Gransnet forums

Food

No British sliced chicken breast at Tesco

(99 Posts)
Shinamae Tue 28-Sep-21 11:41:05

I do like to have this on a roll for lunch sometimes and don’t usually look at the packaging but today I looked at the back of the packaging and most of it was either EU or Thailand!! There was one that was English but that was a spicy one and I just wanted the plain chicken breast.I honestly cannot believe that we cannot produce this in this country. I know they will say it’s cheaper to get it from those places but I would rather pay a bit more and have it produced at least in UK. The other chicken I looked at was reformed and I certainly don’t want that. Anybody know where I can get this product?

Cold Wed 29-Sep-21 15:24:59

I'll keep with my Swedish chicken thanks - almost zero levels of salmonella

Greciangirl Wed 29-Sep-21 15:25:30

I buy meat and fish from M&S.

It’s all home reared meat and from sustainable sources.

The salmon that I buy is from Scotland, so all good stuff and worth paying a little bit extra for.

The cooked and sliced cold meats all british.

Albangirl14 Wed 29-Sep-21 16:45:34

That,s one of the reasons I don,t shop at Tesco.

Thisismyname1953 Wed 29-Sep-21 17:32:50

Yet another thread which will lead to panic buying . Instead of petrol we will all be queuing round Tesco trying to buy packages of chicken . Who cares . I’m sure the shops will fill their shelves when the next lorry load comes in , it’s not disappeared forever ??

Shinamae Wed 29-Sep-21 17:36:32

Thisismyname1953

Yet another thread which will lead to panic buying . Instead of petrol we will all be queuing round Tesco trying to buy packages of chicken . Who cares . I’m sure the shops will fill their shelves when the next lorry load comes in , it’s not disappeared forever ??

Why on earth would you think that trying to find out the provenance of chicken products would lead to panic buying?

LauraNorder Wed 29-Sep-21 17:48:55

I went to the chicken coop at the end of the garden. Charlie Chookchook looked nice and meaty so I wrung his neck. I then sat in the utility room plucking feathers for an hour, coughing and sneezing. I then cleaned him up and gutted him, stuffed and basted him and stuck him in the oven for an hour and a half while I cleaned up the feathery, dusty mess.
Then I had to wait and wait for him to cool while I sharpened the knife.
Finally sliced him thinly and put the slices in to clear bags ready for the freezer.
I was so hungry after 8 hours of preparation I scoffed the lot.
No I bloody didn’t, I went to the supermarket and picked up a pack.

Elvis58 Wed 29-Sep-21 18:05:52

I am lucky there are 2 farm shops near me that raise and slaughter their own animals.So not only British but no air miles to boot.

ajswan Wed 29-Sep-21 18:22:34

I remember years ago during the Bird Flu pandemic complaining to Iceland because they were selling chickens from Thailand. I also complained in a Chinese restaurant because the chicken was preformed. I watched a programme once where it showed this preformed chicken being made in a huge slab. It was revolting.

Shinamae Wed 29-Sep-21 18:25:19

LauraNorder

I went to the chicken coop at the end of the garden. Charlie Chookchook looked nice and meaty so I wrung his neck. I then sat in the utility room plucking feathers for an hour, coughing and sneezing. I then cleaned him up and gutted him, stuffed and basted him and stuck him in the oven for an hour and a half while I cleaned up the feathery, dusty mess.
Then I had to wait and wait for him to cool while I sharpened the knife.
Finally sliced him thinly and put the slices in to clear bags ready for the freezer.
I was so hungry after 8 hours of preparation I scoffed the lot.
No I bloody didn’t, I went to the supermarket and picked up a pack.

????

Shinamae Wed 29-Sep-21 18:26:48

ajswan

I remember years ago during the Bird Flu pandemic complaining to Iceland because they were selling chickens from Thailand. I also complained in a Chinese restaurant because the chicken was preformed. I watched a programme once where it showed this preformed chicken being made in a huge slab. It was revolting.

I watched a similar programme about preformed ham ?

Stephania1954 Wed 29-Sep-21 19:33:16

The care home I work in bought frozen chickens from Argentina. They came via a wholesaler. The chickens were usually rancid inside, and were usually thrown away. Appalling situation, animal welfare in Argentina is awful and as a company they were supporting. Managed to get them banned

Shinamae Wed 29-Sep-21 21:20:12

After reading all your contributions I am definitely not going to buy any more meat at all from Tesco’s including chicken…I have a lidyl within walking distance otherwise it will be Marks & Spencer’s. The reason I use Tesco’s is purely because I don’t drive and it is a five minute walk from my house….

lemongrove Wed 29-Sep-21 21:28:58

Callistemon

Autocorrect!
Hygienically not hysterically

Running around like headless chickens??

Blinko Wed 29-Sep-21 21:31:06

I'll be examining labels on meats more carefully from now on. I normally buy free range chicken, so have assumed up to now that it's reared in the UK.

bridie54 Wed 29-Sep-21 21:59:02

Just wanted to add that if you find the chicken breasts you want, instead of using a big oven you could cook them quickly in a GeorgeForeman grill. Great wee gadget to have , I’m on my second one as it had removable plates making it easier to wash.

Callistemon Wed 29-Sep-21 22:15:59

lemongrove

Callistemon

Autocorrect!
Hygienically not hysterically

Running around like headless chickens??

?

Hymnbook Wed 29-Sep-21 23:16:00

Tomatoes from Poland!!!!

Callistemon Wed 29-Sep-21 23:21:49

Hymnbook

Tomatoes from Poland!!!!

I bought salad, vegetables and fruit items from M&S and was surprised to see most were from overseas, Spain, Poland, The Netherlands etc.

Similar items in Lidl the following week were British in the main.

Mollygo Thu 30-Sep-21 08:20:14

I bought chicken slices for sandwiches from Lidl. They always taste good.

EkwaNimitee Thu 30-Sep-21 08:48:00

LauraNorder my first laugh of the day!
Seriously though, this thread has been a bit of an eye opener and I shall be checking packets even more carefully from now on. I want my meat and fish to come from kindly reared animals, hygienically prepared and preferably British. Although I use Tesco’s online deliveries, I also find you do have to check their small print carefully and some items I have stopped buying from them.

Shinamae Thu 30-Sep-21 09:17:36

Esspee

I buy Scottish chicken (and other meats) cook it, slice it and hey presto I get a locally produced product seasoned exactly to my taste. It really isn’t difficult.

Do you really have to be so patronising?

effalump Sat 02-Oct-21 10:22:13

Shinamae Could you not buy rotisseried chicken from your local supermarket either? Either full roasted or individual parts (breast, thighs, legs, etc.).

Shinamae Sat 02-Oct-21 11:13:42

effalump

Shinamae Could you not buy rotisseried chicken from your local supermarket either? Either full roasted or individual parts (breast, thighs, legs, etc.).

I’ll tell you what, with what I’ve read recently since starting this thread it’s put me off most chicken altogether, I am now going to go for organic chicken, I know it’s expensive but it’s sickening the way chickens are treated and all live stock for that matter, I am guilty of not thinking of getting the live animal to the plate and the processes it involves and I am ashamed of myself for being so ignorant…