Gransnet forums

Food

Lasagne and what ?

(105 Posts)
Lucca Fri 18-Jun-21 07:49:16

I’m making Mary Berry’s sausagemeat lasagne (again !) for a couple of friends tonight. Any interesting thoughts about what to serve with it ? ( Garlic bread disagrees strongly with me)

foxie48 Fri 18-Jun-21 09:23:23

Plain green salad with a good dressing would be perfect for me. I think lasagne is rich enough so wouldn't want more tomatoes or cheese with it I might add some good bread as an extra filler for others though.

Kalu Fri 18-Jun-21 09:24:22

Celeriac coleslaw, also from Waitrose. Delish if you like celeriac of course.
Quick and easy salad dressing:
Olive oil
S&P
Tarragon Vinegar - add ingredients to taste
I also add some Demerara sugar, very small amount, stir.

Lucca Fri 18-Jun-21 09:51:37

To all those doubting the sausage meat lasagne, it is an absolute favourite with friends and family, many of whom are proper “foodies”. This coming from someone who lived in Italy for four years by the way !

I always use fresh lasagne sheets by the way.

Lucca Fri 18-Jun-21 09:53:25

I shall do sago’s salad . I think anything mayonnaisey would not work.
I may get a focaccia from our wonderful local artisan baker.

Puzzler61 Fri 18-Jun-21 09:56:13

Please add a link for the recipe Lucca .

Ellianne Fri 18-Jun-21 09:56:18

So, now for the important bit. Which wine Lucca?

Puzzler61 Fri 18-Jun-21 09:57:00

Has to be a good Chianti doesn’t it? ? ??

Callistemon Fri 18-Jun-21 09:58:45

A green salad with cucumber and other crunchy vegetables like sugar snap peas.
I often mix fresh herbs with a green salad but there may be plenty of herbs in the lasagne.

I'm sorry, but I must insist on just one piece of garlic bread!

Lucca Fri 18-Jun-21 10:04:40

Puzzler61

Please add a link for the recipe Lucca .

I did! But here it is again
www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/express_lasagne_51375

Deedaa Fri 18-Jun-21 10:06:00

The recipe looks ok although I would use Italian sausages which taste quite different. In Italy the salad would be served as a separate course but no one's going to care in this country. Chianti or Valpolicella or if you are pushing the boat out, a good Barolo or Amarone.

Lucca Fri 18-Jun-21 10:08:21

Ellianne

So, now for the important bit. Which wine Lucca?

Oh don’t! I’m not supposed to drink wine anymore either !!
I shall leave that decision to the bloke, he can bring something suitable. … maybe a Valpolicella?

Lucca Fri 18-Jun-21 10:10:03

Deedaa

The recipe looks ok although I would use Italian sausages which taste quite different. In Italy the salad would be served as a separate course but no one's going to care in this country. Chianti or Valpolicella or if you are pushing the boat out, a good Barolo or Amarone.

Not sure it needs Italian sausage, as there a lot of other flavours going on
I’d like to see if it worked with veggie sausagemeant for my DIL.

dragonfly46 Fri 18-Jun-21 10:15:59

I don't see why it would be any more fatty than mince if you used good quality sausage meat.
I shall certainly try it as it looks lovely.

timetogo2016 Fri 18-Jun-21 10:17:28

Salad,cheese bread,i prefer garlic myself and of course baby beets.

Lucca Fri 18-Jun-21 10:18:45

dragonfly46

I don't see why it would be any more fatty than mince if you used good quality sausage meat.
I shall certainly try it as it looks lovely.

Actually I’ve found it less so if anything. I still make standard lasagne occasionally though.

Let me know what you think !

kittylester Fri 18-Jun-21 10:26:47

I'm going to try it too!! One of my most requested pasta sauces is a sausage meat and red wine one. It is a recipe by an Italian chef whose name escapes me now. I use Sainsbury's TTD Cumberland sausages, squeezed.

Kali2 Fri 18-Jun-21 10:29:32

BTW, I never bother to make bechamel for lasagna. I just use cornflower, with salt, pepper, herbs - it works just as well- much easier and quicker, and less calories too. Win, win.

Puzzler61 Fri 18-Jun-21 10:34:10

Thank you. I’ll try it too Lucca.
Whatever you serve with it have a great time with your friends tonight. ?????

Sago Fri 18-Jun-21 11:06:55

Sausage meat is great for lasagne or minced pork.
I always add a few red lentils to the ragu.

fevertree Fri 18-Jun-21 11:23:40

I never make bechanmel for lasagne either. I slosh on creme fraiche thinned down with a bit of milk, and a small amount of grated cheese for the layers and more grated cheese for the top layer.

I will give this recipe a try, looks good and I'm interested to see the creme fraiche goes in the filling.

Salads - I'd add a sharp fruit to a green salad e.g. clementines, a nice foil for the rich lasagne. Halved small clementines in a salad are so pretty. Decorative and edible!

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 18-Jun-21 11:28:05

When my son makes lasagne he also includes sausagemeat. He has an Italian friend whose mother always did this. Delicious. Serve with a green salad.

Lucca Fri 18-Jun-21 13:45:35

kittylester

I'm going to try it too!! One of my most requested pasta sauces is a sausage meat and red wine one. It is a recipe by an Italian chef whose name escapes me now. I use Sainsbury's TTD Cumberland sausages, squeezed.

I have a very old recipe for pasta (penne, macaroni, conchiglie,farfalle whatever) with sausage meat grated carrot and passata.

muffinthemoo Fri 18-Jun-21 14:03:24

I await the widespread condemnation that will no doubt follow, but… a few chips

Mattsmum2 Fri 18-Jun-21 14:16:13

Agree a good salad, I’ve been putting pomegranate seeds and toasted mixed seeds in mine that give it a natural crunch. Simple dressing, two tablespoons of olive oil, one teaspoon each of Dijon mustard, runny honey and white or red wine vinegar. This is enough for two, so you can increase as needed.

nanna8 Sat 19-Jun-21 01:44:34

Definitely salad. A nice Greek one with feta and olives, tomatoes and lettuce. I also put a few red onion rings in and an olive oil dressing, whatever flavour you want ( garlic for me but could use lemon juice and black pepper)