Gransnet forums

Food

Biscuiteers

(64 Posts)
Baggs Fri 14-May-21 12:24:14

National Biscuit Day is 29 May, apparently. What's your favourite biscuit?

My long-time fave is what my uni friend and I call Dog Biscuits", which are a home-made oaty, crunchy biscuit.

Currently though, my fave is my own home-made digestive bscuits with added chololate chips ?

You?

25Avalon Thu 10-Jun-21 18:28:39

No good if you are in NI. EU say we can’t send biscuits to them as they contain animal products - milk and fat!

Kim19 Thu 10-Jun-21 18:29:01

Not a big biscuit fancier at all but, strangely enough, if Cafe Noir present themselves then I would demolish the whole packet. So pleased they're difficult to obtain now and ridiculously expensive if using mail order.

Redhead56 Thu 10-Jun-21 18:30:42

It sounds disgusting but on rare occasions I like butter on digestives.

lemongrove Thu 10-Jun-21 18:31:22

Sago

I fantasise over two biscuit types of yesteryear.
The first was a Rondello, it was the size of a dustbin lid and you only got a few in a box.
The second was a digestive base with a caramac topping.
Oh the good old days?

I don’t remember either....how far back are we going 40’s?

lemongrove Thu 10-Jun-21 18:32:41

JackyB

I used to have to bring back Penguins from the UK for my boys when they were younger and still living at home. When did they stop making them?

Have they stopped making them?

25Avalon Thu 10-Jun-21 18:37:46

A Scotsman I worked with used to give me his snack of rich tea biscuits sandwiched together with butter. Very nice actually although dd’s hate them.

Blossoming Thu 10-Jun-21 18:42:54

Stop it! You’re making me hungry grin

Fennel Thu 10-Jun-21 19:24:56

I suppose the very first were gingersnaps which I made at home. my friend and I used to to bake batches at home on a Sunday, take them to school and sell them the next day.
JackyB they still make Penguins ++ and I still buy them and eat them. I first came across them at the tuck shop in college - that's when I started to put on weight.

Fennel Thu 10-Jun-21 19:29:17

ps it was only recently that I found out that the word 'biscuit' means twice (bis) cuit( cooked}. We didn't cook ours twice.

Claretjan Thu 10-Jun-21 19:55:46

My grandma always had biscuits that looked like round langues de chat biscuits. I loved them but I can't remember their name and I haven't seen them for sale for many years.

Callistemon Thu 10-Jun-21 19:57:31

Fennel

ps it was only recently that I found out that the word 'biscuit' means twice (bis) cuit( cooked}. We didn't cook ours twice.

I often wondered why as we don't usually bake ours twice but I did make almond biscuits with an Italian friend ages ago.

Each biscuit roll was baked, sliced and baked again.

Callistemon Thu 10-Jun-21 19:59:42

Mary Berry's fork biscuits are incredibly easy but go very quickly!
thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/fork-biscuits

JackyB Fri 11-Jun-21 07:38:59

So this thread started 2 weeks before biscuit day and was picked up again yesterday - over a week after it! Did anyone actually do anything in the day? I admit I completely forgot and only ate the same amount of bisbuits as I usually do!