Gransnet forums

Food

Can one buy tomato juice?

(32 Posts)
ElderlyPerson Thu 13-May-21 17:51:59

Is it possible to buy tomato juice?

Tomato juice with salt, yes.

Tomato juice with citric acid, yes.

Tomato juice with other stuff added, yes.

But tomato juice, just tomato juice?

And can it be bought in three packs each of 200 millilitres or so? Fruit juices can be bought that way, but not tomato juice as far as I know.

Grandmabatty Thu 13-May-21 18:13:35

I've looked at Tesco and they have two packs of tomato juice; one from concentrate, one pressed tomatoes, nothing added as far as I can tell

kittylester Thu 13-May-21 18:16:20

DH used to drink tomato juice and I could buy pure tomato juice. Haven't looked for a while.

Redhead56 Thu 13-May-21 18:18:49

Yes you can buy it in the juice aisle in supermarkets I use it for all sorts of recipes including bloody Mary’s.

B9exchange Thu 13-May-21 18:19:26

You can certainly buy pure tomato juice, but maybe not in 200 ml cartons, if you want them for a picnic or lunch, could you not decant into a small screwtop container?

ElderlyPerson Thu 13-May-21 18:56:44

Grandmabatty

I've looked at Tesco and they have two packs of tomato juice; one from concentrate, one pressed tomatoes, nothing added as far as I can tell

Could you possibly post a link please as I cannot find them on their website. I found three, all with something added.

Grandmabatty Thu 13-May-21 19:12:44

It was on the Tesco app on my phone so I'm unable to post a link, sorry.

ixion Thu 13-May-21 19:14:57

www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/Product/sainsburys-pure-tomato-juice-1l

Casdon Thu 13-May-21 19:20:06

The only one I know of without salt or anything else added is Biona organic tomato juice, it is stocked on some of the bigger supermarkets, or you could try a health food store?

ixion Thu 13-May-21 19:27:31

B9exchange

You can certainly buy pure tomato juice, but maybe not in 200 ml cartons, if you want them for a picnic or lunch, could you not decant into a small screwtop container?

If I remember correctly, ElderlyPerson does not have a fridge, so the 1 litre packs might cause safe storage issues?

M0nica Thu 13-May-21 20:36:19

Elderlyperson Cartons/bottles of tomato juice contains citric acid and salt (in small quantities) in order to preserve the fruit juice and it's colour, without it I think the juice may go brown, and keep the product stable.

I think it is highly improbable that you will find any tomato juicefor sale that does not contain these two items.

Citric acid is another name for Vitamin C and is used widely in jams, preserves, fruit juices and squashes and other soft drinks.

If you want tomato juice, without these additives then you will need to make it yourself. Crush tomatoes in one of those long tringular sieves (i forget their exact name) with pestle. Use tomatoes with the the reduced for quick sale stickers as thes eill be moving to over ripe and will we easier to juice.

NanaandGrampy Thu 13-May-21 20:59:50

www.jameswhite.co.uk/product/organic-tomato/?gclid=CjwKCAjwnPOEBhA0EiwA609ReSkfIodYj9YOh8GQRwzXjiNY5Gp_iSjpdIowg4JiGNQL065ifTpGcBoCYEgQAvD_BwE

Not 200 mls but 750 ml bottles so you can resell them .

cornishpatsy Thu 13-May-21 21:26:14

Excuse the change of content, I cannot find grapefruit juice anywhere. Have tried Tesco, Morrisons, Marks, and Aldi.

NotSpaghetti Thu 13-May-21 21:32:32

What about Faith in Nature or Tropicana?
They are worth a look.

NotSpaghetti Thu 13-May-21 21:49:01

SORRY Obviously not faith in nature - that's the soap company!!

www.ocado.com/products/tropicana-golden-grapefruit-juice-12684011

www.jameswhite.co.uk/product/organic-tomato/

lemongrove Thu 13-May-21 22:33:02

?
Very good ElderlyPerson here is your Gotcha! Reward trophy and a lovely glass of tomato juice to go with it.wine

lemongrove Thu 13-May-21 22:34:58

Actually it’s rather fab with vodka in it too.

absent Thu 13-May-21 22:41:59

M0nica I think it's called a chinois sieve.

Scribbles Thu 13-May-21 22:53:50

cornishpatsy, there are several kinds of grapefruit juice here:
www.waitrose.com/ecom/shop/search?&searchTerm=grapefruit%20juice

JackyB Fri 14-May-21 07:13:46

"Citric acid is another name for Vitamin C"

I thought Vitamin C was ascorbic acid and Citric acid was lemon juice.

M0nica Fri 14-May-21 07:32:54

Yes, JackyB, you are right I am wrong, I confused the two.

However the below is a quote from a website. The information here may help the OP

^Manufactured citric acid is one of the most common food additives in the world. It’s used to boost acidity, enhance flavor, and preserve ingredients.

Sodas, juices, powdered beverages, candies, frozen foods, and some dairy products often contain manufactured citric acid. It’s also added to canned fruits and vegetables to protect against botulism, a rare but serious illness caused by the toxin-producing Clostridium botulinum bacteria.
www.healthline.com/nutrition/citric-acid

NotSpaghetti Fri 14-May-21 10:35:44

There are several out there without it though.
And also Grapefruit juice for cornishpasty
Sorry NanbaandGrampy. I posted the same as you.
I don't know what I'm doing it seems... I originally suggested my go-to soap!

ElderlyPerson Fri 14-May-21 14:45:01

ixion

B9exchange

If I remember correctly, ElderlyPerson does not have a fridge, so the 1 litre packs might cause safe storage issues?

Well remembered ixion.

However, even with a fridge there remains a problem for me.

Many drinks, such as fruit juices, have 'best served chilled' on them.

I just do not like chilled drinks.

So if I had a litre of tomato juice and drank say, a third of it and put the rest in the fridge then when I wanted to drink some I would need to dechill it in some way, perhaps pouring some into a glass, covering it and then stand it for hours.

With the pure fruit juices, orange, pineapple, apple, apple and mango I can get three packs of 200 millilitres each and with Alpro soya drinks I can get three packs of sttrwaberry flavour and chocolate of 250 millilitres each. Some of these are labelled as 'best served chilled', but I always drink them at ambient temperature. In winter I sometimes add a little boiled water.

I do not want to drink a litre of tomato juice all in one day as this would mean a huge amount of salt in one day.

A 750 millitre bottle of organic tomato with no added salt looks drinkable in one day though, some with breakfast, some mid-afternoon and some in the evening.

cornishpatsy Fri 14-May-21 15:53:58

Thanks, no Waitrose near me but will look for the Tropicana one.

M0nica Fri 14-May-21 20:04:11

Tomatoes naturally contain citric acid, so if you have a problem with citrus fruit and citric acid, it is probably wise to avoid tomato juice as well, even tomato juice without added citric acid.