Gransnet forums

Food

Making Muffins

(29 Posts)
lemongrove Wed 11-Aug-21 14:28:01

I do quite a bit of cake and scone and biscuit making, mainly for the family, but thought I would give muffins a go.
Bought new muffin trays and the fancy brown ’tulip’ shaped
Cases, so am all ready to go.Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe?Is it really better to keep the mixture in the fridge overnight before baking?
Thanks in advance.?

123kitty Fri 20-Aug-21 13:44:20

Hi Lemongrove, like you my muffins and scones are never a great success (in fact any baking is always hit or miss for me) but I'm determined to do better and will try some of these GN recommendations and tips

lemongrove Fri 20-Aug-21 14:09:16

Hi kitty scones are tricky beasts! During the first lockdown I made a batch that were more like biscuits than anything else.
They did improve, but not enough, I want to be able to make tall fluffy scones like I used to.
I do know that fresh baking powder is essential, rather than the almost out of date drum of it that we all have at the back
Of the cupboard.?

4allweknow Fri 20-Aug-21 16:25:36

Tipsytipsy. Agree. Have used Nigella's recipe many times over the years. Have also dropped a teaspoonful of the toffee condensed milk in the centre instead of the chunks. Also brownie mixture is also good placed in muffin cases instead of cutting into squares.