Gransnet forums

Food

Savoury Snacks Part 2: ‘Look what I’ve found!’ ?

(69 Posts)
FannyCornforth Wed 16-Mar-22 12:52:59

I’ve just got to find some Cheese Moments and my quest will be over!

MiniMoon Wed 16-Mar-22 15:53:03

I used to like a packet of Scampi & Lemon fries. I also like Twiglets, but they are hard to find except at Christmas.

Changing the subject rather, I asked DH to buy an orange jelly when he went to the Co-op. He said they only sell the red ones!
I've been on Amazon and ordered a custom 12 pack. Pick your own 3 flavours. I ordered black cherry, orange and pineapple.

FannyCornforth Thu 17-Mar-22 05:40:42

I remember my mom and I eating a cube of ‘raw’ jelly every day to strengthen our nails.
I think that the science behind that was somewhat flawed!

ixion Thu 17-Mar-22 05:49:59

MiniMoon

I used to like a packet of Scampi & Lemon fries. I also like Twiglets, but they are hard to find except at Christmas.

Changing the subject rather, I asked DH to buy an orange jelly when he went to the Co-op. He said they only sell the red ones!
I've been on Amazon and ordered a custom 12 pack. Pick your own 3 flavours. I ordered black cherry, orange and pineapple.

That's strange - I have had to buy orange Quick Jel on line, as all the shops I have tried only sell the red.
I wonder what makes the orange versions so difficult to find?

Teacheranne Thu 17-Mar-22 11:06:52

MiniMoon

I love Twiglets as well! Tescos sell a multi pack of six small packets all year round so I can treat myself without scoffing a large bag! It’s surprising how many different crisps and snacks are sold in multi packs, like Doritos and popcorn. So helpful for people like me with no will power!

FannyCornforth Fri 18-Mar-22 05:47:52

I had a packet of the Scampi Fries yesterday. They didn’t disappoint; unlike the packet of Bacon Fries. Yuk.
I hope that DH will eat the Bacon Fries, as I won’t be able to justify buying them again

Annaram1 Sun 20-Mar-22 10:52:06

Lidls only sell orange and red jellies, and Waitrose sell those plus green ones and purple ones, but no yellow ones, and Tesco sell all the flavours including yellow ones. I often eat half a pack a day and have done for many years.

For savoury snacks there are none better than salt and vinegar crisps.

Toddleo Sun 20-Mar-22 10:56:16

I love the snack packs of twiglets, they go in my shopping trolley every week. Lovely. I also enjoy the single serve packs of savoury popcorn, if I buy the large unportioned pack, its too easy to eat the whole bag.

henetha Sun 20-Mar-22 11:01:31

Funny coincidence. At this very moment there is a packet of orange jelly waiting on the kitchen worktop for me to make it. And a tin of mandarin oranges to mix with it. I haven't had any difficult in getting orange jellies in Tesco.

nipsmum Sun 20-Mar-22 11:02:44

My snack of choice at the moment is Walkers French Fries. Multi packs of 6 or 12 .

Pippa22 Sun 20-Mar-22 11:02:59

My grandchildren love blancmange particularly from the rabbit mould I used to use when their mummy was little. Suddenly all the supermarkets have stopped selling it recently and I have had to resort to buying from Amazon ! Fancy that having to go to Amazon for blancmange, just the same flavours though and Pearce Duffs but not in a box. On back of packet it says Greens Deserts U.K. Ltd and says registered in England.

PollyDolly Sun 20-Mar-22 11:07:46

Ooooh! I like scampi flavour fries too! Seabrooks used to make tomato sauce flavour crisps years ago which was also a favourite of mine but sadly not available now.

On the topic of jellies - we buy the sugar free jelly crystal sachets which I make up into individual ramekins with tinned fruit in too. The addition of fruit enables me to make it up into six portions - a little treat after dinner for three nights and especially nice with a dollop of greek yogurt on top.

PollyDolly Sun 20-Mar-22 11:09:44

Toddleo

I love the snack packs of twiglets, they go in my shopping trolley every week. Lovely. I also enjoy the single serve packs of savoury popcorn, if I buy the large unportioned pack, its too easy to eat the whole bag.

Whenever I think of Twiglets it reminds me of the episode of Mr Bean when he was entertaining and he had no snacks. He broke off twigs from the tree outside his kitchen window and covered them in Marmite. lol

Lupatria Sun 20-Mar-22 11:16:38

i wanted to buy blancmange a while ago so i googled ut and found green's website. they sell so many things which are difficult to get these days - creme caramel "mix" for instance - so i'm well stocked up now.
i looked for black cherry jelly and i found it at morrisons but can't find pineapple anywhere.

FannyCornforth Sun 20-Mar-22 11:26:51

Polly Seabrooks are the king of traditional crisps.
As I said on the other savoury snack thread-
if Walkers are Gary Lineker;
then Seabrooks are Lionel Messi.

Pippa I love the sound of your rabbit blancmanche.
I’ve heard that some people make green jelly for the grass. ?

pce612 Sun 20-Mar-22 11:27:27

Lots of advertising for the new Mini Cheddar Crunchlets but can't get them anywhere in multipacks. First found them in Farmfoods but they don't have them when we go in now.
Sainsburys have the big bags but are usually sold out. We don't buy the big bags as no willpower to stop munching.

MiniMoon Sun 20-Mar-22 11:31:20

I rarely go shopping as DH works early mornings in Waitrose and part time evenings in the Co-op so he veins me everything I need.
I didn't know you could get Twiglets in a multi pack. I'll have to put them on my shopping list.
Thank you Teacheranne.

MiniMoon Sun 20-Mar-22 11:32:12

I don't need veins! He brings me everything I need.

FannyCornforth Sun 20-Mar-22 11:32:26

I’ve just found out that Smiths crisps are made by Walkers! shock

FannyCornforth Sun 20-Mar-22 11:34:38

I used to love Ready Salted Chipstcks; but you can only get the Salt n Vinegar ones now, and they make your mouth hurt, especially if, like me, you tend to eat too many of the damned things

Diggingdoris Sun 20-Mar-22 11:45:52

2 Christmases ago I couldn't find Blancmange powders in Sainsbury's and asked a member of staff to show me where they were. He'd never heard of them and didn't know what I was talking about. He was in his 20's.

Why have they stopped making tangerine jelly? It tasted far better than the orange ones when I made goldfish jellies for my grandchildren!

grittylemon Sun 20-Mar-22 11:46:08

Jacobs cracker crisps are my favourite at the moment

greenlady102 Sun 20-Mar-22 11:46:55

FannyCornforth

I had a packet of the Scampi Fries yesterday. They didn’t disappoint; unlike the packet of Bacon Fries. Yuk.
I hope that DH will eat the Bacon Fries, as I won’t be able to justify buying them again

amazon sell just the scampi ones or just the bacon ones.
www.amazon.co.uk/s?ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_12&crid=3HCERCXO3KLY7&sprefix=scampi+fries%2Caps%2C71&k=scampi+fries&tag=gransnetforum-21

Minibookworm Sun 20-Mar-22 12:02:08

DH & I both love chipsticks. Not the ‘fluffier, thicker’ ones but the plain, thin potato sticks. As a treat we’ll share a bag while watching TV. We start off with the intention of just sharing half, but inevitably end up scoffing the lot ?.

cc Sun 20-Mar-22 12:08:14

FannyCornforth

I remember my mom and I eating a cube of ‘raw’ jelly every day to strengthen our nails.
I think that the science behind that was somewhat flawed!

It's often recommended now to take collagen, which is in fact gelatine under another name, though some is from non-animal sources.