Gransnet forums

Food

Can you cook rhubarb with no sweetener?

(56 Posts)
25Avalon Sun 29-May-22 21:40:21

I add a tiny amount of unrefined sugar when I cook rhubarb with a little water in a saucepan. Dh insists I should cook it with no added sugar or sweetener of any kind. I’ve told him it will be too tart and take the roof off his mouth! Still he insists. I know I wouldn’t be able to eat it. Maybe I’ll just do some without sugar just for him. (Pulls face). I’d be interested to know, however, if any one else has done this as we ‘argue’ about it.

Bijou Tue 31-May-22 23:10:31

When I had an excess of rhubarb I used to make rhubarb and ginger conserve.

FarNorth Tue 31-May-22 23:36:14

JackyB I never get the chance to do rhubarb crumble these days, which I would love, but wouldn't make just for me.

That's a real shame . You should make some for yourself.
What about using a packet of ready-made crumble? You could get some sent from the UK, if it's not available where you are.

FarNorth Tue 31-May-22 23:48:44

25Avalon

Dh just said it was a bit bland when I dished it up!!!!

Did you tell him you'd given him his heart's desire ?

I do cook rhubarb without sugar or sweetener and I eat it mixed into plain yogurt or with overnight oats.
My teeth are still intact and my digestion is normal. smile

Maybe the red rhubarb would be less bland?

25Avalon Wed 01-Jun-22 08:28:23

No. I think he has ruined his taste buds swamping all savoury dishes in Worcestershire sauce and pepper! I don’t add extra seasoning so my taste buds notice strong tasting foods. I can’t eat very hot curry. I’ll try Temperley Early Rhubarb on him next.

aggie Wed 01-Jun-22 08:34:54

I am going to have to make myself a wee rhubarb crumble and custard after eating this thread , my mouth is watering now !