Gransnet forums

Food

Macaroni pie - does anyone else make this?

(57 Posts)
Witzend Sun 08-May-22 10:54:10

I first came across it on holiday, where it was a buffet staple. Basically macaroni cheese, only with eggs and baked in the oven.
Delish, and great for a buffet, since it slices into squares.

I’ve just put one in the oven, since dd and family arriving later for early dinner - SiL is craving a roast so doing his favourite lamb, but dd and Gdd1 are largely veggie.

Macaroni pie and a big crumble now both in the oven - and I’m still I’m my dressing gown! Once showered and dressed I will get on with peeling a mountain of potatoes - 2 elder Gdcs are eating like horses and growing like weeds at the moment.

Yoginimeisje Tue 10-May-22 09:49:58

Ah lovely

Witzend Tue 10-May-22 10:07:11

Candelle, it will depend on appetites and whether it’s a side or a main. My dish is about 27 cm square (internal measurements) and the pie will cut nicely into 9 portions for a side, also enough for a main for smaller appetites.

I’ve made it more than once for a Boxing Day buffet, always goes down well. A portion also reheats nicely in the microwave, with a little milk added if it’s gone a bit dry.

Marmight Tue 10-May-22 10:20:41

Witzend. Im going to try your recipe especially for the 10 year old veggie GS.! Thanks.
I’ve reached my advanced years having never achieved a satisfactory macaroni cheese. Either too sloppy or too solid. (I have never managed a satisfactory pancake either - don’t suppose anyone has advice on that?!)

Sara1954 Wed 11-May-22 15:47:28

I’ve just popped this into the oven, brilliantly simple, but a heck of a lot of cheese to grate.
I’ll update you with the family verdict later.

Sara1954 Wed 11-May-22 18:52:09

The scores are in
Husband, daughter and older grandchildren preferred it to the normal, youngest not so keen, and I have to be honest, I enjoyed it, but I prefer the original.
Grandson is going to take the last slice in his packed lunch.
I will definitely make it again, but probably add a bit more mustard.

HannahLoisLuke Fri 13-May-22 17:20:18

I made it a few days ago. Delicious hot or cold with a side salad. It lasted me for three days so economical too.