Gransnet forums

Food

Fear of Tofu!!

(67 Posts)
mrswoo Tue 01-Jun-21 15:25:50

I am not a veggie/vegan but DH and I like to eat a healthy diet. We eat a lot of meals which could be classified as "vegetarian" but the one thing we have never tried is tofu.
I would like to try it but honestly feel a bit daunted by it! I've read some recipes which seem a bit complicated and involve (unless I've completely misunderstood) squeezing it to dry it.
I'm also afraid that it may taste horrible and I just don't feel brave enough to find out

I would love to hear from any tofu-lovers ( or even tofu-haters) - all much needed advice and encouragement would be gratefully received.

Shandy57 Mon 07-Jun-21 11:23:21

I'm not keen on tofu, I don't like the texture. I don't eat meat or fish and do experiment with different proteins, my daughter has introduced me to the Paneer cheese which I prefer.

GrammarGrandma Mon 07-Jun-21 10:03:38

I love tofu and eat it several times a week! It doesn't have a strong taste, which makes it very versatile. And it gives me the protein I need as a vegetarian.

Witzend Mon 07-Jun-21 09:05:51

A dd worked in Aceh (Indonesia) in the aftermath of the tsunami. One of her livelihoods projects was supporting local women making tofu from scratch, to sell. We visited a couple of years after the tsunami, saw the whole process in a village, using very simple equipment, and tasted the (fried) results. It was all very interesting and we enjoyed the end product.

Craftycat Mon 07-Jun-21 08:57:03

It doesn't taste of anything so you have to add things to give it some flavour. I gave up on it when I was Veggie. It's just like rubber.

lizzypopbottle Sun 06-Jun-21 15:41:09

Marinated tofu is worth trying. The texture is a bit like the crispy edges of an omelette. It's nice in a stir fry.

Rowsie Sun 06-Jun-21 10:56:16

I am a vegetarian but rarely eat tofu. I don't particularly like the texture. However, sometimes I do order it in restaurants as they seem to be able to cook it better than I have ever managed. If you sometimes eat out why not try it in a restaurant and see how you feel about it.

Sloegin Sun 06-Jun-21 02:12:54

Despite being a farmer's daughter I haven't eaten meat for nearly 30 years and it Tofu regularly. I prefer the Tofoo brand to the Cauldron. I either stir fry cubes or, more often cook it in the oven either sliced or cubed. I simply pre heat a roasting tin with a tiny bit of oil in it. I then toss the tofu in the tin to coat it in oil and sprinkle on a bit of soya sauce. Cook until almost crisp. I add cooked cubes to stir fry or casseroles or sometimes eat slices with potatoes, veg and home made apple sauce. I also sometimes, for breakfast, fry very thin slices sprinkled with smoked paprika - a sort of vegan bacon. It's versatile stuff. Just experiment and discover how you prefer to cook it.

Shizam Sat 05-Jun-21 23:32:43

It’s a bulk option of protein if you’re not adding meat. So pack in flavours, garlic, chilli, veg, etc. It’s there to be alternative filler to meat. Not the star of the show! I quite like its weird consistency!

muffinthemoo Sat 05-Jun-21 21:56:02

I find the texture of tofu impossible, but I must defend my beloved quinoa when I see it being maligned

Mollygo Sat 05-Jun-21 21:48:50

I don’t like it, so I don’t eat it, but I did try it, cooked by my DD who loves to cook meals with tofu as an occasional change from meat.

Yorki Sat 05-Jun-21 21:29:47

It sounds like you have to cook it with loads of flavoursome ingredients to hide the taste. ?

stewaris Sat 05-Jun-21 20:05:53

I shop at an organic farm shop and they have several different flavours - unflavoured, basil, Rosso (we love) and turmeric (we found it kind of disgusting. The unflavoured and the rosso DH uses in curries. The rosso can be used in curries, Thai food or Italian. We tend to use the basil one for Italian. Neither of us are veggie we just like trying different things. I think the one with quite a bit of fluid is the silken one. It was disgusting or at least we thought it was but you can get one that's a solid block. That one's definitely the best.

Pedwards Sat 05-Jun-21 18:58:37

Tofu is a bit like haloumi, in that it has little taste, but texture, it needs marinating first to absorb other flavours, helpful addition to a veggie diet - you need to dry it, but kitchen paper is fine just to absorb the water that’s it’s saved in

hamster58 Sat 05-Jun-21 15:49:14

I was given it once or twice by a Japanese friend ages ago. It reminded me of those odd solid white sponges you can just wet and use to clean things without chemicals!! A pointless food in my opinion. Actually for me there are quite a few of those things being added to food these days. I’m not vegan and therefore don’t understand that aspect of food but there is seems a lot out there being used ‘for the sake of it’. Chia seeds spring to mind….

annifrance Sat 05-Jun-21 15:44:45

Living here in deepest rural France where the hunt is a big part of the community I am have a bit of a giggle at the thought of these hunter/gatherers being presented with tofu! I don't think I have ever seen it in the local supermarkets.

Our great friend is the son and grandson of highly regarded butchers. He lives to eat, and most of that is meat! We raise pigs together and it is a big celebration when it comes to the end product. He spends hours preparing joints, pate, sausages, black and white pudding, rillettes etc etc. It's wonderful stuff. He hates curry because is disguises the flavour of the meat. I am minded to serve him a tofu meal just to see his reaction!

Riggie Sat 05-Jun-21 14:23:32

Dont like it.
Soya is to be avoided anyway as I'm on thyroid meds

Shirls52000 Sat 05-Jun-21 14:11:13

I m not vegetarian but I do like tofu in a stir fry, it’s lovely fried so that it’s a bit crispy on the outside but it does need a fair bit of flavouring.

Childofthe60s Sat 05-Jun-21 14:01:03

I'm veggie and my DD is vegan. I've tried using it several times and it just falls apart. I thought it was the pressing that was the problem, so tried it without and it still fell to tiny bits. The meals end up looking like they contain milk that's separated into little lumps. Waste of money for the tofu and the press.

fuseta Sat 05-Jun-21 13:53:30

I buy the smoked tofu chunks and am having it in a stir fry tonight. DH has chicken in his and I swear mine is tastier. I also made some cashew cheese yesterday which turned out well. Just had a toasted sandswich with it and Richmonds new fake bacon. The cheese melted and it was delicious! I have been vegan for 2 years and I am really enjoying experimenting with all the different flavours!

Jillybird Sat 05-Jun-21 13:51:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sluttygran Sat 05-Jun-21 12:42:25

My daughter is a VERY committed vegan, and she and her family are staying with me for a few weeks.
I'm afraid that tofu is mandatory, and I have grown to quite enjoy it.

Hemgranot Sat 05-Jun-21 12:16:13

I’ve learned to like tofu over the two decades plus that I’ve been vegetarian. It really is best fried for me.
My favourite Chinese meal is salt and pepper tofu.

My husband puts firm tofu in the freezer, then drains off and squeezes out the liquid when it’s thawed out. Then fries it with lots of flavourings.

He sometimes buys the stuff that needs to be rehydrated. I could not cope with the texture of that although he likes it.

Kartush Sat 05-Jun-21 11:57:34

I love Tofu, i buy hard tofu, drain it chop it into cubes marinate it in hokien sauce then bake in the oven, its great to just eat as a snack or pop in salads. Also great in stir fries.

HiPpyChick57 Sat 05-Jun-21 11:52:33

Not fussed on the texture of tofu myself. Very rubbery.
As a vegan it’s one of the foods I’ve tried and not been overly impressed with. In my mind it’s not worth all the effort of trying to make it taste nice... jackfruit is another no from me!

Candelle Sat 05-Jun-21 11:28:59

Love it!

Give it a quick squeeze (yes, really!) so excess water runs out.

Next, put it in a marinade or if pushed, into readymade marinade and leave for 30-60 minutes - it's not time critical.

Cook up a stir-fry and briefly fry the tofu for a couple of minutes, adding cashew nuts for a minute or two then noodles (cooked separately). Combine and serve. Really delicious, inexpensive (especially if making the stir-fry from ingredients lurking in the bottom of the 'fridge), quick and .... delicious.

Tofu also seems to keep forever - we often forget it's there and use it when out if date but haven't dropped dead yet.