Gransnet forums

Food

... And what's the best food you've ever cooked yourself?

(109 Posts)
JackyB Thu 20-May-21 12:43:25

Don't be shy. Feel welcome to boast of your best cuisine accomplishment.

Mine was a simple soup made with veg I found in the fridge enriched with a piece of marrowbone. I doubt I'll ever be able to recreate that taste.

Cfaz49 Thu 20-May-21 12:46:49

Tartiflette. With salad, pickles and charcuterie!
Delicious Hairy Bikers recipe. A horrendous amount of calories.

GagaJo Thu 20-May-21 13:29:50

I made an amazing lentil cottage pie once. But as JackyB said, it was a bits and pieces, thrown together thing and I've not been able to make it as well again.

My lemon cakes are always banging tho!

May7 Thu 20-May-21 13:39:40

Perfect poached eggs on toast using the microwave.

Urmstongran Thu 20-May-21 13:42:14

My lemon cakes are always banging tho!

Hopefully not on the plate GagaJo.
?

hazel93 Thu 20-May-21 13:52:14

Beef and guinness pie - always a winner.
The sainted Delias champagne jellies.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-May-21 13:52:24

For someone that doesn’t really like pastry I appear to be very good at making/baking anything pastry related.

Firm favourites are Salmon en Croute, Beef Wellington, Apple Pie and Mince Pies.

J52 Thu 20-May-21 14:10:01

Chuck steak in brown ale casserole. Never fails

kittylester Thu 20-May-21 14:20:42

Gf sponges!

LadyGracie Thu 20-May-21 16:33:18

Apple cake from Farmhouse Kitchen cookbook.
Victoria sponges.
Yorkshire puddings.
Scones.
Crustless quiche.

Total failure at pastry.

AGAA4 Thu 20-May-21 16:51:15

I used to make Cumberland Courting Cakes. They all disappeared in a few minutes at the local fete with people saying how good they were. I was so chuffed.

Artaylar Thu 20-May-21 17:27:06

While I'm a pretty rubbish cook I do have a 'master dish' - a sea food risotto called Molly Malone's risotto from a Tesco recipe book in the 1980's. It's always gone down really well if family or friends have come round for a meal.

Scentia Thu 20-May-21 18:11:05

I make the most amazing vegan lentil and vegetable curry, it has been spoken about around our close and a lady knocked my door to ask if I would make some for a vegan friend who was visiting the following day. I can’t cook anything else, just that. DH does all the rest of the cooking!!!

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 20-May-21 18:19:19

I make the original Coronation chicken recipe from the Constance Spry cookery book. It is always popular. I also make a chocolate cheesecake (uncooked) which I have made for over 40 years. Delicious. I am known for my cakes - mainly chocolate. I am the only person I know who makes their own bread sauce and stuffing - does anyone else?

hazel93 Thu 20-May-21 18:42:25

Stopped making bread sauce once MIL died - she loved it but noone else did !
Always make my own stuffing , simple sage and onion or whatever is at hand. Do love chestnut stuffing for Christmas though, a tad expensive to make these days but the smell takes me back to my childhood and unlike bread sauce everyone likes it .

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 20-May-21 18:45:22

hazel93

Stopped making bread sauce once MIL died - she loved it but noone else did !
Always make my own stuffing , simple sage and onion or whatever is at hand. Do love chestnut stuffing for Christmas though, a tad expensive to make these days but the smell takes me back to my childhood and unlike bread sauce everyone likes it .

The two people who didn’t like bread sauce was my daughter’s Australian boyfriend and a Kiwi friend. They weren’t really sure what it was and couldn’t understand why it should be part of a meal! I love it.

kittylester Thu 20-May-21 20:33:47

My bread sauce is in huge demand. I make about 6 pints every Christmas.

Lin52 Thu 20-May-21 20:45:32

According to my SIL I make the best steak and kidney pudding he’s ever tasted.

Jaxjacky Thu 20-May-21 20:52:24

Curries, I went to night school taught by an Indian man in his sixties, I was about 34, as well as learning about spices and technique, he gave me confidence. They require loads of spices, a lot of time and my days of making curries for 10 people + are slowly waning. That and an ancient Delia recipe for a baked cheesecake.

NotAGran55 Thu 20-May-21 21:33:46

Eggs , any way you like . Fluffy soft omelettes, creamy scrambled , perfectly poached , coddled , fried , boiled ...all delicious and quick.

GagaJo Thu 20-May-21 21:54:19

I learned to make stuffing when I lived in the USA and didn't like their version.

They're not my cup of tea, but my grandson loves my sweet potato chips. I can't cook them fast enough to fill him up.

My Christmas cakes always used to be great, but for some reason (lack of practise) I've lost the knack of them.

dogsmother Thu 20-May-21 22:23:59

Christmas cakes. And a decent Victoria sponge too.

Maggiemaybe Thu 20-May-21 23:33:27

DH does nearly all the cooking these days, but my Creole Christmas Cake, sticky gingerbread and rice/bread puddings are spoken of in hushed tones round here (I’m guessing that’s a good thing grin). I make my own stuffings and cranberry sauce at Christmas and a rather moreish bread sauce, if I do say so myself. Credit to the sainted Delia for all the above.

MiniMoon Fri 21-May-21 02:10:02

I make a wonderful butter chicken, time do consuming but worth the effort.
Every Christmas I have to make a pavlova with some sort of fruit filling. I even get requests to make them for others.
And yesterday my husband said that the mushroom gravy I made at lunch time was the best he'd ever tasted.

absent Fri 21-May-21 06:04:49

A large part of my career in publishing involved writing cookbooks. I tested the recipes and, if necessary, adjusted them. I feel pretty positive about the many cookbooks I have written.

However, the dishes of which I am proudest are the ones when suddenly, late in the evening, I was presented with half a dozen – or more– hungry teenage friends of my daughter. I would make pancakes and a fresh vegetable mix, sprinkle it all with grated cheese and, perhaps, a béchamel sauce and feed what seemed like the 5,000. It was never the same again and again and again and….