Gransnet forums

Food

Macaroni pie - does anyone else make this?

(57 Posts)
Witzend Sun 08-May-22 10:54:10

I first came across it on holiday, where it was a buffet staple. Basically macaroni cheese, only with eggs and baked in the oven.
Delish, and great for a buffet, since it slices into squares.

I’ve just put one in the oven, since dd and family arriving later for early dinner - SiL is craving a roast so doing his favourite lamb, but dd and Gdd1 are largely veggie.

Macaroni pie and a big crumble now both in the oven - and I’m still I’m my dressing gown! Once showered and dressed I will get on with peeling a mountain of potatoes - 2 elder Gdcs are eating like horses and growing like weeds at the moment.

Jane43 Sun 08-May-22 15:10:19

Witzend

That’s where we first found it too, V3ra!

If anyone would like the recipe, happy to pass on. Very easy but you do have to grate a lot of cheese!

I’ll definitely try this, I cooked macaroni cheese yesterday. Why not save yourself some time and use ready grated cheese? I used to do everything the traditional way but Aldi’s grated cheese and frozen chopped onions are such a help as I lurch towards my eighties.

Baggs Sun 08-May-22 15:12:35

Blossoming

By a happy coincidence I read an interesting article about macaroni pies a few days ago! It mentions versions from Trinidad and Barbados. I like the sound of the Bajan version with peppers.

Here’s a link to the article complete with basic recipe.

insearchofyummyness.com/trinidad-macaroni-pie/

Thank you for that recipe, blossoming! Great way to use up the evaporated milk that mrB bought instead of condensed.

V3ra Sun 08-May-22 17:19:25

Jane43 I'm a big fan of ready-grated cheese and frozen chopped onions too. Life's too short... ?

Redhead56 Sun 08-May-22 17:59:45

Thanks for the recipes definitely one to try out mid week.

Fennel Sun 08-May-22 18:26:29

These sound so tasty.
Just one point I learnt recently - when making any pasta recipe add the cooked pasta to the sauce not vice versa.

Shelflife Sun 08-May-22 20:32:18

Witzend, thankyou !

Chocolatelovinggran Sun 08-May-22 21:33:32

Ooh macaroni cheese: food of the gods ?

Nannylovesshopping Mon 09-May-22 13:06:03

Sounds yum! Definitely going to try this, thanks for recipe.

Tanjamaltija Mon 09-May-22 13:34:32

We have a Maltese version. Sometimes, it's in a pastry casing, and sometimes, not. It's your Mac 'n' cheese with bologanise sauce and eggs, and milk on top just before you put it in the oven, peas optional, baked till the top is crunchy. www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Feasyfamilyfoodblogging.files.wordpress.com%2F2018%2F03%2Fimqarrun-2.jpg%3Fw%3D640&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Frobandjas.com%2F2018%2F03%2F15%2Fimqarrun-il-forn%2F&tbnid=ihK117lp99VweM&vet=12ahUKEwjBo_OpttL3AhVFkaQKHdEQBicQMygUegUIARD0AQ..i&docid=T54JvQkQ_TWzBM&w=640&h=631&q=imqarrun%20fil-forn&ved=2ahUKEwjBo_OpttL3AhVFkaQKHdEQBicQMygUegUIARD0AQ and www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pappa.com.mt%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2020%2F04%2Ftimpana.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pappa.com.mt%2Frecipes%2Ftimpana%2F&tbnid=cwB6CA5wh-iBkM&vet=12ahUKEwiP-_fQttL3AhWJyKQKHYdRAU8QMygwegUIARCzAg..i&docid=vW-dlCfQ6_vt0M&w=585&h=280&q=timpana&ved=2ahUKEwiP-_fQttL3AhWJyKQKHYdRAU8QMygwegUIARCzAg In cubhes, it's party finger-food.

Buzzkaue Mon 09-May-22 13:35:42

My husband is from cyprus .and we have always made macaroni .the Cypriot way
.all the same ingredients you said but use hallumi ,my kids and grand kids love it .was my fave Cypriot dish for years .

grandtanteJE65 Mon 09-May-22 13:46:21

I have a German recipe that uses very thinly sliced potatoes with cheese, salt and pepper sprinkled on them and milk and an egg pour over.

Bake for 45 minutes or so at 200 degrees centigrade in an ordinary oven, or 180 degrees in one with hot air fan.

We prefer it to macaroni cheese, but I doubt it would slice into nice squares - shall try next time I make it.

HannahLoisLuke Mon 09-May-22 13:48:06

Thank you for these recipes, I shall try both. Already got the macaroni on to boil. I don’t have evaporated milk so I’m going to use Elmlea and hope it’s ok. I know it’s a different flavour but I hope it will be ok. Also going to add some chives. Looking forward to dinner tonight xxx

HurdyGurdy Mon 09-May-22 13:49:04

Witzend

For anyone who wants it:

My recipe is in Imperial, but 4 oz = roughly 100g.

16 oz short macaroni, or other pasta - I often use penne.
16 oz grated cheese - I use good strong Cheddar
16 fl oz milk (I use semi skimmed)
3 eggs
Salt, pepper (white if you don’t want a speckled pie), English mustard

Grease a large shallow ish baking dish.
Preheat oven to 180C, 160 fan.

Grate the cheese - a cylinder grater makes this a lot easier - I hate box graters!

Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, sling in the pasta and cook as per packet instructions.

Drain well and while it’s still hot, in a big bowl or pan combine pasta with cheese, mix well.

Beat eggs, add to milk, mix well, add salt, pepper and a good dollop of English mustard (about a heaped tsp), add all to the cheese and pasta, mix well.

Pile into baking dish, bake for about an hour. I cover the top with foil to stop it going too crispy.

Leave to rest for 15 mins before cutting into squares.
I’ve often made it well in advance and heated gently through, but it can be served at room temp.

A coleslaw type thing of white cabbage, onion, carrot, celery and apple, with just enough mayonnaise to hold it together, goes perfectly with this.

Thank you for the recipe. This sounds wonderful - and I've got one in the oven now! I can guarantee that I won't be leaving it for 15 minutes when it's done though grin

Nannina Mon 09-May-22 14:25:33

Given all the comments above I think I must definitely be an odd bod - I hate pasta. Horrible slimey stuff hmm

Urmstongran Mon 09-May-22 14:37:06

I’ve made a note of all these hey sound delicious! Thank you for sharing ladies.
?

Esspee Mon 09-May-22 15:03:10

We went to the Caribbean for 6 months in the early 70s and stayed for 14 years.
I have made macaroni pie since then but have never had a recipe for it. I just boil macaroni until al dente, drain and decant it into a buttered casserole dish, stir in loads of grated cheddar, whisk 2 or 3 eggs in about a pint of milk with salt and freshly ground black pepper and pour over the macaroni and cheese. Add more grated cheese on the top then bake in the oven about gas 200 until cooked through and lightly browned on top.
That’s the basic recipe but you can add bacon, ham, onions, peppers, mushrooms anything you want really. Our favourite is to add crisp streaky bacon or fried onions, red peppers and snipped chives or the green of leeks. Always cook the additions before adding to the pie.
Normally served hot as a side dish with pelau or stewed chicken it is very popular as a cold picnic dish too.
On its own it makes a lovely hot or cold lunch with salad.

HiMay Mon 09-May-22 15:45:58

Thank you. I’m going to try it tonight instead of the usual macaroni cheese I make(no eggs). Might slice a few tomatoes on top.

BlueSapphire Mon 09-May-22 19:25:26

Just wondering if I can halve it, (as there's only me), have half hot one night for dinner and the rest cold for lunch the next day.... It sounds delicious.

Desdemona Mon 09-May-22 21:07:26

I haven't made it myself but tried it when I went to Scotland as it is very popular there.

I noticed in Morrisons the other day that they were selling Ginsters Macaroni Cheese pasties. I bought one and it was delicious (although a bit small!)

Witzend Mon 09-May-22 21:11:08

BlueSapphire

Just wondering if I can halve it, (as there's only me), have half hot one night for dinner and the rest cold for lunch the next day.... It sounds delicious.

I’ve made a half quantity, with 2 eggs. It’s a bit of a faff to use one and a half!

Candelle Tue 10-May-22 00:28:01

Witzend, could you please advise how many portions your recipe makes?

Many thanks.

Yoginimeisje Tue 10-May-22 09:31:50

Witzend

For anyone who wants it:

My recipe is in Imperial, but 4 oz = roughly 100g.

16 oz short macaroni, or other pasta - I often use penne.
16 oz grated cheese - I use good strong Cheddar
16 fl oz milk (I use semi skimmed)
3 eggs
Salt, pepper (white if you don’t want a speckled pie), English mustard

Grease a large shallow ish baking dish.
Preheat oven to 180C, 160 fan.

Grate the cheese - a cylinder grater makes this a lot easier - I hate box graters!

Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, sling in the pasta and cook as per packet instructions.

Drain well and while it’s still hot, in a big bowl or pan combine pasta with cheese, mix well.

Beat eggs, add to milk, mix well, add salt, pepper and a good dollop of English mustard (about a heaped tsp), add all to the cheese and pasta, mix well.

Pile into baking dish, bake for about an hour. I cover the top with foil to stop it going too crispy.

Leave to rest for 15 mins before cutting into squares.
I’ve often made it well in advance and heated gently through, but it can be served at room temp.

A coleslaw type thing of white cabbage, onion, carrot, celery and apple, with just enough mayonnaise to hold it together, goes perfectly with this.

Thank you Witzend

I'll print that out and make it for my 6yr old granddaughter. She loves macaroni cheese and has become a very fussy eater of late. My DD & GDs came for Sunday roast last week but I had to make said GD maci cheese & fish fingers! She wouldn't even have a Yorkshire pudding! She doesn't like gravy and calls it 'curry sauce', won't eat chicken popcorn [chicken nuggets] which she used to love, won't eat cheese, so strange how she loves maci cheese. Getting worried about her, so very pleased to have this recipe.

Yoginimeisje Tue 10-May-22 09:35:48

Thanks to Esspee as well

Dinahmo Tue 10-May-22 09:41:09

Re timballe - a quick recipe. If you're cooking risotto, make twice the amount and keep half for another meal. Grease a baking dish, put in half the cold risotto and make a dent in the middle. You can then put in cubed mozarella cheese, or pieces of Parma ham or a raw egg or two. Some sun dried tomatoes maybe. Cover with the rest of the risotto, sprinkle with grated cheese - parmesan or grana padano preferably and bake for 30 minutes. Serve with a salad.

Witzend Tue 10-May-22 09:41:23

Yoginimeisje, my elder Gdd loves macaroni cheese and was apparently disappointed when she heard that there was going to be macaroni pie, instead. I should have called it macaroni CHEESE pie, though - she did really enjoy it in the end.