Gransnet forums

Food

Savoury Snacks Part 2: ‘Look what I’ve found!’ ?

(70 Posts)
FannyCornforth Wed 16-Mar-22 12:52:59

I’ve just got to find some Cheese Moments and my quest will be over!

MissAdventure Sun 20-Mar-22 12:09:56

We had to drink the cabbage water to help our spots.

cc Sun 20-Mar-22 12:10:58

Lupatria

i wanted to buy blancmange a while ago so i googled ut and found green's website. they sell so many things which are difficult to get these days - creme caramel "mix" for instance - so i'm well stocked up now.
i looked for black cherry jelly and i found it at morrisons but can't find pineapple anywhere.

I seem to remember that real pineapple stops jelly from setting?

FannyCornforth Sun 20-Mar-22 12:24:13

cc (I love your username, it’s very enigmatic) do you think that there is some truth in the jelly / nail thing then? I can’t decide

H1954 Sun 20-Mar-22 12:31:29

Lots of tasty nostalgic memories on here! I have just looked at the Greens website as we like blancmange but struggle to find it. The website must be very busy as it is horrendously slow.....going to try again later.

greenlady102 Sun 20-Mar-22 12:32:06

cc

Lupatria

i wanted to buy blancmange a while ago so i googled ut and found green's website. they sell so many things which are difficult to get these days - creme caramel "mix" for instance - so i'm well stocked up now.
i looked for black cherry jelly and i found it at morrisons but can't find pineapple anywhere.

I seem to remember that real pineapple stops jelly from setting?

yup, pineapple, kiwi and paw paw all contain a chemical that breaks the long protein chains in gelatine. Its those long chains that trap the liquid and make jelly set. the juices from those fruits can aslo be added to marinades to tenderise meat. Geat care is needed in their use though because they can affect how warfarin works.

HurdyGurdy Sun 20-Mar-22 12:54:10

I make a lovely Pina Colada cheesecake (which is absolutely not what I would consider cheesecake, but that's what the recipe calls it) which needs pineapple jelly. It is really hard to find. The only place I have found it is in Sainsbury

I don't buy jelly other than for that, so I've not noticed whether there are fewer flavours than before .

HannahLoisLuke Sun 20-Mar-22 13:05:06

FannyCornforth

I remember my mom and I eating a cube of ‘raw’ jelly every day to strengthen our nails.
I think that the science behind that was somewhat flawed!

I used to do the same. These days I take a collegen supplement which keeps my nails, skin and hair in good condition. As I have to take steroids for a pmr it also stops that ugly purple bruising that you get when on steroids. Jelly is made of gelatine which has similar benefits.

SachaMac Sun 20-Mar-22 13:15:46

It’s Walkers Worcester Sauce flavour French Fries or Seabrooks Beefy crisps for me. I’m also partial to a good old fashioned Ritz cracker.

HurdyGurdy Sun 20-Mar-22 13:18:44

We used to love Potato Deltas that M&S sold around Christmas time. Very thin salted potato triangles. So more-ish. Haven't seen them for years sadly.

gulligranny Sun 20-Mar-22 13:22:22

There used to be a Worcester Sauce flavour Twiglet - they were gorgeous, but I don't like the "ordinary" one.

Those Scampi Fries with Lemon were lovely too, and I was mad about cheese footballs, are they still available?

MissAdventure Sun 20-Mar-22 13:24:17

I used to like potato puffs.

Bignanny2 Sun 20-Mar-22 14:20:52

Yes so annoying that you can’t buy blancmange in supermarkets these days. I wanted to do a pink rabbit like we always had as kids but couldn’t get any. So I used cornflour and strawberry food colouring/flavourings - it worked well. I’ve done it since with chocolate flavouring too .

Teacheranne Sun 20-Mar-22 14:32:22

nipsmum

My snack of choice at the moment is Walkers French Fries. Multi packs of 6 or 12 .

I was sent a mixed pack of these in my online order as a substitution for a pack of just salted ones. I’m not fond of the salt and vinegar ones but I guess I will force myself to eat them! I love the Worcestershire sauce flavour but they are not in mixed packs and I rarely see them as individual ones.

I’ve just bought an air fryer and have joined a couple of FB groups to get recipe ideas. It’s interesting to see how many American recipes use crushed crisps as a coating on meat such as chicken wings in the air fryer.

Fronkydonky Sun 20-Mar-22 14:59:29

I love a blancmange so does my husband. If I can’t buy it I just add flavouring and colour to cornflour sugar and milk. I used to buy Pearce Duff. I think my favourite snacks are the puff pastry cheese straw type things that you have with dips.

grannypiper Sun 20-Mar-22 15:05:27

FannyCornforth We were just talking about the ready salted Chipsticks half an hour ago !

queenofsaanich69 Sun 20-Mar-22 15:25:39

Just made “ frog in a pond” for my grandchildren,chocolate frog in a bowl,cooled green jelly on top—— I’d prefer twiglets but can’t buy them here,sadly.

andreab2019 Sun 20-Mar-22 15:34:33

FannyCornforth Morrisons sell salted chip sticks

crazyH Sun 20-Mar-22 15:50:49

Whatever next ? Nice snack though ?

elleks Sun 20-Mar-22 16:58:16

Fronkydonky

I love a blancmange so does my husband. If I can’t buy it I just add flavouring and colour to cornflour sugar and milk. I used to buy Pearce Duff. I think my favourite snacks are the puff pastry cheese straw type things that you have with dips.

That's all that blancmange powder is-flavoured cornflour. I made a coffee one in cookery class at school.

Penelopebee Sun 20-Mar-22 17:34:58

I always said if I could I would marry a bag of walkers cheese and onion crisps
But it wouldn't be a very long relationship

yellowcanary Sun 20-Mar-22 18:06:30

pce612

Lots of advertising for the new Mini Cheddar Crunchlets but can't get them anywhere in multipacks. First found them in Farmfoods but they don't have them when we go in now.
Sainsburys have the big bags but are usually sold out. We don't buy the big bags as no willpower to stop munching.

You can get them in Home Bargains and Tesco

MissAdventure Sun 20-Mar-22 18:11:23

The co-op chipsticks are lovely, and 99p for a big bag.

JaneJudge Sun 20-Mar-22 18:11:32

my husband like red Leicester cheddars grin

MissAdventure Sun 20-Mar-22 18:13:33

I love Walkers Sensations in the sweet chilli flavour.
I've no time for blancmange and all that type of sloppy stuff.
The texture of crispy things is where it's at, for me.

Madashell Sun 20-Mar-22 19:24:30

One time Aldi used to sell Pea Sticks - very scoffable. Haven’t seen the for ages, may be because we don’t have an Aldi.

When the children were small I used to make milk jelly in a rabbit mould. (Whisk a tin of evaporated milk and use it to
replace part of the liquid in jelly)