Gransnet forums

Food

... And what's the best food you've ever cooked yourself?

(110 Posts)
JackyB Thu 20-May-21 12:43:25

Don't be shy. Feel welcome to boast of your best cuisine accomplishment.

Mine was a simple soup made with veg I found in the fridge enriched with a piece of marrowbone. I doubt I'll ever be able to recreate that taste.

Ro60 Sun 06-Jun-21 09:59:23

Brocciu Cannelloni - been watching "Time is a killer" and this is a dish they ate. Wondering what it was a quick Google produced a little gem.
The mint in the ricotta filling was a lovely surprise.

timetogo2016 Sun 06-Jun-21 09:29:49

I cook a lovely beef stew and apple crumble according to my dh.
My son loves my bran and chocolate cookies.
I like my fish pie .

Blinko Sat 05-Jun-21 10:25:33

May7 done it! Yay! TYVM

Naninka Thu 27-May-21 19:35:32

Oh sorry, just seen above.

Naninka Thu 27-May-21 19:34:46

May7

For you Rumbabba
Perfect microwaved poached eggs

How do you make them please?

Blinko Wed 26-May-21 20:36:44

May7

Hi Blinko microwaved poached eggs

I half fill a flatsided pyrex mug with room temperature water and crack a free range egg into it. I then microwave 800w on full power for 1 minute. Leave it to stand for 30secs and drain onto kitchen paper.
I've tried every other method and this one turns out the best for me.

Wow, thanks May7 I'll definitely try that. I love poached eggs.

Sarahmob Mon 24-May-21 17:08:47

janipans thank you so much ?

janipans Mon 24-May-21 14:45:15

Sarahmob

Janipans I’ve never tried hot water crust for a meat pie before, do you just top it or is top and bottom pastry?

Saramob: this is a link to the recipe I use
www.odlums.ie/recipes/steak-onion-pie/
Pastry is so quick to make and just sits on top of pie.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 24-May-21 12:02:24

I have an ice cream machine - one of those which is like a miniature freezer. Best Christmas present ever. We all love ice cream. Currently in the freezers (we have three!) are coffee, chocolate, honey, clotted cream, pineapple and lemon. My favourite, which we’re out of, is lemon with raspberry ripple. I also make a delicious toffee ice cream and a Mars Bar one which is nicer and cheaper than bought from the shops.

May7 Mon 24-May-21 10:46:46

Hi Blinko microwaved poached eggs

I half fill a flatsided pyrex mug with room temperature water and crack a free range egg into it. I then microwave 800w on full power for 1 minute. Leave it to stand for 30secs and drain onto kitchen paper.
I've tried every other method and this one turns out the best for me.

BelindaB Mon 24-May-21 10:40:22

I'm told that I make the best meat and potato pie in the world - and not just by family. Also make wonderful roast potatoes and my cheese sauce (a secret family recipe) is wonderful.

I love making soups and have just come up with a new one - lentil and lemon - delicious!

I've always cooked from scratch and in many ways, made a stick for my own back as none of my family (even the grandkids) will tolerate biscuits, soups or cakes from the shops. I think thats a compliment....

Bluecat Mon 24-May-21 09:56:20

Lamb and apricot tagine. My SiL actually groaned, "Oh, yes!" when he tasted it.

I have a reasonable repertoire of Indian dishes - curries, puris, samosas, pakoras, etc. I have been cooking them for 43 years, ever since I married my Indian husband. Can't make dosas, though. I've cried with frustration over the damn things.

Home-made strawberry ice cream is always yummy, and incredibly easy.

Shropshirelass Mon 24-May-21 09:14:45

Creamy lemon butter chicken thighs with Parmesan and spinach.

Blinko Mon 24-May-21 09:12:56

May7

For you Rumbabba
Perfect microwaved poached eggs

Great pics. I love poached eggs but seem to get lots of wasted 'white'. How exactly would you do them in the mw though? Sorry to repeat someone elses question...

Blinko Mon 24-May-21 09:08:21

Bread and Butter Pudding made with hot cross buns and marmalade. A la Jamie. Should that be 'au Jamie'?

Llamedos13 Mon 24-May-21 03:57:27

My cranberry and chocolate chip muffins are most requested by my family.

sharon103 Sun 23-May-21 23:31:10

Thanks ever so much Annsixty for writing your Yorkshire Pudding recipe out. I'll give it a go.
I can never get mine to rise so 'Auntie Bessie' comes to the rescue but they're not the same as homemade.

I found the Grans recipe finder in the 'Latest' box on the right hand side but there's not a Yorkshire pud one. I found one for a Victoria sponge which I'll try.
Thanks again.

Aepgirl Sun 23-May-21 21:11:15

My Lemon meringue Pis is always a winner.

muse Sun 23-May-21 20:43:56

These get asked for by the family so thinking they must be OK

Yorkshire Puddings / Toad in the hole
Delia's christmas pudding
Pork a la creme (from the Hamlyn Cook Book)
Hairy Dieters: Rich Beef in Red Wine
Cheese and Onion Tart - mixture is blended so super smooth.
Beetroot brownies
Brinjal pickle (aubergines)

annsixty Sun 23-May-21 20:28:16

Catlover
My recipe for Yorkshire Pudding is one I got from GN ages ago and came originally I think from the tv chef Brian Turner.
Get two tumblers of the same size, break two large eggs in one of them.
In the next one fill to the exact same level with plain flour and add salt to taste, I use about a level tsp.
Put the flour in a bowl and then fill that tumbler with milk to the exact same level as the eggs.
Pour the eggs into the flour and stir to mix ,when incorporated start adding the milk while whisking and when all is added whisk until the whole surface is completely covered in bubbles.
Refrigerate until time to cook.
I find this makes 6 individual puds.
Heat oil or dripping in tins until smoking, about 210 degrees.
Pour mix into the tins and reduce temperature to 200.
Cook for about 25 mins, do not open the oven door, when well risen and golden switch the oven off and leave for 5/10 mins.
Good luck and good cooking.

rozina Sun 23-May-21 19:54:26

Mine was a chicken I prepared taking all the bones out; then I made a pork and veal stuffing with brandy and pistachio nuts and other things, rolled and poached the whole chicken, dried it out in the oven and then put it inside puff pastry. This was a special dinner party. I started with jellied beef Consomme served with sour cream and caviar, and finished with sponge layered desert of sponge cream and fresh fruits.

sharon103 Sun 23-May-21 19:11:43

I'd like to boast that I make the best Yorkshire puddings and the best Victoria Sponge. but I can't.
Any Grans recipes would be welcome.
I've had a look on the forums page but can't find anything.

HurdyGurdy Sun 23-May-21 18:41:48

I make a wonderful Pina Colada Cheesecake. I do tend to be a bit fast and loose with the rum though wink grin

grandMattie Sun 23-May-21 16:58:01

The family thinks my forcemeat balls with the Christmas turkey the best in the world!
DH likes everything I cook, his mother was a very plain cook, but fabulous pie maker - I don't "do" pies. Hate making pastry!
My other big family favorite is the famous chocolate fudge pudding - a self-saucing chocolate cake thingy.

Braganza Sun 23-May-21 16:49:48

Hi Fuseta - I thought I was going to be the only vegan on here! I love cooking and don't usually follow recipes. Today I made a Moroccan - style dish. I cut extra firm tofu into large cubes and rolled them in a spice mix - mixed spice, cumin powder, smoked paprika, sumac and harissa spices. Then gently fried them in olive oil. In another pot I fried onions, garlic, a red chilli, chunks of courgette, strips of roasted red peppers, halved queen olives, black pepper, and dried thyme. Then combined the two with some bouillon, the crusty bits from the pan that I cooked the tofu in, thickened with some cornflour. I served it with rice and steamed broccoli.