Gransnet forums

Food

FOOD Shortages England

(295 Posts)
Bea65 Wed 25-Aug-21 18:47:57

Having just been to 2/3 named supermarkets..we do seem to have empty shelves...perhaps inner Cities are more affected.. idid post a British Spuds thread as the potatoes were in date but had tocut away most of produce...is this Brexit/shortfall of drivers/pandemic...seems we are seeing fallout in big cities

MayBeMaw Fri 10-Sep-21 19:24:35

Fennel

Sorry I haven't read the whole thread but has anyone else found a shortage of paracetamol or other medications?
Our big Tesco have cut allowance of paracetamol to 2 packets per customer.
Many meds. are imported from Europe and other parts of the world.

That is the legal limit for “over the counter” paracetamol and has been for years

Alegrias1 Fri 10-Sep-21 19:31:52

Food and drink shortages are now with us forever, says industry boss:

www.independent.co.uk/news/business/food-shortages-brexit-covid-boris-johnson-b1917763.html

"It will all be over by Christmas" says Johnson.

Who to believe? Its a puzzle, isn't it?

lemongrove Fri 10-Sep-21 20:34:49

Forever is a silly thing to say, as is over by Christmas.
As usual the truth is somewhere in the middle.There is a shortage of HGV drivers in many countries and the only option is to offer really good pay and better working conditions to tempt people to do the job.Training takes a while, so will building up a stock of drivers.
Meanwhile the worst thing to do is to panic buy....that will bring real shortages.At the moment it does seem to be a regional thing, some shops have less than others.

Kate1949 Sat 11-Sep-21 10:27:55

A man in front of me in Aldi yesterday was buying 50 tins of baked beans!

GrannyGravy13 Sat 11-Sep-21 10:41:48

As Jeff Bezos has stepped down from being CEO of Amazon maybe it’s time to call him in to sort out the U.K. logistics issue?

I ordered vitamins on Amazon at 5.30pm and hey presto they were on my doorstep at 9.00am following morning.

JaneJudge Sat 11-Sep-21 10:44:13

Kate1949

A man in front of me in Aldi yesterday was buying 50 tins of baked beans!

Fart-tastic!

I know this isn't about food but Argos deliver the same day too, sometimes only a few hours later.

Kate1949 Sat 11-Sep-21 11:08:22

My first thought too Jane. I wondered if he was going to eat them all himself.

Ailidh Sat 11-Sep-21 12:33:42

Good news! I bought a pack of pigs in blankets at the Co-op tha morning!!

nanna8 Sat 11-Sep-21 12:44:42

What on earth are pigs in blankets? Strewth. We don’t have shortages but the cost of fresh meat and fish is quite high and seems to be on the increase. Still avocados are only $1 just now and a big punnet of strawberries is $1.50 so can’t complain.

JaneJudge Sat 11-Sep-21 12:57:57

Pigs in blankets are the ultimate pork product, sausages wrapped in bacon. All reigning from Tamworth, of course

Callistemon Sat 11-Sep-21 16:32:46

Still avocados are only $1 just now
Are they grown in Australia (it's not avo season) or imported, nanna8?

Last time I was there I bought lovely strawberries from the strawberry farm $5, but Coles were selling them for $2.

Summerlove Sat 11-Sep-21 20:12:34

Callistemon

We only went to M&S Food today so not a full shop but the shelves were as full as normal.

That has been the limit everywhere for a long time Fennel, as it is easy to overdose on paracetamol.
A total of 32 tablets per customer per transaction is the maximum, I believe.

I find that fascinating as in other counties no such limits exist. I’m North America you buy it at Costco, usually 700 pills at a time!

JaneJudge Sat 11-Sep-21 22:38:41

it's true you can only buy two small packets of painkillers at a time

Callistemon Sun 12-Sep-21 00:09:08

Summerlove

Callistemon

We only went to M&S Food today so not a full shop but the shelves were as full as normal.

That has been the limit everywhere for a long time Fennel, as it is easy to overdose on paracetamol.
A total of 32 tablets per customer per transaction is the maximum, I believe.

I find that fascinating as in other counties no such limits exist. I’m North America you buy it at Costco, usually 700 pills at a time!

Summerlove, yes, I bought a packet of 96 in Australia and probably they sold them in larger quantities.
GP recommended 8 a day at one time for a bad back but I won't take that many.

nanna8 Sun 12-Sep-21 01:35:25

Avocados are grown here in Australia, Callistemon. I think a lot of ours are from Mildura but most are from Queensland. Thanks Janey for saying what pigs in blankets are, they sound nice and I might try and make some. In Australia you can buy as many packets of paracetamol as you want but no longer panadeine and codeine products - they are either prescribed or chemist only. You can also now buy melatonin without a script at the chemist but they are charging quite a bit for those.

Doodledog Sun 12-Sep-21 15:40:55

I ordered six bottles of non-alcoholic 'champagne' this week, and not only were they out of stock, but they weren't substituted either ?.

I am on holiday, and don't drink alcohol so they are my evening drink of choice. I think we've missed the good weather, but don't think that sitting outside with a glass of orange squash is really going to cut it.

Oddly, I did get fresh figs, though - it's a strange situation, isn't it?

Kate1949 Mon 13-Sep-21 12:01:12

We've just had an Iceland delivery. Four items were missing and four substituted. The substitutes were fine but the missing items were basics, including bread rolls. That's never happened before.

Fennel Mon 13-Sep-21 12:17:19

Paracetamol again - Tesco completely out this morning.
I think it's addictive as well as possibly physically harmful. So maybe just as well in short supply.
I admit to sometimes using it to send me to sleep on a restless night.
Too many of us addicts on S Tyneside? But this is a different topic.

BlueBelle Mon 13-Sep-21 12:25:55

So far not noticed anything missing here in the East Maybe the missing things are just not on my radar but I haven’t seen any spaces
Going to Asda tomorrow pm so will report back