Gransnet forums

Food

No British sliced chicken breast at Tesco

(99 Posts)
Shinamae Tue 28-Sep-21 11:41:05

I do like to have this on a roll for lunch sometimes and don’t usually look at the packaging but today I looked at the back of the packaging and most of it was either EU or Thailand!! There was one that was English but that was a spicy one and I just wanted the plain chicken breast.I honestly cannot believe that we cannot produce this in this country. I know they will say it’s cheaper to get it from those places but I would rather pay a bit more and have it produced at least in UK. The other chicken I looked at was reformed and I certainly don’t want that. Anybody know where I can get this product?

Callistemon Wed 29-Sep-21 10:15:01

?

Alioop Wed 29-Sep-21 11:21:03

I just cook a chicken or beef for my Sunday roast and then slice the extra and freeze it for sandwiches.

Maya1 Wed 29-Sep-21 11:21:05

Shinamae, Lidl definitely have the chicken you want, it's British and cheaper than Tesco.
We got some on Monday.
I hadn't realised that Tesco's chickens were not British or how the chickens were treated.Thank you for the information. I buy one every week for the dog. I will now get his chicken from either Lidl or Aldi.

Shirlb Wed 29-Sep-21 11:21:48

Omg no!! You do know there are still people staving in this world even after all the millions of pounds thrown at them? At lest you get to have something else ?

jane1956 Wed 29-Sep-21 11:26:00

Large chicken factory here in n lincs so Tesco have no excuse

Bijou Wed 29-Sep-21 11:27:25

Is ot only chicken that comes from Thailand. Bass fish used by Young’s comes from there. It comes from the Mekong delta one of the most polluted seas.
Also some fish sold by Sainsburys as FRESH been frozen and then thawed and comes from China! How old can it be if it is transported back and forth all over the World?
So much food these days is full of chemicals. I always read the ingredients list before buying. I make my own bread since I read the ingredients list on that.

jaylucy Wed 29-Sep-21 11:33:24

Same in Asda !

JaneJudge Wed 29-Sep-21 11:38:29

Oh God I cannot eat Basa after having one that had the biggest worm you have ever seen in it sad actually it has put me off fish in general (unless it is battered) urgh my collar bones have gone all funny

CleoPanda Wed 29-Sep-21 11:44:05

The majority of cooked chicken in the majority of supermarkets is from Thailand and has been for at least a decade. Also, many uncooked poultry products are not from the U.K.
I stopped buying it ten years ago. Aldi then advertised all poultry products it stocked were sourced in the U.K.
There are still some British brands available vis supermarkets such as Booths.
Iceland never used to specify the source on many of their products.
Some supermarkets stock a mixture of British/EU/Thai poultry so you have to check every product separately.
It’s a minefield!
Lots to consider - air miles, animal welfare, safety checks, additives etc etc.

Daisend1 Wed 29-Sep-21 11:45:49

Many ways of eating a chicken.Breast is but one and purchased alone is expensive .I always make sure I am going to use the whole chicken not just the breast so freeze for another time what I am not ready to use.

4allweknow Wed 29-Sep-21 11:50:34

I ways check where raw meat, bacon and cold meats are produced and try to avoid anything that isn't British. I did read some time ago that chicken from Thailand is actually better than that from UK but still reluctant to go with it. Aldi usually has quite a few home grown products.

Paddington1914 Wed 29-Sep-21 11:50:50

As others have said, Tesco have been sourcing most of their chicken from Thailand and Vietnam for years and they are not alone. Its horrid. You do really have to look at the label, even if you purchased that same self item last week!

GillT57 Wed 29-Sep-21 12:11:27

we have a good few chicken farms around us here and I just can't get my head around how it is cheaper to fly it in from Thailand. Well, I know why, but.....

justanovice Wed 29-Sep-21 12:18:37

The moral of this story is... always read the label... and vote with your feet. If the shop doesn't sell acceptable produce then buy elsewhere.

growstuff Wed 29-Sep-21 12:19:46

Paddington1914

As others have said, Tesco have been sourcing most of their chicken from Thailand and Vietnam for years and they are not alone. Its horrid. You do really have to look at the label, even if you purchased that same self item last week!

I've just checked all the uncooked chicken and cooked chicken slices/chunks sold by Tesco on their website. Nearly all of it is sourced in the UK, some in the EU or Germany. I suppose Tesco could be lying ...

sandelf Wed 29-Sep-21 14:29:09

Iceland chicken is the same - almost all from Thailand. Picky customers will alert the buyers that there is a demand for something better. But be aware - You get what you pay for. We have cut out lots of 'cheap treats' as decided good food and good health are worth it. And I do find really satisfying food makes you need less.

Bijou Wed 29-Sep-21 14:29:25

It is a great many years ago that I found whilst shopping for a friend that Tesco “Finest” chicken pies contained Thai chicken. She said she never bothered to read the back of the pack. I have never shopped in Tesco for myself or bought a readymade pie.

Cornishgreenhouse Wed 29-Sep-21 14:34:21

I only buy from local butcher or farm shop where I know where it’s come from, free range or organic. Yes I know it’s a bit more expensive but I can’t bear to think of the conditions some of the other supermarket birds are kept in. I poach or steam it and then use it in sandwiches - and save on packaging too.

Bijou Wed 29-Sep-21 14:34:55

Janejudge. Battered fish is also Thai.

Callistemon Wed 29-Sep-21 14:43:16

GillT57

we have a good few chicken farms around us here and I just can't get my head around how it is cheaper to fly it in from Thailand. Well, I know why, but.....

Home produced chickens and so called free-range egg production is killing our rivers.

Manure from the chickens is spread on the fields on to soft soil and is then washed into rivers causing pollution and algal bloom.
Trees have been cut down, rainstorms are intensifying and this has all contributed to the death of some of our rivers.

I'm not saying at all that the answer is to import chicken from thousands of miles away but poultry production needs to be better controlled in this country.

?? comes at a cost and it is not just monetary.

MaizieD Wed 29-Sep-21 14:51:07

Callistemon

GillT57

Home produced chickens and so called free-range egg production is killing our rivers.

Manure from the chickens is spread on the fields on to soft soil and is then washed into rivers causing pollution and algal bloom.
Trees have been cut down, rainstorms are intensifying and this has all contributed to the death of some of our rivers.

I'm not saying at all that the answer is to import chicken from thousands of miles away but poultry production needs to be better controlled in this country.

?? comes at a cost and it is not just monetary.

So, are you advocating no fertilising of crops at all?

(artificial fertilizers do the same thing, wash into watercourses)

vegansrock Wed 29-Sep-21 15:01:06

My OH likes to buy fresh fish when we go anywhere coastal. He rarely eats it unless he knows it’s fresh. At a fishing port in Northumberland you can see boats coming in with cod, mackerel etc. When he found the one wet fish shop (some miles away) he asked where the sea bass was from - Greece was the answer. When he asked if there was anything local he was met with a puzzled look and was told - we think the Salmon is from Scotland. He didn’t bother buying anything.

Callistemon Wed 29-Sep-21 15:01:47

So, are you advocating no fertilising of crops at all?

No, I don't know what the answer is, but perhaps river banks could be replanted with a wide swathe of trees which could prevent the slurry washing into the rivers?
I have seen our local river turn green and apparently this is from the algal bloom. It is a fairly recent phenomenon.

Shinamae Wed 29-Sep-21 15:07:36

I do know that King prawns definitely come from Thailand and apparently the conditions in which they’re kept are very unsanitary ?

Barmeyoldbat Wed 29-Sep-21 15:11:48

I get cooked turkey breast from the deli counter in Waitrose. Lovely in asandwich