Gransnet forums

Food

oven heat for chicken

(9 Posts)
Fennel Sun 04-Jul-21 12:06:55

I was going to ask about oven heat for chicken joints and now I've seen the thread on sticky chicken legs.
I'm quite a good cook normally but my baked or roast chicken always turns out very dry.
Probably because I cook it on too high a heat. ie gas 7-8.
It's usually a chicken cut into 8.
What's the correct heat and what else can I do to stop it drying out? I don't want to use butter.
And if it's a whole chicken with stuffing inside would that be the same?

tanith Sun 04-Jul-21 12:25:10

I cook mine at 170* which is gas mark 3 or 4 .

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 04-Jul-21 12:27:53

Fan 180 for a whole chicken - one and a half hours.
45 minutes for chicken pieces.
Lots of basting too.

jusnoneed Sun 04-Jul-21 14:13:54

I cook my chicken, whole or pieces, Gas 6. About hour and half for whole one and 30/45 mins depending on size for pieces.

Katie59 Sun 04-Jul-21 14:24:03

180 for 90mins to stop it drying a pot of water in the pan with foil over the whole pan to keep the steam in. Take foil off after 60 mins a bit less for a fan oven.

Elegran Sun 04-Jul-21 14:27:17

I've not had dried-our chicken pieces since I was given a good food thermometer as a present. Whatever temperature you cook it at - for a fast or slow cook - the inside has to be at 74 degrees C. That is usually sooner than you expect, so most chicken gets over-cooked and dry. The Christmas after the one when I was given it, I bought three as gifts. Each of the recipients has said since that at first they thought "A nice gadget, but it won't get much use!" but has found it absolutely indispensible.

(PS the make of my thermometer is Superfast Thermal Pen 3 - and no, I don't get any commission for mentioning it.)

Elegran Sun 04-Jul-21 14:28:54

Not dried-our. That should read dried-out.

timetogo2016 Wed 07-Jul-21 09:31:17

I cook my chicken upsidedown so the juices go into the breast.
150 for around an hour and a half,depending on the size.

Fennel Wed 07-Jul-21 11:22:26

Thanks for all the replies. I realise I've been cooking it with the oven too hot.
Never thought about testing the temperature of the inside. Basting is also important.And also maybe marinating overnight in some mix including oil. Plus plenty of onion.