Gransnet forums

Food

No British sliced chicken breast at Tesco

(99 Posts)
Shinamae Tue 28-Sep-21 11:41:05

I do like to have this on a roll for lunch sometimes and don’t usually look at the packaging but today I looked at the back of the packaging and most of it was either EU or Thailand!! There was one that was English but that was a spicy one and I just wanted the plain chicken breast.I honestly cannot believe that we cannot produce this in this country. I know they will say it’s cheaper to get it from those places but I would rather pay a bit more and have it produced at least in UK. The other chicken I looked at was reformed and I certainly don’t want that. Anybody know where I can get this product?

growstuff Tue 28-Sep-21 21:51:53

I don't know whether the situation has changed since this article was written in 2010:

www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/thai-chicken-better-than-most-british-production-says-rspca-2124580.html

Shinamae Tue 28-Sep-21 21:55:53

Well that is a surprise growstuff, the article is from 2010, I will try and find some more information but thank you for posting that..

Callistemon Tue 28-Sep-21 21:58:34

Zoejory

FlexibleFriend

I'm aware of chicken coming from Thailand and avoid it.

Good job. They have zero road sense

But it only wants to get to the other side ?

Unfortunately it's necessary to check the labels on everything now.
I think it is very hysterically produced (I saw a programme years ago about a Thai chicken factory) but are they free range? Probably not. But then neither is much of the poultry produced in the UK.
Food miles is a big issue too.

valdali Tue 28-Sep-21 21:58:48

If I did that I'd probably discover half of it underneath the frozen peas & long past edible, on a freezer defrost. My freezer memory is terrible so it would probably be more wasteful for me to do that than to buy exactly what I need & eat it all.Not that I'm not aghast at chicken being imported from Thailand.

Callistemon Tue 28-Sep-21 21:59:56

Autocorrect!
Hygienically not hysterically

Shinamae Tue 28-Sep-21 22:02:06

Callistemon

Autocorrect!

?????

Callistemon Tue 28-Sep-21 22:03:28

growstuff

I don't know whether the situation has changed since this article was written in 2010:

www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/thai-chicken-better-than-most-british-production-says-rspca-2124580.html

Probably about the time I saw the programme about Thai produced chicken, growstuff.

In fact, much of the chicken in prepared dishes is from overseas, not just that sold by Tesco.

Lincslass Tue 28-Sep-21 22:04:10

I always check where chicken comes from. Only buy any meat produced in UK, or get from local butcher and cook , then slice, for sandwiches. Plus is no added salt or preservatives.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 28-Sep-21 23:05:39

Freezers: we have three yes I know, but I do a lot of baking! Everything is labelled. I keep a chart (saved on my pc) on the door of my kitchen freezer with everything listed. As things are used they are crossed off, once a week I prepare a new list and print it off. This way I know exactly what frozen stuff I have and when it was frozen.

SpringyChicken Tue 28-Sep-21 23:54:36

It’s no effort to cook a chicken breast in the oven when the oven is on for something else and you can season it to suit your own tastes.

Hetty58 Wed 29-Sep-21 00:23:14

Or - just eat something else instead? Have you watched the Tesco UK production film? (I can't imagine how things could possibly be even worse in Thailand.) They have to live in their own sh*t for the entire 5 weeks of their lives. Still fancy chicken?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7h9MiH2gsY&t=214s

growstuff Wed 29-Sep-21 00:42:56

SpringyChicken

It’s no effort to cook a chicken breast in the oven when the oven is on for something else and you can season it to suit your own tastes.

It is, if you hardly ever use your oven.

Teacheranne Wed 29-Sep-21 01:12:39

SpringyChicken

Not everyone is a domestic goddess! Some of us just like to buy cooked meat for variety and speed.

Chewbacca Wed 29-Sep-21 01:46:28

Try this. Aldi. £1.45 and not only is it excellent value for money, it's also British.

welbeck Wed 29-Sep-21 02:06:08

non domestic, or any other kind of, goddess here.
not everybody can cook. or slice something neatly if they can.
anyway OP, i was going to suggest you try lidl or aldi, as they pride themselves on sourcing british and irish produce where poss. and reasonable prices. and not overwhelming choices.
which is why i like them, esp lidl. though i don't eat meat.
hope you get on alright. happy hunting.

Shinamae Wed 29-Sep-21 06:39:37

Thanks all, as I don’t drive it will be hard for me to get to an Aldi But a lydl is within walking distance so will definitely try there …??

Shinamae Wed 29-Sep-21 06:40:41

growstuff

SpringyChicken

It is, if you hardly ever use your oven.

Same here don’t use the oven very often at all…

NotAGran55 Wed 29-Sep-21 07:00:09

I don’t shop at Tesco but online the chicken breast slices in their Finest range are British . Is this range online only , or only stocked in certain branches ?

Waitrose chicken is British .

www.waitrose.com/ecom/shop/search?&searchTerm=chicken%20slices

growstuff Wed 29-Sep-21 07:16:42

I just checked the Tesco website. Tesco's cheapest sliced chicken (the Eastman's range) is labelled as produce of Thailand, but all the others are labelled as British or EU.

Shinamae Wed 29-Sep-21 07:20:13

growstuff

I just checked the Tesco website. Tesco's cheapest sliced chicken (the Eastman's range) is labelled as produce of Thailand, but all the others are labelled as British or EU.

The photo I put at the beginning of the thread was for sliced chicken breast Tesco it was not the cheap range..

NotSpaghetti Wed 29-Sep-21 07:34:19

Callistemon, it's necessary to check the labels on everything now.
Yes.
I'm afraid I've been reading labels since 1974! It's very annoying.
I wish I could just trust what I was eating.

growstuff Wed 29-Sep-21 08:18:30

Shinamae

growstuff

The photo I put at the beginning of the thread was for sliced chicken breast Tesco it was not the cheap range..

Hmmm! That's odd! I must admit I don't buy sliced chicken, so I can't check the actual packages.

Callistemon Wed 29-Sep-21 10:11:23

NotSpaghetti

*Callistemon*, it's necessary to check the labels on everything now.
Yes.
I'm afraid I've been reading labels since 1974! It's very annoying.
I wish I could just trust what I was eating.

If I go shopping with DH he asks "Why are you gazing at stuff?!"
I'm reading the labels.

Callistemon Wed 29-Sep-21 10:13:58

Chewbacca

Try this. Aldi. £1.45 and not only is it excellent value for money, it's also British.

The Union Jack on the front gives a clue as well smile

Zoejory Wed 29-Sep-21 10:13:59

Callistemon

Autocorrect!

I prefer hysterically. Got a great image going on.