Gransnet forums

Food

Which sausage rolls are best?

(33 Posts)
vickya Sun 08-May-22 11:55:00

From the like button posts I saw this and wondered as other person in the house has a sausage roll, heated in the oven, daily for breakfast which ones gransnetters like.

" the people who like Greggs Sausage rolls all support and agree with each other, and the people who think they are the work of the devil also support and agree with each other." by volver
+++++++++++++++++++

For in house #1 has always been Greggs but we don't live near a shop and we get alternate deliveries each week from Morrisons and Tescos. One used to have Ginsters, which were apparently good but not as good as Greggs, and one had Walls, less good.

Then a while back Tescos Finest started their own and they were as good as Ginster, and then Morrisons got special best and they were as good as Ginsters too.

All those better than Walls and bottom, worse than Walls, were Asda finest. Greggs still are the best as the pastry is so fresh.

Lower even than Walls at the bottom are any Supermarket own except those mentioned. Prices vary and sometimes Ginsters were £1 and Finest etc more.

Also some packs have one big one, or 2 big ones, and then one is ok for breakfast, and some are 4 small ones in a pack. Then it takes 3 to make breakfast so you need 3 packs in the weekly delivery and some stored in the freezer, Ginsters from the Co-p on a walk, or or Russlers breakfast muffins or pancakes, which cost more.

Personally I have porridge smile And in sausage rolls it is the pastry I like best and filling not too strong a taste. Good pastry smells so nice.

Redhead56 Sun 08-May-22 20:30:21

I don't eat sausage rolls much at all but I have made them to take to a rugby match. Otherwise I will buy frozen Gregg's sausage rolls from Iceland. I have over the years tried others but grisly meat and horrid pastry has put me off.

Blossoming Sun 08-May-22 20:42:37

VickyA I love Bald Foodie Guy’s channel, I have picked up some good tips from there.

mrswoo Sun 08-May-22 21:55:45

I used to work next door to a Greggs and must admit to rushing in and buying a sausage roll for breakfast when I'd left home without eating. A colleague would buy 2 every morning for his breakfast. I haven't eaten one since retiring nearly 4 years ago and, as much as I like them, I've not missed them.

GagaJo Sun 08-May-22 22:25:00

My DGS is a Greggs vegan sausage roll fanatic. He can tell the difference between different bakers despite not being able to read yet. He will refuse to eat other vegan rolls. Personally, I think the vegan ones are a bit salty and am really not keen on the meat ones.

I do like my own sausage rolls. Finely chopped onions in the sausage meat. Thinner pastry. Mmmmm

Don't make them for that very reason.

timetogo2016 Sun 15-May-22 10:39:37

Homemade with low fat sausages and add a little onion.
Greggs gives me tummy ache.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 15-May-22 10:50:10

If we do eat them (not a lot, but I do like them) I usually make them, as there always seems something a bit dicey about the sausage meat in bought ones.

JaneJudge Sun 15-May-22 10:50:27

The only cold sausage rolls I like are these ones

www.ocado.com/products/m-s-collection-15-british-pork-sausage-rolls-515304011?ds_rl=1290893&ds_rl=1291426&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyMnCnp3h9wIVVevtCh3rlAmzEAQYAyABEgL52PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds