Gransnet forums

Food

Oh what to eat in this hot weather

(100 Posts)
Gingster Wed 21-Jul-21 08:44:50

Any ideas on what to have for lunch or dinner.
We’re fed up with salads
Too hot to cook much . Something light and tasty.

What’s everyone having today?

Thanks for your menus!

Nanna58 Thu 22-Jul-21 11:21:22

Have wholeheartedly embraced the ‘traybake’ either chicken or cod or salmon, with asparagus new potatoes lemon and capers for the salmon, and Mediterranean mixed veg and tomato and olives for the chicken. Serve latter with Middle Eastern flatbread from Waitrose. Usually strawberries at mo for pud

helgawills Thu 22-Jul-21 11:23:48

I like veg (large mushrooms, courgettes, etc,) stuffed with couscous (from packet, but added veg like peppers, sugarsnaps),
then crisped in the oven. Can top with cheese if not vegan

Moggycuddler Thu 22-Jul-21 11:27:26

Salads!!

grandtanteJE65 Thu 22-Jul-21 11:36:15

As much as possible. The hot weather makes me absolutely starving as I have so much extra energy and no aches or pains.

I obviously wasn't designed to live in a cold country!

To those plagued by the heat:

An omlette, either plain or with muschrooms.

A couple of slices of ham with cold boiled new potatoes

A cold soup, gazpacho or the like.

Ham, thinly sliced and wrapped round boiled asparaguas

Beanie654321 Thu 22-Jul-21 11:51:32

Light meals, I find vegan meals lighter and take less cooking and prep. Mediterranean Roasted Veg for example, cut up veg, sprinkle with garlic, chillies and herbs and bung in the oven. Cook 45 mins and serve. Tasty and so easy.

H1954 Thu 22-Jul-21 12:00:19

Lucca

H1954

Salmon and broccoli with tagliatelle creme fraishe horseradish and lemon zest. Takes minutes to prepare and it's so tasty. I use fresh tagliatelle which only needs three minutes cooking time.

Right I’m having that tonight !!

Hope you enjoyed it Lucca; it's a BBC Good Food recipe named Smoked salmon, watercress and horseradish pasta. The recipe uses linguine but we use tagliatelle and swap the smoke salmon for poached salmon and the watercress for broccoli.

jaylucy Thu 22-Jul-21 12:07:58

When it's warm like this, the salmon with new potatoes etc is always good with or without salad!
I love pasta, with crispy cooked bacon and halved cherry or baby plum tomatoes whatever herbs you like then either a dollop of mayo, greek yoghurt or any salad dressing. Lovely when still warm!
Just purchased an air fryer, so will be trying that out over the next few days.

Lucca Thu 22-Jul-21 12:09:04

Thank you. I did not do it last night as I ended up playing tennis and just had soup…. Tonight I shall try it , it would be good to try as I could make it for vegetarian DIL

travelsafar Thu 22-Jul-21 12:17:51

I have been rather lazy were food is concerned during this hot spell. Very often its just a sandwich or a bowl of cornflakes with some berries or a banana. I have just prepared a lovely green salad for later and put it in the fridge so will be lovely and crisp. I shall add some ham and a hardboiled egg as protein and i may possible have a homemade bread roll from the freezer if i feel the need, in this weather it won't take long to defrost. I have resisted buying ice creams as i know i would be in and out of the freezer using the excuse of the weather. All those extra calories, sugar and fat i certainly dont need!!!!

Alioop Thu 22-Jul-21 12:30:19

I'm no help, another bloomin salad for me. I swear my ears are getting longer I've ate that much of the darn stuff.

Mamie Thu 22-Jul-21 12:42:24

Mostly using our gas barbecue wheeled into deep shade. Sometimes salad or our own frozen ratatouille as accompaniments, sometimes new potatoes or asparagus cooked in tinfoil parcels. So far this week we have had tandoori chicken, whole turbot (from the fish market), kebabs of duck and dried figs and tonight is pork fillet marinated in spices and herbs.

velaine Thu 22-Jul-21 12:43:45

Wow that sounds tasty woukd you mind going through how to make this please

velaine Thu 22-Jul-21 12:45:31

H1954 sorry just read further on and its there definitely trying this ?

seacliff Thu 22-Jul-21 12:55:41

I am weird. I will eat a fruity nutty muesli with Greek yoghurt, and added strawberries, for any meal.

seacliff Thu 22-Jul-21 12:57:47

Also love halloumi in a roll with sweet chilli sauce, or with a plain omelette and tomatoes.

grannybuy Thu 22-Jul-21 13:20:11

Cold hard boiled eggs with a little mayonnaise and some tomato, beetroot and olives. I don’t like salad leaves.

TillyTrotter Thu 22-Jul-21 13:26:45

Any salad really. Ham salad, tuna salad, beetroot salad, avocado salad. Adding small new potatoes make it more filling.
A dish of fruit at some point during the day, e.g. apple slices, strawberries, cherries, tangerines, raspberries.
I seem to need more drinks and less food in this current hot spell.

coastalgran Thu 22-Jul-21 13:32:38

Salmon tonight with new potatoes and a tomato.

Esspee Thu 22-Jul-21 14:06:07

Vegetable curry, spicy onions, mango chilli salad, coriander nan and raita. (everything home made except the nan.)
Having lived in the tropics I know a hot meal really works.

elleks Thu 22-Jul-21 14:14:59

Gingster

Any ideas on what to have for lunch or dinner.
We’re fed up with salads
Too hot to cook much . Something light and tasty.

What’s everyone having today?

Thanks for your menus!

Chilled soup?

cupcake1 Thu 22-Jul-21 15:08:54

Monica
We’ve had an extension built and are now waiting for plasterers. The one who should have come Tuesday went down with covid and the others who should have arrived today have now cancelled until tomorrow! So frustrating I’ve no kitchen at all so it’s either going out, takeaway or microwave meals. Today DH and I went to a local farm shop and had ham and cheese ploughmans and very nice it was too!!

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 22-Jul-21 15:13:58

My ice cream machine is coming into its own! I am making two batches this afternoon: raspberry ice cream and clotted cream ice cream

4allweknow Thu 22-Jul-21 16:05:58

New potatoes courtesy of M & S in microwave, broccoli, baby sweetcorn, plain beetroot with a little grated carrot together with chilli hot smoked salmon.

Peasblossom Thu 22-Jul-21 16:11:39

Soup.

Well I had to do something with all those courgettes ?

Greenfinch Thu 22-Jul-21 16:13:52

Lettuce and onion soup.