Gransnet forums

Food

Hulling strawberries

(30 Posts)
tanith Sun 15-Aug-21 11:12:38

Does anyone else remember when all you needed to do when hulling strawberries was grasp the green part twist and pull and the whole centre would slide out easily. Now you need to take a knife and either slice the top off or dig around with the knife to get it out. All apart from the fact they are often pretty tasteless unless English and very fresh. ? rant over.

BlueBelle Sun 15-Aug-21 18:23:36

Oh not here glammagran I ve had a huge harvest this year eaten them till I was fed up, given them away to all my friends and have a drawer full in the freezer
It’s been a really good year around here ( east coast )

Hetty58 Sun 15-Aug-21 18:33:57

I always love the ones we grow and never buy them these days. If I did need to buy, they'd have to be British! I cut the hulls out with a thin little knife. My daughter just throws the tops away - very annoying!

Hopikins Sun 15-Aug-21 18:38:27

Totally agree glammagran. I always buy British strawberries
but this year they have been dreadful. Tasteless . Never remember it happening before.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 15-Aug-21 18:41:44

I have a palstic strawberry hulling device, which I think I bought from Lakeland. If I have srawberries which are hard or tasteless, I either make them into a crumble or I have a briliant cake recipe with buttermilk.