Gransnet forums

Food

Sensitive to onions

(28 Posts)
dahlia Sun 23-May-21 17:23:25

For the past two years I have become sensitive to onions, including leeks and garlic. I am also a vegetarian, and onions of course are an essential ingredient in many recipes. I have made Cornish pasties without onion, and tried other recipes which have turned out too bland. Have you any suggestions for what I can add to my quiches, etc., to mask the missing essential onion, please.

dahlia Thu 03-Jun-21 17:45:52

Thank you so much for your helpful messages, and I will certainly follow them up. Just knowing I am not alone makes me feel better, and of course if one can relax more, this has a direct influence on your stomach, though at times easier said than done!
Thanks again. smile

varian Thu 03-Jun-21 17:51:49

One of our family has this problem and I recently made a version of ratatouille without onion or garlic - aubergine, courgette, yellow peppers, tomatoes, olive oil, plenty of herbs (basil, oregano), VH vegetable juice, salt, pepper, dash of tabasco. He said he enjoyed it and had second helping. We all ate it, even DH who eats onions in almost every meal, and it tasted fine.