Gransnet forums

Food

Who shops for groceries on line and do you enjoy it.

(107 Posts)
multicolourswapshop Tue 30-Nov-21 08:41:06

I shop occasionally on line for Sainsbury’s food and usually get a good delivery time and date. Unfortunately I’m always having to amend the list however they’re so good at changing my shopping list in good time, I find great pleasure in this type of shopping especially as I’m unable to get out and about as necessary.

I find I’ve to reign in my eagerness because I could shop until I drop.

M0nica Sun 05-Dec-21 20:58:59

There has been a general shortage of all soft drinks, water, lemonade, fruit juice, squash - and not just Tesco.

I have had problems getting the non-refrigerated fruit juice, as well as fizzy water and noticed a lot of empty shelves in the soft drink sections.

M0nica Sun 05-Dec-21 20:58:59

There has been a general shortage of all soft drinks, water, lemonade, fruit juice, squash - and not just Tesco.

I have had problems getting the non-refrigerated fruit juice, as well as fizzy water and noticed a lot of empty shelves in the soft drink sections.

V3ra Sun 05-Dec-21 20:12:15

Rowsie there was a general shortage of bottled water in recent months. The one we prefer often wasn't available.
As far as I know our Tesco deliveries are prepared at the nearest superstore, so if a product is unavailable to me online it's because it's out of stock instore as well.

Caleo Sun 05-Dec-21 12:27:29

I do all the time. One unexpected pleasure is the quality service from the van drivers who are markedly kind and helpful .

Millie22 Sun 05-Dec-21 10:41:15

I agree about the difficulty getting delivery slots when the first lockdown happened. After quite a few years of shopping online it was almost impossible to get one after being a loyal customer. I was having to look at 5 in the morning just to get a slot. Then they started ringing to say they hadn't got any drivers and could we collect the shopping. It used to be a really good service but loyalty often counts for nothing.

JackyB Sun 05-Dec-21 10:10:46

As I said above, we don't have the option of having food delivered here, but the question was also do we enjoy it. I can only say that I do enjoy my weekly shop. It only takes me an hour a week and it's the only time I get out of the house. In our small town, the supermarkets aren't full, and less so if I go during the day which, as a retired person, I obviously do.

I like to browse a little, but I rarely buy anything that's not on the list.

I don't really enjoy "high street shopping". I haven't done anything like that since the beginning of the pandemic. It is practically a day's outing, as all larger towns are at least 30 km away. So the thought of sitting in a café or a restaurant to take a break, with a coat on and loads of shopping bags round my feet, just doesn't appeal.

Rowsie Sun 05-Dec-21 09:39:38

I sometimes shop online for food because I don't have a car any more and can't carry the heavy stuff I want. I like to drink sparkling water and those bottles are heavy so every few months I do a Tesco online shop and order about 10 bottles. However, in the last 2 deliveries when the shopping arrived they had substituted it for plain water (which I didn't want) so they took them back and I was left with the dilemma of how to get some bottles of sparkling water! I now tend to do a supermarket shop and get a cab home. The cab is the same cost as the delivery charge and I can ensure I have everything I want.

Teacheranne Sat 04-Dec-21 11:59:10

V3ra

My Tesco delivery saver plan is due for renewal. I've had an email telling me it's £72 for the "anytime any day" option.
I have a delivery virtually every week and last year's deliveries would have cost me £218.50 if I'd paid each time. Bargain ?

Over the years I've also ordered online from supermarkets in Spain and Portugal, and had it delivered to our self-catering holiday apartment. Ordered before we flew out and it arrived the next day. Perfect ?

The Tesco delivery saver plan is such good value, I pay £7.99 a month and could have an order every day if I want! If I use a weekly click and collect, I only spend £6 a month so every three months I get a refund on the difference, ie £1.99 a month! It’s a win win situation, you get the refund if you don’t spend more than you pay for the saver plan.

During the first lockdown Tesco stopped issuing the saver plans, as it also gives you four weeks of dates to book regather then three for non saver plan customers, so proved too popular. As soon as they were available again, I applied as having that extra week is very useful at busy times of the year such as Christmas.

Teacheranne Sat 04-Dec-21 11:44:25

Kate1949

We never did it pre pandemic but have had a Tesco order every 10 days since the start. They have been fantastic. Rarely late, very rarely a substitution or anything missing. That is until about 2 weeks ago when the wheels came off. The order before last didn't arrive at all and yesterday the bag of potatoes we ordered was out of stock. They sent us one loose potato grin

I had the opposite experience during the first lockdown. Having had a monthly Tesco order for over ten years for all the bulky, heavy items, I was unable to get a delivery slot in April or May which rather annoyed me. I was not elderly nor shielding but do have significant mobility problems, enough to qualify for a disabled parking badge, and find supermarket shopping very difficult. Even staying up until after midnight to get newly available slots did not work.

However I was able to get click and collect spaces by being flexible over times and collection points which I have continued using ever since. I have recently gone back to weekly deliveries as it saves time and the drivers now bring the shopping into my kitchen again which greatly helps me. I now pay monthly for the saver pass which gives me an extra week to book slots so was able to get a Christmas week slot as well.

I did get frustrated in the first lockdown to realise that some people were able to get deliveries for the first time when regular shoppers like me were not being given priority but I just had to grit my teeth, take painkillers and go to the shops every few days until things settled down a little!

Occasionally there are problems with substitutions or out of stock items but they are easy to deal with when collecting the order or through the driver. It’s also easy to return short date items if I don’t want them and I’ve only once had an unacceptable product, some slightly mouldy raspberries, a quick phone call once home got me an instant refund.

There is less choice than going to the large stores but for someone with health issues, that slight inconvenience is well worth it. I do find myself spending a lot though as it’s so easy to pop something in the “basket” as a treat but I think I was more tempted to do that when still going to the shops.

Babs758 Sat 04-Dec-21 10:55:19

Frequent user of Ocado and Waitrose. Recently however Waitrose have been delivering chicken and pork with very short use by dates. I don’t have this issue with Ocado. Ocado also have really good heritage tomatoes and selections of in season wild mushrooms. Also their carrier bag scheme is good and convenient. But there are goods I would miss if I dropped Waitrose … all the delivery drivers from both companies have been friendly and helpful. I also get deliveries from Milk and More who are reliable too. Our nearest Waitrose is 8 miles away and the local Sainsburys is very crowded…

Redhead56 Sat 04-Dec-21 10:27:22

I shop Amazon Fresh for free range chicken wings which are not available anywhere. I shop on line for anything I can’t get here since our deli and fish counters have closed.

Rosalyn69 Sat 04-Dec-21 10:22:08

I’m an addict. I was before the pandemic and still am. I dislike wandering around supermarkets and dealing with other shoppers.

Franbern Sat 04-Dec-21 09:23:59

Am a newbie to this on-line, delivery grocery shopping. When I decided to get rid of my car, my eldest daughter encouraged me by purchasing for me a delivery pass for Sainsbury.

Took me a few weeks to grapple with the system. Now start a basket off early each week, in order to book my preferred delivery slot, then do a proper amended list just 24 hours before that is due.

It is convenient, and was great the last couple of weeks when I was ill with bronchitus. However, I so miss my weekly trip to the supermarket and mooch around the aisles. Things I can get that way, which do not appear on the on-line shop. No idea why (mainly Sainsbury's own brand items).

Will continue with this for the winter, but as soon as weather improves will go back to shopping in person. I am fortunate that the bus stops to/from my local Sainsbury's are directly outside my flats.

I think that shopping on-line is resulting in quite boring meals, as I tend just to put on my 'favourites'. Shopping in person means something catches my eye and I will try it out. Also, used to be good for practicing my mental maths as I would stand working out whether a special offer really was!!!
Also find that with things like fresh fruit/vegetables, I dislike having to rely on someone else's choice of size (bramley apples for example).

So, I am not a convert.

V3ra Thu 02-Dec-21 11:13:01

My Tesco delivery saver plan is due for renewal. I've had an email telling me it's £72 for the "anytime any day" option.
I have a delivery virtually every week and last year's deliveries would have cost me £218.50 if I'd paid each time. Bargain ?

Over the years I've also ordered online from supermarkets in Spain and Portugal, and had it delivered to our self-catering holiday apartment. Ordered before we flew out and it arrived the next day. Perfect ?

henetha Thu 02-Dec-21 10:17:24

I did click and collect for ages, and only recently started going into supermarkets again. But due to Omicron I am thinking of going back to click and collect again. For fresh stuff like bread and veg I do try to support local shops.

25Avalon Thu 02-Dec-21 10:08:40

Talking of opticians my eyesight is such that I don’t need glasses for reading and in the supermarket would take my glasses off to read the labels and prices. The only way I could read the labels of items on the bottom shelf however was by kneeling on the floor. Now I don’t go in person anymore other shoppers no longer have the hazard of falling over me.?

nipsmum Thu 02-Dec-21 10:02:08

I done on line shopping from Tesco for the past 20 years at least. I used to love in a small town in central Scotland that didn't have a decent supermarket. The nearest was Tesco 20 miles away. As I only got 2 days off in the week , I didn't want to use one on shopping. I shopped every 4 weeks and still do. No lifting and carrying with home deliveries. It's delivered straight to my kitchen. I can still shop in other places if I need to top up and even although I live within walking distance of 2 or 3 very good supermarkets I still get my main shop every 4 weeks from Tesco. They very rarely get things wrong and are very quick to refund anything that's not satisfactory. I would say to anyone who is struggling with shopping, if you have access to the internet, use it for deliveries from most of the supermarkets .

Lillian40 Wed 01-Dec-21 18:57:58

Yes, I have shopped online since my optician told me I shouldn't be driving anymore, I have Macro Degenerative. I live alone, and family are hundreds of miles away. I dont intend to rely on friends or neighbours, that is unfair on them. I order enough food, for 4 to 6 weeks, with Morrisons. They have always been reliable, and I usually get the time and day I request. I also shop online with Iceland, I get all my frozen foods from them and not from Morrisons, as they have more selection. That is every 4 to 6 weeks also. Iceland can deliver the same day if you wish. I like to have all my groceries and frozen foods delivered the same week if possible. My cupboards and freezer and fridge are then full. If I was ill ,or the weather was to bad for me to get out ,I have no worries. I am old and have Arthritis which means walking and carrying would be impossible. I also have more time to do other things and not have to queue in supermarkets anymore.
I highly recommend this way of shopping if you are in a similar situation to me.

storynanny Wed 01-Dec-21 17:43:34

I started Asda click and collect during lockdown and love it so much I’ve continued with a fortnightly order. I love the convenience of shopping “ your regulars”. It’s very local and whilst DH is loading the shopping into the car I nip into Asda and pick up a few things I’ve forgotten. I do click no subs though as I’ve had a few random swaps in the past.

BladeAnnie Wed 01-Dec-21 17:21:59

I can't actually remember the last time I went in a supermarket. We've been having sainsbury's for years snd I wouldn't have it any other way ?

Bijou Wed 01-Dec-21 17:13:27

I had an on line from Sainsburys from Sainsbury four years ago after an operation and now every ten days or so ever since the pandemic started. Some people grumble about the delivery charge but when I used to go to town 26 miles away each week it cost me £10. Bus fare and scooter hire.
Sainsbury delivery driver unpacks everything on to my kitchen table while I stand a distance away. The man last week thanked me for having a delivery because it provided him with employment.

OnwardandUpward Wed 01-Dec-21 17:11:24

I shop for everything online. I wouldn't say I actually doing it, but I do enjoy not having to go out in the cold and break my back carrying things that are too heavy, so it's great to have it delivered.
I go to the shops as well, but with covid on the rise again, I think online shopping may be best.

Greciangirl Wed 01-Dec-21 16:59:07

Since the start of the pandemic, I have used click and collect for groceries from Tesco and Asda.

I have found both to be convenient and efficient.
There are always lots of slots to choose from as well.
I get the odd few substitutions, but can always hand them back if not wanted.

I have thought recently about going into a supermarket and actually doing a shop like I used to. But I feel I have grown lazy, and the thought of it is not very appealing.
Also, Covid lurking around has put me of.

M0nica Wed 01-Dec-21 16:52:22

I do not do grocery shopping online.

My bread, meat and fish comes from local businesses, although the fishman delivers irect. I go to the market in a nearby local country town. i love going there and when the fruit and veg are in the cart, I will go back to wander round the town square, visit charity shops and try to avoid the excellent second hand book shop.

Then once a week I go to the other country town to Waitrose for the rest of the food shopping. I visit the local all purpose shop for everything from firelighters to magnifying glasses(a stocking present fro DGS), get my hair done, go the the bank, fabric shop, chemist and everything else.

Living in a rural area I like these two opportunities a week to keep my driving going, stretch my eyes and look further than across a room. o do buy a lot online but only when what I am buying can be precisely defined.

Saetana Wed 01-Dec-21 16:43:23

Big Sainsburys delivery every two weeks - excellent service, I've been using them for years now. I also use the local Co-op for small top up delivery orders and occasionally Uber Eats for grocery deliveries if the Co-op isn't open or don't sell what I want. Given the covid situation, I am so glad that grocery deliveries are now plentiful and easy to book - it was a nightmare in early lockdown, couldn't book a Sainsburys slot for love nor money even though husband is ECV, I was so glad when the Co-op started doing small local deliveries as I was going out at least every other day for small grocery shops (no car) which was more than I did before covid!