Gransnet forums

Food

Still on the subject of not cooking do you ever have a take away ?

(144 Posts)
Floradora9 Sun 24-Jul-22 11:20:32

We just never have and probably never will as I worry about the quality of the food and the salt and sugar in the meals and grudge the prices charged . I see so many young couples on TV programmes about reducing the cost of food who have them several times a week . The only ones we ever had was 45 years ago when we lived in the north of Scotland and a lovely Indian man made curries in his home and delivered them to be reheated. We used to order a mild and a medium and mix them but my DBIL lived with us for a while and he always had a hot one. The chap delivering them ( also the maker of the curries ) asked me one day who ate these hot curries. I told him and he replied that he wished he could eat them himself but they were too hot.

Zonne Sun 24-Jul-22 12:42:12

Not often these days, as there aren’t any near us, except a reasonable I Dian from who we get stuff once every couple of months.

Having more choice of both eat-in and takeaways is high on the list for when we move next.

Calendargirl Sun 24-Jul-22 12:42:30

A nice restaurant in town started doing takeaways in lockdown, we have had three from them, for our wedding anniversary and for our birthdays. The same food as you get in the restaurant but cheaper.

I much prefer to have it at home than go out.

Only time we have ever had a Chinese takeaway is when the family get one.

Not a fish and chips lover. Hate the batter. We have fish twice a week, but cooked by me, and no batter or chips.

On our local community page, many have takeaways several times a week, judging by the comments. No wonder folk are short of money.

eazybee Sun 24-Jul-22 12:46:18

Yes, on my birthday and those of my adult children and their partners if we don't go out for a meal or one of us hosts it.
Maximum, five times a year, (never happened yet.)
Otherwise, no.

MissAdventure Sun 24-Jul-22 12:46:39

I honestly only know one family that have takeaway several times a week, simply because it is a hot topic of conversation, being so unusual.

nanna8 Sun 24-Jul-22 13:01:49

We go out to restaurants quite a lot, about once a fortnight. We had takeaway delivery when they made us isolate for 6 months so we could pretend we were in a restaurant ! We get Thai takeaway now and then and fish and chips, probably about once a month.

SueDonim Sun 24-Jul-22 13:04:18

Is there any nutritional difference between a carry-out (takeaway) and a restaurant meal, I wonder?

We haven’t had food delivered because we lived in a rural area but we’d have fish and chips from a wonderful restaurant/carry out place. Very rarely, we’ll have an Indian carry out though we were disappointed at the last one we had.

Last week, with ten of us gathered together, we had fish and chips in a park in a river side setting. It was lovely to sit in the balmy evening sun and watch our GC enjoying their food and playing on the play equipment. And no washing up!

MissAdventure Sun 24-Jul-22 13:10:27

There is probably an "empty calories" pot that the takeaway food goes through.
A couple of big spoonfuls are added before stuff is wrappped up for delivery.

HousePlantQueen Sun 24-Jul-22 13:23:17

Not a fan of Chinese as it is often bland, not had an Indian takeaway for years, but we do get fish and chips about every 6 weeks or so. As a veggie, I don't eat things like burgers and kebabs anyway.

humptydumpty Sun 24-Jul-22 13:29:34

MissAdventure ??

kircubbin2000 Sun 24-Jul-22 13:31:58

Had fish and chips on Friday but it wasn't very nice as daughter drove to the wrong shop.

Spice101 Sun 24-Jul-22 13:33:40

Friday night is takeaway night in our house, has been for years.

Daddima Sun 24-Jul-22 13:37:38

I have a takeaway whenever I feel like it, as we have excellent Chinese, Indian, and chippy nearby who deliver. It’s by no means a very regular thing, but I have no guilt whatsover about doing it.
I don’t give a thought to additives, fat and salt content, or anything else, I just enjoy it.

Greenfinch Sun 24-Jul-22 13:42:28

Saturday night for us . We always go shopping on Saturday evening and pick one us on the way home. I cook for 5 all week so DH likes to give me an evening off.
I was amused while sitting with DGD during a lockdown remote learning lesson. The last lesson of the morning overran a bit when a voice piped up “Please Miss have we nearly finished? My takeaway has just arrived .’’ Signs of the times!

Pittcity Sun 24-Jul-22 13:44:00

Often. We love in a City centre and have a multitude to choose from. DH and I usually have a Chinese or Indian delivered once a month. We used to eat out but a takeaway is a cheaper alternative that we got used to during lockdown.
DS almost lives on fast food when he's home, everything from pizza, chicken, kebabs to desserts. Deliveroo is always on our doorstep.
We do love to cook but enjoy a night off.

MiniMoon Sun 24-Jul-22 13:44:15

For a small town (pop about 2000) we have 2 fish and chip shops, a very good Chinese takeaway, and two Indian takeaways one of which has a restaurant attached.
We have a Chinese takeaway maybe once a month as a treat and my DH buys chips on his way home from work occasionally.

Iam64 Sun 24-Jul-22 13:44:22

Last night, We picked up a take away from the excellent South Indian restaurant near our house.
I never get Chinese takeaway.
Fish n chips from the best chippy ever once or twice a month. Live dangerously ?

foxie48 Sun 24-Jul-22 13:48:40

No but our new supermarket sells ready meals made by a company called "Cook" and they are really excellent so we're having one of those when I feel like a break from cooking. I've been out recently to what were our favourite places to eat out and had poor meals at every single one, so for the time being I'm happy to eat in!

LOUISA1523 Sun 24-Jul-22 13:53:15

Very rarely...its just as cheap to eat put...which we do every Friday or Saturday

Teacheranne Sun 24-Jul-22 14:06:21

I don’t order a takeaway as I live on my own and most seem to have a minimum charge or else add on a large delivery price, doesn’t seem worth it. But if I have someone visiting, then sometimes we order one, especially for my sister who lives in a remote part of the US with no takeaways!

Very occasionally I do go to a fish and chip shop or a Chinese if I don’t feel like cooking as I can then choose just one dish or a small portion.

I enjoy eating out though and am a member of a few dining clubs so tend to go to a restaurant or pub most weeks which I prefer, my food always tastes better with company than on my own!

kittylester Sun 24-Jul-22 14:10:10

Being gluten intolerant makes take aways a bit difficult but one a fortnight we have a posh burger van that comes to the village so we usually have one of those and there is gf chippy a couple of villages away. We also have a Turkish restaurant in the village which does gf kebabs.

None of those takeaways contain anything that I wouldn't use at home so they are not doing us any harm and I get to sit down!

Doodledog Sun 24-Jul-22 14:23:11

Daddima

I have a takeaway whenever I feel like it, as we have excellent Chinese, Indian, and chippy nearby who deliver. It’s by no means a very regular thing, but I have no guilt whatsover about doing it.
I don’t give a thought to additives, fat and salt content, or anything else, I just enjoy it.

Exactly this.

What additives do people think are in takeaways that wouldn't be in restaurant meals or supermarket versions?

We both like curry, Chinese and Greek food, and home made just don't taste the same as the restaurant ones we get delivered. My husband is vegetarian and I'm not, so takeaway is an opportunity to order separate meals - I usually go for chicken and he gets a vegetable option.

I cook from scratch a lot, and never buy ready meals to heat up at home, but will happily have a takeaway if I fancy one and don't want to eat out.

FlexibleFriend Sun 24-Jul-22 15:02:47

I've never had a ready meal but have a takeaway about once a fortnight. Could be Indian, Chinese or Burger, not keen on any of the local chippies soggy batter and under cooked chips. I also cook from scratch most days but I like and enjoy the odd takeaway.

62Granny Sun 24-Jul-22 15:08:40

We used to have a Chinese very occasionally but I then started to find the sauces too sweet , we have a nice Thai takeaway that we enjoy again very occasionally. During lockdown a young couple started a catering company in our area and they do Mediterranean style tapas which we have had quite a few times also do an "At home dining" type of meal you set a budget they send you a menu then they cook your meal and deliver already plated up, it has been fabulous and we have enjoyed every meal we have had. This obviously takes a bit more planning but is great if you want to celebrate a birthday or anniversary especially as my husband is in a wheelchair and some restaurants are not always that accessible so we end up going to the same one all every time . The BIG thing in this area is Sunday lunch delivery but tbh I would rather cook my own and never enjoy it cooked by others even in a restaurant.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 24-Jul-22 15:18:52

One of our favourite local pub restaurants started doing take takeaways during the first lockdown. So every few weeks we would drive to the pub (10 minutes) collect a delicious roast dinner and it would still be hot when we got home. I would make the pudding. Apart from Sunday lunches we also had a takeaway Anniversary dinner. Now things are back to normal (are they) they are still doing takeaways!

Cabbie21 Sun 24-Jul-22 15:31:53

We used to have fish and chips and Chinese take aways from time to time before lockdown, but we rarely do now, although our small town has a number of various sorts of takeaways. The last few had were too big, too salty or too much batter, generally unhealthy.
On holiday recently, instead of cooking, we bought some ready meal take always from the supermarket and they were actually very good, smaller portions and quite healthy. I am fed up with.cooking so I am going to try some locally.