Gransnet forums

Food

Wine and weightloss

(30 Posts)
Sallywally1 Thu 27-Jan-22 01:42:10

Has anyone ever managed to lose weight by giving up wine, but otherwise eating a normal diet?

Asking for a friend!

BigBertha1 Thu 27-Jan-22 06:40:01

Not quite but I can say that no drinking wine whilst doing Slimming World has given me a much better weight loss than I have had before while dieting. Almost a stone in January.

M0nica Thu 27-Jan-22 06:43:22

Depends how much wine is being consumed. 1 glass a day, probably not. I bottle a day, possible, especially as cutting back this much wine would be so much better for your friend's health and they will feel so much better they may well feel like taking some exercise.

HettyBetty Thu 27-Jan-22 08:01:53

As a friend of mine says, wine is just wet calories.

I don't drink alcohol but I can see her point.

JaneJudge Thu 27-Jan-22 08:10:46

as a regular at diet clubs over the years, most people swap to gin or vodka with a low cal mixer instead....

Kate1949 Thu 27-Jan-22 10:00:40

Yes. Years ago me and my sister joined Rosemary Conley slimming club. It was so long ago that Rosemary herself was running it! We both lost about a stone and a half and carried on our wine drinking as usual. We had a few glasses every night. Mind you we were a lot younger then.

Redhead56 Thu 27-Jan-22 10:27:38

NHS Better Health Lets do this weight loss plans are common sense diets. Healthy hearts weight plan and The Eat well guide very easy to follow diets great recipes so you don’t get bored. Add a bit of walking or exercise in the house or garden just keeping on your feet more. My husband did this over a couple of months and lost over two stone mostly cutting out the sweet stuff he loved. Still able to have a few beers or wine so he wasn’t miserable.

Ilovecheese Thu 09-Jun-22 14:29:32

I suppose if you just gave up wine, whether you lost more weight or not would depend on whether you substituted something else for the wine. Giving up wine but nibbling peanuts instead, not so good.

Antonia Thu 09-Jun-22 14:33:23

To be honest, I'd rather keep my few extra pounds than give up wine.

Kate1949 Thu 09-Jun-22 14:53:10

Just realised my reply was the opposite of what was asked! Doh.

Kate1949 Thu 09-Jun-22 14:53:55

Me too Antonia . There are so few pleasures left.

FannyCornforth Thu 09-Jun-22 14:57:19

No. I’m a big tippler. A few years ago I stopped drinking altogether for two months.
Lost no weight at all. I was amazed (not in a good way) tbh.

PinkCosmos Thu 09-Jun-22 15:16:11

As Monica says, it depends how much wine you are drinking.

A bottle of white wine has around 800 calories, more for rose. That's the daily allowance on the Fast 800 diet sad

I can easily drink a bottle of wine in a night - 3 x 250ml glasses.

I am trying very hard at the moment to cut out the wine except at weekends. I am not an alcoholic but it became a bad habit during lockdown, as I am sure it did for many other people. I gained around a stone during lockdown and am still trying to lose it. I was already overweight.

I have been to Weigh Watcher in the past and the leader always used to say, 'imagine every glass of wine is a slice of cake' as it has a similar number of calories. I don't have a sweet tooth so don't really eat cakes and biscuits. Goodness knows what size I would be if I did blush!!

I know from experience that if I do cut out the wine, I will lose weight. However, I suppose if you are only drinking a small glass a day won't make much difference.

Unfortunately, I am off the same mind as Antonia and*Kate1949*.

Kate1949 Thu 09-Jun-22 15:29:11

Well such honesty from some posters on here. I am a regular drinker of wine but always hesitant to say for fear of the drink police.
I have no intention of giving it up or cutting it down. There I've said it grin. I am nearly 73, not overweight, eat well, walk most days. I've never smoked.
My life has been quite difficult - yes I know drink isn't the answer before anyone reminds me. However it is enjoyable and relaxing (for me). wine

ayse Thu 09-Jun-22 15:32:30

My daughter does dry February and always loses weight during this month.

Esspee Thu 09-Jun-22 15:34:52

Giving up anything you normally eat and not replacing it with anything else will result in weight loss. You (sorry, I mean your friend ?) will lose weight or increase weight more slowly if you give up the booze.

ayse Thu 09-Jun-22 15:35:34

Granny always said ‘a little of what you fancy does you good’. I’d go along with that except tobacco but that was my choice.

Esspee Thu 09-Jun-22 15:36:54

Do you know that your glass of wine increases your chance of breast cancer Kate?

Kate1949 Thu 09-Jun-22 15:38:29

Yes Esspee As I said I'm nearly 73. I've heard all the warnings.

Kate1949 Thu 09-Jun-22 15:39:35

Just to add, my teetotal neighbour had breast cancer. My teetotal friend died of it aged 32.

Esspee Thu 09-Jun-22 15:48:15

That is illogical Kate. It is like saying my granny smoked like a chimney and lived to 100 therefore I feel safe to smoke.

I am not the Alcohol Police but so many people seem unaware of the risks.

Kate1949 Thu 09-Jun-22 15:55:24

I understand what you are saying Esspee. I am very aware of the risks. We are reminded enough. I have a couple of glasses of wine at night. It's quite weak wine. I enjoy it.

Kate1949 Thu 09-Jun-22 16:00:03

Thinking about it, that's not quite what I meant. I didn't mean that even though they didn't drink they still got breast cancer. I meant I enjoy it, it helps me relax and if I gave up something I enjoy I still have a chance of becoming illanyway.

Callistemon21 Thu 09-Jun-22 16:33:15

I'm sure I recall Nigella Lawson attributed her weight loss to giving up wine.

It was probably more to the shock of seeing photos of herself on Bondi Beach in the media.

MawtheMerrier Thu 09-Jun-22 18:59:24

Sadly I don’t drink enough to make it worthwhile giving it up!
I hate drinking alone so it’s only ever a glass of red or white if I am out for a meal.
One more thing not to be able to give up.
Perhaps if I started…..then I could give it up?