Gransnet forums

Food

The meal of a lifetime.

(138 Posts)
BigBertha1 Sun 30-Jan-22 22:33:59

I have heard good things about that restaurant saga. Mine would have to be dinner under the stars at Governers Camp in the Masai Mara.

tanith Sun 30-Jan-22 22:20:32

Champagne breakfast at the bottom of the Grand Canyon, the food wasn’t all that but the view was to die for.

Josieann Sun 30-Jan-22 21:58:57

Wow, that sounds amazing! I've just looked it up, 2 Michelin stars no less!
As said, it is sometimes the whole experience. Mine was a pizza by the water in Saint Tropez. This was no ordinary pizza, but a very generous truffle pizza, out of this world!
Otherwise Mere (Monica Galetti), each course a work of art .... and she took us round the surprisingly compact kitchen after!

J52 Sun 30-Jan-22 21:52:31

CanadianGran

A standout for us was Araxi in Whistler BC. We went for our anniversary, and the meal was fantastic. I can't remember the details since it was quite a few years ago, but I do remember that every bite was sublime. Then the lovely walk through the village to our condo rental. Whistler in summertime is a really nice place to visit.

We ate there when we were in Whistler, a fab restaurant that we’ve recommended to several friends touring that part of Canada.

dragonfly46 Sun 30-Jan-22 21:41:58

Our best meal was an omelette in a little French restaurant after we had battled the wind and rain to put our tent up and it took all the money we had. Truly memorable!

CanadianGran Sun 30-Jan-22 21:35:54

A standout for us was Araxi in Whistler BC. We went for our anniversary, and the meal was fantastic. I can't remember the details since it was quite a few years ago, but I do remember that every bite was sublime. Then the lovely walk through the village to our condo rental. Whistler in summertime is a really nice place to visit.

MiniMoon Sun 30-Jan-22 21:35:20

Tasting menu at Hyem in Wall. The only Michelin starred restaurant in Northumberland. 18 courses of the most sublime little dishes with the juice tasting menu. Everything was presented beautifully, and each course described by the very knowledgeable waiting staff.

It was a 70th birthday gift to my husband from our wonderful children and their partners.

janeainsworth Sun 30-Jan-22 21:29:02

Dinner at the Negresco Hotel in Nice.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 30-Jan-22 21:25:21

How lovely. Which courses were your favourite?

I have only been to this type of meal at our local Hotel. The restaurant is called The Pass, and has different resident chefs over a few months, so the menu takes on a quite different style and flavour each time which is fun.

But tbh we mostly go to the traditional restaurant in the same hotel when we go.

Nothing beats good food I think.

One of my meals of a lifetime was on a Maldives island. We had that evening gone out in fishing boat and caught fish, hauled in lobsters and crab.

We ate them that night with the tables scattered with frangipani on the beach under the stars.

Unforgettable.

Urmstongran Sun 30-Jan-22 21:25:04

I still love double eggs and chips. Even on Death Row it would be my meal of choice.

You can take the girl out of Old Trafford ....

EllanVannin Sun 30-Jan-22 21:20:45

Doyles, Watson Bay Australia. Best seafood dishes in the world.

Lucca Sun 30-Jan-22 21:09:07

I was once invited to dinner at Maxim in Paris (with friends of my parents ) but there had been a fire in the kitchens ! So we went to the Tour d’argent instead. I was 17 at the time so can’t remember what we ate !!
However I’d say that a wonderful meal was in the Cheval Rouge in Chenonceaux which we found by chance at least 20 years ago. Spectacular food and every time we have been within 50 miles we have returned. I remember a lovely seafood dish and a dessert called ceps des moines a mushroom shaped meringue with chocolate on top among other things.

Sago Sun 30-Jan-22 20:59:47

Today I have been lucky enough to have the “Aulis” experience at L’Enclume in Cartmel.
It was truly out of this world, the most special day in every way.
16 courses of the most intricate and utterly delicious food I have ever eaten.
I feel so lucky and cannot imagine ever topping this experience.
What and where has been your meal of a lifetime.