Gransnet forums

Food

FOOD Shortages England

(295 Posts)
Bea65 Wed 25-Aug-21 18:47:57

Having just been to 2/3 named supermarkets..we do seem to have empty shelves...perhaps inner Cities are more affected.. idid post a British Spuds thread as the potatoes were in date but had tocut away most of produce...is this Brexit/shortfall of drivers/pandemic...seems we are seeing fallout in big cities

Granmarderby10 Thu 26-Aug-21 09:03:10

Gwyneth yes I agree, people should just buy what they would normally where possible. It may mean going to more than one store for some things though.
But a guy from Tesco said on a news item, not to turn a small problem (at the moment) into a drama.
I’m not so sure about those “alleged” cases of stuff being thrown away though- I did read something during lockdown no 1 in a notorious newspaper, and it seams these journalists like to -first encourage readers to panic - then castigate them when they do. It’s something to write about for them, and imo makes shoppers out to be sheep.
My problem would be storing stuff if I stockpiled, not to mention the cost of buying things that rot away. Is the average household really that wealthy? So many from what I’ve witnessed have neither the time, energy or inclination to prepare and cook food so I think a certain amount does get chucked, because it’s what I call “aspirational” ingredients. Me personally I went off turkey years ago though kids do like it.

Witzend Thu 26-Aug-21 09:14:59

I can’t say I’ve noticed much different at all - always able to find what I want, except for little jars of ‘Easy Ginger’ in Asda.

After hearing it on R4 dh was telling me the other day about the shortages of chicken, so that branches of McDonalds and Nando’s were having to close.

Presumably that’d be the cheapest sort of battery farmed chicken, so apart - of course - from the fact of people losing their jobs, I can’t lose too much sleep over that. I certainly haven’t seen any shortage of UK origin chicken in supermarkets, for anyone who wants to cook it.

Yammy Thu 26-Aug-21 09:31:56

Swedes are turnips in my part of the country as well the local word is snagger and across the border neeps. Animals eat swedes.
Maybe we will all end up making turnip jam as they did in the war.
Panic buying will only lead to more panic buying and yet more empty shelves like last year. Christmas might have to be cut back by everyone. Maybe a wartime recipe book should be released by someone. I still use a tea loaf recipe from then.

Witzend Thu 26-Aug-21 09:40:44

toscalily

Doodledog Should we give our suggestions on what to do with your Turnips?

Well before current panics, I have been known to hunt unsuccessfully for turnips - they go very nicely in a lamb stew*, not to mention my multi-veg soups. Both of which I’ll be making once we’re into autumn.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen them in Waitrose or M&S - presumably not ‘smart’ enough. Asda does have them now and then, though, ditto the local market.

*my own, strictly non-fatty version, with pearl barley.

Smileless2012 Thu 26-Aug-21 09:45:29

No problems where we are. I seem to remember last year we were warned that there would be a shortage of turkeys at Christmas. Never happened. I wish people would stop scare mongeringangry.

Galaxy Thu 26-Aug-21 09:48:37

I wish people would stop dismissing what people are actually seeing with their own eyes it's very uncomfortable behaviour.

Witzend Thu 26-Aug-21 09:53:55

Yammy

Swedes are turnips in my part of the country as well the local word is snagger and across the border neeps. Animals eat swedes.
Panic buying will only lead to more panic buying and yet more empty shelves like last year. Christmas might have to be cut back by everyone. Maybe a wartime recipe book should be released by someone. I still use a tea loaf recipe from then.

I read not long ago that both swedes and turnips were for a long time shunned in France, because during WW2 that was virtually all the occupying German forces left for the locals. So the associations were very negative.

But evidently they’re having a resurgence in popularity, and I do recall seeing turnips in a French supermarket last summer.

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 26-Aug-21 10:04:14

Brexit is to blame. The government mustn’t blame the pandemic. It’s a shame the BBC can’t be a little more honest when talking about the effect brexit is having on our lives. But talking about Christmas. I bought a massive turkey last December and then had to buy a much smaller bird because there were only three of us. The rest of the family were unable to come - and that was because of the pandemic. So I at least have my main course waiting in the freezer. I also made a rich fruit cake to celebrate the end of the pandemic, but as that hasn’t actually happened yet, I have a Christmas cake. Back to Brexit though. A lot us us Remainers said we would be in this situation before long (food shortages, not enough workers etc.) but were accused of being Remoaners. Some say we shouldn’t say ‘told you so’, but I do because I’m b****y annoyed.

henetha Thu 26-Aug-21 10:09:01

I went to Tesco yesterday and found very little difference from usual. I got everything on my shopping list.

Granmarderby10 Thu 26-Aug-21 10:11:48

Galaxy I agree with you. With any issue you can name, it’s very often the case that - “ if it’s not happening to me then it’s just not happening.

Jillyjosie Thu 26-Aug-21 10:16:45

It's political Galaxy, you can kind of imagine how they voted in the referendum and they'd rather die than admit there are forseen problems now. grin

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 26-Aug-21 10:19:27

From what posters are saying it varies from one area to another. Whilst I do miss my mushrooms when I can’t get them (must take a trip to Essex!) I don’t think they’re exactly suitable for stockpiling, though I do confess to having some homemade mushroom soup in the freezer. ?

Galaxy Thu 26-Aug-21 10:21:08

Dh would disagree with you, he seems to like stockpiling mushrooms at the bottom of the fridge smile

Katie59 Thu 26-Aug-21 10:37:13

Yammy

Swedes and Turnips are 2 different crops but there is a lot of confusion.
Swedes are dark blue with creamy yellow flesh are sold in most supermarkets, they will be harvested in winter usually before Christmas and stored until use, probably not many left now. North of the border “ Neeps and Tatties” is Swede and Potatoes.

Turnips are white fleshed, I’m sure you can eat them but I never have, they are widely grown for sheep feeding because they grow very quickly.

For animal feed almost all crops can be used, packhouse outgrades are usually fed to livestock, although increasingly anaerobic digestion to produce methane is being used.

JaneJudge Thu 26-Aug-21 10:41:21

Mcdonalds had no bottled or hot drinks this morning

Hetty58 Thu 26-Aug-21 10:42:52

Bea65, 'FOOD Shortages'? - hardly! A lack of choice, a few items unavailable, that's all. Nobody will die from a lack of mushrooms or cat litter, will they?

Callistemon Thu 26-Aug-21 10:43:38

Swedes and Turnips are 2 different crops but there is a lot of confusion.
Sorry to disagree Katie1959 but in Plymouth Market a swede is a turnip, no confusion, no argument, never upset a Janner!

Granmarderby10 Thu 26-Aug-21 11:20:39

Hetty58 no no one will die. But the same can be said for many items. If you have an indoor ? cat litter is pretty essential and cats don’t like change so ripped up newspaper - and that’s a point where to get enough newspaper from? - probably won’t cut it and as for someone’s suggestion of garden soil… just yukk think of the slugs and mess.
By the way I don’t do cats anymore had an overdose of them once and the resulting kittens and also very allergic to them I discovered too late. Dogs: much simpler - that’s imo obviously.wink

Ealdemodor Thu 26-Aug-21 11:44:20

First world problems here - Tesco delivery just arrived, no gravy bones for the dog, no avocados for the humans.
These shortages are beginning to bite.

Doodledog Thu 26-Aug-21 11:47:28

Germanshepherdsmum

I’ve been finding mushrooms are scarce at Tesco lately, sometimes none at all. Frozen peas too. I must try looking for turnips once Doodledog’s book has been published. Perhaps she will let us know where we might buy signed copies. I’m sure a signed first edition will be a terrific investment.

I'll let you all know if when the print run starts.

I might see if I can find a way of adding (aka swede) to the title, for avoidance of doubt.

'Baldrick's British Brexit Bonanza : 100 Ways With Turnips (aka Swedes) by Doodle M Dog. How does that sound?

Maybe there could be a spin-off calendar. Any chance of 11 volunteers to be photographed holding a seasonal turnip dish?

I've got my own name down for the (fully clothed) December shot, but all the other, more scantily-clad months are still available - I can put the idea to my publisher if there's enough interest.

Alegrias1 Thu 26-Aug-21 11:47:36

Hetty58

Bea65, 'FOOD Shortages'? - hardly! A lack of choice, a few items unavailable, that's all. Nobody will die from a lack of mushrooms or cat litter, will they?

The best Brexit slogan ever.... Well, no-one will die

??

(I don't know your politics Hetty58, I'm not getting at you.)

JaneJudge Thu 26-Aug-21 11:48:22

People could die through the shortage of carers though and absolutely no one is talking about it!

Nannan2 Thu 26-Aug-21 12:00:04

Maybe us Brits should be encouraged to grow more of our own food, like they did in the war? I'm hopeless at that though, i can't even keep a plant alive!?But maybe our own farmers could- and should..Maybe by christmas it may make a difference- or perhaps you greenfingered GN's could grow your own christmas veg? ?Or get together with other familymembers who have what you don't, (covid allowing) and you can share what you have? Between you all you might just have a dinner.Remember its only one day really.

Nannan2 Thu 26-Aug-21 12:13:20

Swedes are BLUE? I've never seen a blue veg at all and certainly not a swede.! My mam cooked both swedes or turnips regular and i assure you neither were blue.(more, maroon on outside maybe?) Nor were turnips 'white fleshed' they were like a very, very, pale orangey colour.Those turnips& swedes sound very odd.?

Nannan2 Thu 26-Aug-21 12:14:00

Does colour vary due to the variety maybe??