Gransnet forums

Food

Flavoured hot cross buns-yummy or an abomination?

(47 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Sun 06-Mar-22 15:27:13

Paw would not countenance any hot cross buns before Holy Week but they have always been among my favourite “seasonal” bakes, beating mince pies hands down.
But what about all the different varieties you can get now?
Do they beat a simply spiced hot cross bun?
I have to declare an interest as I have just demolished a Waitrose Mocha Coffee version and it was amaaaazing !

Witzend Sun 06-Mar-22 18:01:42

I never fancy any non-traditional ones at all.
Much as I like chocolate - in its place! - I certainly don’t want it in a hot cross bun. Ditto caramel or anything else.,

Mollygo Sun 06-Mar-22 18:03:20

MawtheMerrier

A medal to you * Mollygo* ? for your selfless research! grin

gringrin some research for more pleasant than others.

MissAdventure Sun 06-Mar-22 18:12:46

I do really love ginger.
Perhaps I could try a bun with some in...

BBbevan Sun 06-Mar-22 20:21:44

We had some apple hot cross buns from M&S , quite nice but not special. Best has been a hot cross bun loaf from Sainsburys. Soft, spicy and great toasted or just buttered

JaneJudge Sun 06-Mar-22 20:34:39

I noticed the co-op had double chocolate ones i think..today...but i said no, no NO JANE YOU DON'T NEED THEM

BigBertha1 Sun 06-Mar-22 22:19:53

Waitrose wholemeal ones are very nice and have more taste than the white versions.

Granmarderby10 Sun 06-Mar-22 22:30:10

Sainsburys’ Taste The Difference cheddar and chutney hot cross buns…they were on a clearance shelf
A taste sensation toasted

Callistemon21 Sun 06-Mar-22 22:50:28

a simply spiced hot cross bun every time and not before Good Friday morning.

Spice101 Sun 06-Mar-22 22:57:42

Have to be the traditional fruit ones for me and I'm happy to start eating them when they appear on the shelves.

This year, they sat right along side the last of the mince pies.

ElaineI Sun 06-Mar-22 23:12:37

I like most of the flavours. A hot cross bun is a bun with a cross on the top - any flavour and warmed surely. Don't like marmite though and think of the buns as sweetish not cheesy - (hate cheese scones as well, prefer sweet) and will eat them round about Easter any day. Life too short to care about which day TBH. Child care for both DDs, care of DM, care of DH, supporting DD2 regarding contact beginning with DGS2 and his father - DGS2 (3) enjoying it but nightmare for DD2 and think leopard and spots for her abusive, narcissistic sperm donor so will eat any sweet flavour any time for comfort!

Blossoming Sun 06-Mar-22 23:13:08

Tried the chocolate ones last year, definitely an abomination!

Deedaa Sun 06-Mar-22 23:26:15

Only traditional Hot X buns for me. I've tried apple ones and they're OK but not as good as the real thing.

Kim19 Mon 07-Mar-22 02:17:23

Good research ixion! I'll try most innovative and sweet flavours but one cross is definitely my limit.

NotTooOld Fri 11-Mar-22 14:42:51

I bought some carrot cake flavour ones from the co-op this morning. No idea what they are like yet but can't wait!

gulligranny Fri 11-Mar-22 14:48:17

I found Cadbury's Hot Cross Bun chocolate yesterday. In the interests of research DH and I tried it last night ... a bit of fruit and some allegedly cinnamon crunch, didn't give us the taste sensation we were expecting. Back to Wholenut for us.

Although DH favours only a spiced fruit bun, I am going to look for those Mocha Coffee ones next time I'm in Waitrose!

ixion Fri 11-Mar-22 14:52:36

Kim19

Good research ixion! I'll try most innovative and sweet flavours but one cross is definitely my limit.

Spotted by DS in his local Australian supermarket!

ValentineBiceps Fri 11-Mar-22 16:07:23

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

NotTooOld Fri 11-Mar-22 17:08:46

Tried the Co-op carrot cake flavour buns and they are good. Well worth a try. Also like the Cadbury's Hot Cross Bun flavour chocolate.

FoghornLeghorn Fri 11-Mar-22 19:08:38

An abomination. I could have wept when I went to butter one I had just bought at Tesco and realised I’d picked up salted caramel flavour. Yuk!

Helen657 Wed 16-Mar-22 15:32:27

I’m in the marmite ?? camp so shan’t be trying those, but I love the M&S apple HXBs and the Cranberry HXBs too.
I only eat them lightly toasted, which just doesn’t work with the chocolate ones - results in a very messy toaster and an even messier me!!!

TillyTrotter Wed 16-Mar-22 16:29:37

I like original sultana and spice hot x buns
but DH likes those, also the apple ones and this week he tried blueberry ones and said those were tasty.