Gransnet forums

Food

Le Creuset

(35 Posts)
Fennel Mon 06-Sep-21 19:02:24

Looking for advice from those of you who use Le Creuset casseroles etc.Since buying an induction hob I had to replace my hob to oven casseroles and the new ones burn the contents very easily. So very difficult to clean.
Now thinking of replacing them with Creuset products.
I know they're very heavy, and expensive, but what are the advantages?
ps I'm offline for the next few days (our New Year) but will follow up later for any replies.

DillytheGardener Tue 07-Sep-21 20:54:38

I have a small skillet and a Dutch oven and they are fantastic, last years and years if looked after well. My cooking skills are disinterested at best, and I managed to fudge some decent meals using them!

john46 Wed 08-Sep-21 10:12:19

Try not to buy french goods

NotSpaghetti Wed 08-Sep-21 11:57:17

john46

Try not to buy french goods

I'm assuming you don't?
Why is this please?

Fennel Thu 09-Sep-21 12:13:49

Thanks for all the replies, and @ Riverbankfor good wishes for the New Year.
The reason I'm looking at Creuset is, when we first got the induction hob I had to bin some perfectly good pots and pans which I'd had for years. I made the mistake of replacing them with cheap ones from Tesco and these burn on very easily. So we're ordering one Creuset to start with and husband is going to do the lifting.
I do a lot of slow casserole cooking - some in a crockpot but I prefer hob to oven casserole.

Fennel Thu 09-Sep-21 12:15:02

ps sorrty Riverwalk!

MayBeMaw Thu 09-Sep-21 15:58:51

Years ago my sister in law who was rather well paid used to buy our 3 daughters a piece of Le Creuset each every year for Christmas when in their teens . Lucky girls!
They each had their own colour -flame for the eldest , a soft green (I think since discontinued) for the middle one and almond for the youngest. They each now have a big casserole, a small casserole, a saucepan with a lid which doubles as a frying pan and a big round shallow lidded casserole.
I wish I’d had an auntie like that!

Wheniwasyourage Thu 09-Sep-21 17:49:26

What a lovely, thoughtful kind of present for your daughters, MayBeMaw! Everyone should definitely have an auntie like that!

We have a Le Creuset casserole which we got for a wedding present 45+ years ago, and it is still going strong, although now mainly when we have visitors as it is quite big. The milk pans with a pouring spout are excellent too, we find. My DF passed on a pan with a lid which works as a frying pan to us when he found them too heavy, and I suppose one day we may feel that we have to pass them on to the next generation.

(No idea about using them on an induction hob though, sorry.)

Witzend Fri 10-Sep-21 17:31:39

I inherited a large Le C. casserole from my Mil, but it was so heavy I rarely used it (I had similar sized, lighter casseroles anyway) and it ended up in a charity shop.

I’d never buy one - IMO they’re ludicrously expensive, besides weighing a ton.

NotTooOld Fri 10-Sep-21 17:44:32

How lovely, MayBeMaw. Good idea of your sister in law.
Can't stand LeC personally, far too heavy, but my daughter had a lot of it as wedding presents and thinks it is marvellous. I try to avoid washing up at her house! My sister and I often reminisce that there was no LeC around in our day, we had to make do with Pyrex!