Gransnet forums

Food

Ready meals - any favourites?

(154 Posts)
Witzend Tue 12-Oct-21 11:17:32

We rarely have them, but after a week of childcare help while dd is away for work, I picked up a couple on the (final) way home yesterday. M&S big Yorkshire puds with sliced beef, gravy and potatoes inside. I’d usually go for something SE Asian but we really enjoyed them, with cabbage and carrots which were in the fridge anyway.

In the past dh has really enjoyed a Waitrose Nasi Goreng - he got hooked on it during a year based in Jakarta.

Any absolute favourites? No sniffy comments, please, I do virtually always cook from scratch!

Espana Wed 13-Oct-21 10:02:21

Not a ready meal but a great cupboard standby - Sainsbury’s tinned chicken in white sauce. Goes with jacket potato or stick in frozen pastry for pie , or with pasta. Beautiful big pieces of chicken breast in good sauce. Serves two generously or three at a good pinch.

luluaugust Wed 13-Oct-21 10:11:02

We are hooked on "Cook" meals here, their curries are great and many of the dishes are gluten free etc.

25Avalon Wed 13-Oct-21 10:12:59

And vegan ones

Hetty58 Wed 13-Oct-21 10:14:11

Another vote for Cook - they actually taste home made. I stock up on their vegan ones.

Witzend Wed 13-Oct-21 10:14:39

MissAdventure

Not so much a ready meal, but I do keep frozen jacket potatoes in the freezer.
5 mins in the microwave, then filled up with beans and cheese.

That’s one of my occasional go-to, too tired or just can’t be bothered, meals.
We have an ancient combi microwave, so with oven and microwave on together, I can have 2 big jackets with crispy skins, in 14 minutes. Or 15 if they really are whoppers.

They go very well with cauliflower cheese, too, which is one of dh’s all-time favourites. I’ve never found a ready-made version that’s quite cheesy enough, though - and a dollop of English mustard in the sauce is essential here.

henetha Wed 13-Oct-21 10:19:28

Thank you teacheranne. I hadn't thought about a kitchen stool, but will now. It's a great idea. Sometimes I put the veg and a saucepan and knife etc on a tray and sit on the sofa to prepare veg.

Kate1949 Wed 13-Oct-21 10:23:28

My husband considers himself a bit of a curry expert grin. He makes them a lot, grinds his own spices etc. He really likes Sainsburys curries. They really are lovely.

Awesomegranny Wed 13-Oct-21 10:35:01

I make my own, far healthier. Batch cook and freeze is the way to go

Dearknees1 Wed 13-Oct-21 10:40:56

Charlie Bigham for me too. They’re worth the money but can sometimes be found reduced in supermarkets. I freeze them. Quality seems just as good and we’ve survived!

Pippa22 Wed 13-Oct-21 10:43:24

I tried Parsley Box a few months ago and they were really dull. I pity people who have no choice than to have this type of food. I too think they taste like the school dinners as I remember them as just bland. I almost always cook from scratch but just occasionally get seduced by a ready meal by the very appealing picture on the box. If only the contents even looked similar ! The taste is usually really salty for me and sweet too. Really not for me until I have no choice.

Alioop Wed 13-Oct-21 10:44:34

Do not really eat them very often as I cook in larger portions and freeze them then myself, but an odd time I like the Italian range in M&S.

Albangirl14 Wed 13-Oct-21 10:47:05

We have found Charlie Binghams meals very good. Especially like the Chicken Pies with Puff Pastry , they come in an oven proof dish. Yes they do cost more but are tasty and a decent size.

Mallin Wed 13-Oct-21 10:53:10

I just don’t like M&S food.
There’s never a taste they don’t add something pretentious to
And it’s very overpriced.
Lidl, Aldi and Tesco have basics such as spag. bol.
Also some real surprises on the instant meal market. Good quality, too.
I stopped buying at M&S when their cotton knickers suddenly appeared on sale with their reinforced crutch in the wrong place for a female body.

Pedwards Wed 13-Oct-21 10:53:26

Similar here that we normally cook from scratch and I suppose not strictly a ready meal, but M&S chicken Kiev in their gastrointestinal range is delish! Just need a few veggies, we regularly get it for Sunday dinner.

Rosalyn69 Wed 13-Oct-21 10:58:44

Like so many of you I like Charlie Bingham. Parsley Box are just awful.
Not ready meals but I do use Hello Fresh and pick their 20-30 min cook time meals.

Rumbabba Wed 13-Oct-21 10:59:29

I very rarely by ready made meals, but there is one in particular I love. Tesco’s own liver and bacon in onion gravy (not the one that comes with mashed potato!!). Delicious?

Treacletoffee Wed 13-Oct-21 11:01:18

We love jamnvegan- a range of Vegan frozen ready meals which are delivered to your door. You can choose from a subscription or one off box. They are healthy and full of flavour- dishes inspired from around the World. Always have some in the freezer. Mac n cheese is my current favourite ?. The Jerk Gravy is amazing- l could drink it ?

lemsip Wed 13-Oct-21 11:02:48

the op says ready meals .......making your own is not whats meant

Truggy Wed 13-Oct-21 11:06:52

Understand where you are coming from. Same situation. Please try www.Donald russell.co.uk Have been using them since beginning of lockdown last year. Excellent selections of meats I.e. pork chops to steaks but also their selection of ready made meals are just scrummy. For lasagne, curries, cottage pie, fish pie etc Most can be microwaved from frozen or cooked traditionally in the oven. I even bought a complete Christmas dinner with all the trimmings last year. It was amazing. Already place my order for this year. Turkey so succulent.

essjay Wed 13-Oct-21 11:10:02

i agree with previous comments about parsley box, found them totally unappetising(my school dinners were better). Absolutely love aldi chicken chow mein.

Camelotclub Wed 13-Oct-21 11:12:55

Charlie Bigham Chicken Korma is delicious, but expensive and can be hard to find, often selling out. It's about £7.50 at Waitrose.

Also M&S Chicken Kiev from the Gastropub range is lovely, very garlicky!

Camelotclub Wed 13-Oct-21 11:15:08

Pedwards
Gastrointestinal?? Is that a new line?!

Lookout01 Wed 13-Oct-21 11:22:31

M&S Hoisin Duck Noodles are amazing and taste very authentic too. Single portion but plenty for one. Good served with a few prawn crackers

Lilydrop Wed 13-Oct-21 11:27:24

Mr L loves any ready meal sausage and mash for lunch at work. When im counting the cals I buy Asdas good and counted the hotpot one is lovely though quite small but add veg and it becomes a nice meal and cheap. I find Charlie Binghams very expensive.

Shawlands2000 Wed 13-Oct-21 11:37:39

These curries from Iceland are delicious!
www.iceland.co.uk/p/iceland-luxury-chicken-makhani-masala-400g/59646.html#start=1