Gransnet forums

Food

Ridiculously simple recipes that never fail.

(190 Posts)
nanna8 Thu 29-Jul-21 12:55:52

Here is one many will know for lemonade scones
I cup lemonade
1 cup cream
3 cups sr flour.
Mix up and don’t maul too much. Use extra four on hands and rolling pin. Roll out to at least half inch thickness and cut into scones using a tumbler. Can wipe tops with cream remnants. Cook quite hot for 15 mins 200 C
Another one for pizza bases.
1 cup Greek yoghurt
1 cup SR flour. That’s it! Cook hot like scones after you have loaded it up with tomato purée, cheese and whatever you want.

cornishpatsy Fri 30-Jul-21 21:13:13

Yes, callistmon that’s a better idea. I have downloaded now.

Pilgrim Fri 30-Jul-21 21:21:40

Simple favorite in Southwest USA: Burrito Bowl, Individual Size.
Cook a pot of rice.
Heat desired amount of black beans in separate pan.
For each individual serving bowl, layer cooked rice, black beans, shredded cheddar, then additional toppings (chopped tomatoes, sliced black olives, sliced avocado, chopped bell peppers etc.)
Alone or combo over all, as desired: drizzle of olive oil, red or green salsa, cotija dressing (cilantro), dab of sour cream

Callistemon Fri 30-Jul-21 21:30:48

cornishpatsy

Yes, callistmon that’s a better idea. I have downloaded now.

I've never done it before but it worked!

Now, what to make first hmm

JulieNoted Fri 30-Jul-21 21:46:39

'Nice' cream

Slice a couple of bananas (don't need to be fresh, can be very overripe as long as they're not brown!).
Open freeze them.
Once frozen, whizz them up in a food processor, adding a little milk if they're too stiff.
Eat immediately, or return to the freezer for later.

Variation:
Add other frozen fruit - a particular favourite is frozen raspberries, but you can use any frozen fruit - even frozen tinned fruit (in fruit juice) will work.

A healthy substitute for ice-cream!

May7 Fri 30-Jul-21 22:18:58

Callistemon fork biscuits recipe was my first domestic science lesson 1969. Been making them ever since smile

Callistemon Fri 30-Jul-21 22:59:51

I only found the recipe about a month ago May7 and have made them twice but they disappeared too quickly!

nadateturbe Sat 31-Jul-21 07:04:35

Haven't a clue how to download it!

harrysgran Sat 31-Jul-21 09:22:27

Crumpet pizzas are a family favourite spread a dollop of tomato puree on the toasted crumpet add
grated cheese a slice of tomato pop under the grill for few minutes

JulieNoted Sat 31-Jul-21 09:31:34

nadateturbe

Haven't a clue how to download it!

No, me neither!

Can someone please help with this? How do we download a whole thread?

Callistemon Sat 31-Jul-21 10:22:51

I'm on a tablet so I can only tell you what I do on this device.
At the end of the title bar, ie where it says gransnet.com/forums/food etc is a star then a downwards arrow.
If I click on the ☆ it is saved to favourites, if I click on the downwards arrow ⬇️ it downloads it.
(arrow is black btw)

Callistemon Sat 31-Jul-21 10:24:32

How do we download a whole thread?

I've only just tried this but it may only download the one page you're on, not the whole thread.

Spinnaker Sat 31-Jul-21 10:43:15

Callistemon

At the end of the title bar, ie where it says gransnet.com/forums/food etc is a star then a downwards arrow.
If I click on the ☆ it is saved to favourites, if I click on the downwards arrow ⬇️ it downloads it.
(arrow is black btw)

That's how I did it too Callistemon. It downloaded the whole thread but then I realised that it won't update as the thread gets more posts added, so I'll just keep on downloading every so often smile

Callistemon Sat 31-Jul-21 10:45:40

It helps, too, if you customise the thread so you get 100 posts on a page (Customise at the top of the thread)

nadateturbe Sun 01-Aug-21 07:33:10

Callistemon

^How do we download a whole thread?^

I've only just tried this but it may only download the one page you're on, not the whole thread.

Thanks Callistemon. I think maybe saving the link is better as it is updated.

nadateturbe Sun 01-Aug-21 07:35:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JulieNoted Sun 01-Aug-21 09:55:13

Callistemon

(arrow is black btw)

Ah, I've just looked but I don't have the downward arrow, either on my laptop or on the mobile site on my phone. Will have to check my iPad!

Witzend Sun 01-Aug-21 10:42:20

My really lazy, CBA-to-cook one, is a tin of tuna, drained and flaked, mixed with a tin of condensed mushroom soup (undiluted), heated through and mixed with cooked pasta. Served with frozen peas.
Exceedingly tasty.

Cs783 Sun 01-Aug-21 11:01:38

Callistemon ‘Australian boiled cake’, without the ‘Australian’ tag has been a staple in my family for 3 generations now. Love it, vary it with ingredients at hand such as different fruit, nuts, sugars, flours. I’ve got a version I took from a Playschool’ (UK tv) annual as Flo’s fruit cake (Floella Benjamin).

It goes with the family saying that there’s no such thing as failed cake - just put some custard on it…

TLVgran48 Sun 01-Aug-21 11:38:01

Fabulous ideas - thanks to everyone! Recently my idea of a good recipe is that it has no more than, say, ten lines...

nanna8 Sun 01-Aug-21 11:56:02

RosesAreRed21

@nanna8 would that be single ot double cream

I use what they call thickened cream here but it probably works with others. Not sure about the really thin pouring cream, haven’t tried that.

nanna8 Sun 01-Aug-21 12:01:02

Llamedos13

*Nanna8*, I too would like to know if the lemonade is fizzy or flat, thanks

Fizzy, just cheap stuff. I tried them with diet lemonade and it worked fine.

nanna8 Sun 01-Aug-21 12:10:16

I make that fruitcake one Callistemon. Also this one
Process a whole orange in food processor ( I take pips out but you don’t have to)
Put in bowl and add 3 eggs, I cup sugar, 1.5 cups SR flour . Mix up and put in greased baking tin. Cook 180 C or 160 C fan forcedabout 40 minutes. It is yummy.

nadateturbe Sun 01-Aug-21 12:11:10

Great thread Nanna8

nadateturbe Sun 01-Aug-21 12:12:30

nanna8

Process a whole orange in food processor ( I take pips out but you don’t have to)
Put in bowl and add 3 eggs, I cup sugar, 1.5 cups SR flour . Mix up and put in greased baking tin. Cook 180 C or 160 C fan forcedabout 40 minutes. It is yummy.

Stupid question. .do you peel the orange ??

Callistemon Sun 01-Aug-21 16:45:15

nanna8

I must try that one, it sounds easy and very good.

I made Sussex Pond pudding years ago - a bit more trouble and it's steamed for ages but delicious (and full of calories!). You could probably make it in a slow cooker.