Gransnet forums

Food

Chicken stock from a carcass?

(42 Posts)
Witzend Sat 25-Jun-22 16:02:27

Out of interest, if you make this, how long do you simmer it for? I usually reckon about an hour and a half. And what do you add? I’ve just put one on, with a flabby, sad old carrot, celery, onion, parsley, black peppercorns and a bay leaf.

Anything I’m missing?

And does anyone make it in a slow cooker? I thought of that today - more economical fuel-wise? - but ours is in a very high cupboard plus too heavy for me to get down when up on kitchen steps, so I have to ask dh, but he’s away.

I’ve read of someone keeping one carcass in the freezer until they have another, so doing 2 together, but so far I’ve never remembered to wait!

Callistemon21 Sat 25-Jun-22 22:29:45

kittylester

I hesitate to say this but you can buy really good chicken stock. blush

???
We were talking about making stock and how long to simmer it for (as you do) and a younger man in the group looked at me, laughed, and said "they sell stock in Sainsbury's, Call"

M0nica Sat 25-Jun-22 22:47:18

But in these inflationary times, why buy something that can be made so easily at home.

ElaineI Sat 25-Jun-22 23:46:57

grannydarkhair

Really poor quality film of the pea and ham ad. It was one of the most popular ads ever shown in Scotland apparently.

youtu.be/jMnl7H6KVgY

Oh my word! I so remember that! Thanks grananydarkhair!

ElaineI Sat 25-Jun-22 23:48:14

grannydarkhair - sorry predictive text shock

AreWeThereYet Sun 26-Jun-22 13:38:48

Doodledog

I fill it to the max line, which is about 4 pints, I think.

Thank you Doodledog - just finished air frying the chicken so will try the pressure cooker this afternoon instead of the slow cooker. I'll use the slow cooker for the suet pudding instead.

Doodledog Sun 26-Jun-22 14:32:12

Sounds good. It's a shame it's soup and rice pudding weather in late June, but I'd be happy with both today grin.

Franbern Mon 27-Jun-22 10:53:42

This brought back memories of my childhood in London' s East End. My English Jewish mother always made chicken soup. Friday she would get the fowl, then she (and I helping) would pluck it, singing all the edges to get them out. Inside had to be cleaned thoroughly. Then chicken in very large pot and on gas cooker. Brought to boil and allowed to simmer, every so often skimming off any stuff rising to the top.

Left overnight to cool, chicken then broken up and put in oven alongside potatoes for roasting. The soup then had added to it grated carrot, salt and pepper and was served with a dollop of lockshen. (a sort of noodles), Often we would get egg yolks inside those chickens, and these were always given to me in my soup - an absolute treat.

Lockshen soup, the Jewish version of anti-biotics.

Doodledog Mon 27-Jun-22 11:16:48

That's really interesting, Franbern. When you say the chicken was broken up, do you mean jointed or chopped up, and was it mixed in with the potatoes, or cooked separately?

I'm intrigued by the egg yolks - there is something a bit strange about the thought of chicken and egg being cooked together.

Jane43 Mon 27-Jun-22 11:21:00

I also use our slow cooker, after a few hours every bit of meat cones away easily and the stock makes delicious soup.

Maggiemaybe Mon 27-Jun-22 11:47:14

DH (my personal chef) likes to make stock from scratch. I'm very appreciative and wouldn't dream of telling him that I much prefer the taste of Marigold bouillon.

Nor would I ever complain about the smelly, steamy kitchen and the amount of gas being used (I know which side my bread's buttered), but I see the way forward now. So thank you very much all those who've suggested using the slow cooker - I can't think why I've never thought of it!

Pantglas2 Mon 27-Jun-22 12:03:16

They actually sell raw chicken carcasses in Spain, obviously where the breast, wings and legs were sold separately.

I’ve quite often bought a couple for 50 cents each and made litres of soup/stock in the slow cooker, which really is so much tastier than anything you can buy.

Witzend Mon 27-Jun-22 12:04:18

MayBee70, I put the bones and bits in a (compostable) bag in the freezer, until the night before the bin men come - then it goes in the food waste bin. Ditto any other scraps of meat or fish, partly to avoid attracting flies, partly because of the thought of it all festering for days on end, especially in summer.

MayBee70 Mon 27-Jun-22 13:38:11

Witzend

*MayBee70*, I put the bones and bits in a (compostable) bag in the freezer, until the night before the bin men come - then it goes in the food waste bin. Ditto any other scraps of meat or fish, partly to avoid attracting flies, partly because of the thought of it all festering for days on end, especially in summer.

Thanks.I’ll do that in future.

merlotgran Mon 27-Jun-22 13:59:56

Franbern

This brought back memories of my childhood in London' s East End. My English Jewish mother always made chicken soup. Friday she would get the fowl, then she (and I helping) would pluck it, singing all the edges to get them out. Inside had to be cleaned thoroughly. Then chicken in very large pot and on gas cooker. Brought to boil and allowed to simmer, every so often skimming off any stuff rising to the top.

Left overnight to cool, chicken then broken up and put in oven alongside potatoes for roasting. The soup then had added to it grated carrot, salt and pepper and was served with a dollop of lockshen. (a sort of noodles), Often we would get egg yolks inside those chickens, and these were always given to me in my soup - an absolute treat.

Lockshen soup, the Jewish version of anti-biotics.

Your post has reminded me of a TV chef, I think it was Nigel Slater, visiting a Jewish grandmother who apparently made the best chicken soup ever!

She used a large stock pot to simmer the bird along with carrots, onion, herbs etc,. Then NS turned towards the camera and whispered, in deep reverence, ‘Now she’s going to share her secret ingredient with us.’

With that she crumbled up about seven chicken stock cubes, gave it a quick stir and shoved the lid back on! ??

giulia Mon 27-Jun-22 16:22:31

Pantglas2

They actually sell raw chicken carcasses in Spain, obviously where the breast, wings and legs were sold separately.

I’ve quite often bought a couple for 50 cents each and made litres of soup/stock in the slow cooker, which really is so much tastier than anything you can buy.

Also here in Italy!

Witzend Tue 28-Jun-22 08:35:58

merlotgran, that made me laugh!

Talking of chicken stock cubes, I remember some TV chef - can’t remember which - recommending a beef and a chicken stock cube in any bolognaise-type sauce. I always do that now. My ‘proper’ chicken stock is reserved for soups.

Whoever mentioned rice pudding, what with dh away and me forgetting to cancel some of the milk - again! - I shall today be making yet another 2 pint job to scoff all by myself. ?