Gransnet forums

Food

Do you still cook a Sunday roast?

(176 Posts)
MrsPickle Sun 25-Sep-22 18:07:48

As the nights draw in and thoughts turn away from bbq and salads, hub requested a Sunday roast.
Eagerly, I acquiesced, nothing nicer!
However, now I'm in my 70s, the execution is far more arduous than I ever remember!
Pork with crackling, roasties, roast 'snips, steamed cauli, home made stuffing -and now he's requested apple sauce, as 'we have loads of Bramleys'.

Yes, we'll have left overs for later in the week, but thinking that this may be the start of easier roasts in future.
Any tips/hints please?

MiniMoon Mon 26-Sep-22 00:25:32

I cooked a roast chicken, roast potatoes, carrots and sweet potatoes and served them with peas and cauliflower. I made gravy with the chicken juices.
We don't always have a Sunday roast these days .

Whitewavemark2 Mon 26-Sep-22 06:24:17

I think a roast dinner is a doddle compared to some meals. Prepare veg - bung meat into roasting tin -
Wait for an hour - par boil potatoes, bung into roasting tin. Wait another half hour put veg on to cook, take meat out to rest. Brown spuds, take out make gravy in roasting pan - job done! Probably taken up to no more than half an hour of my time. Other meals I’m phaffing around with sauces, and chopping and browning etc.

DH washes up.

grandMattie Mon 26-Sep-22 06:46:31

I agree, WWm2.
Now on my own, I barely cook at all, let alone the delights of roast chicken…

Whitewavemark2 Mon 26-Sep-22 07:00:56

grandMattie

I agree, WWm2.

I think if I am left on my own I’d be exactly the same GM.

I have a love/hate relationship with the kitchen?. Love delicious food/ hate the phaffing around.

Cfaz49 Mon 26-Sep-22 07:16:30

Icelands frozen honey roast parsnips are lovely and so much easier and consistent!

Witzend Mon 26-Sep-22 07:43:02

Even when I was a child, we hardly ever had the usual Sunday roast at lunchtime - nearly always early evening, and I still do that when we have one. Takes up too much of the middle of the day otherwise, and personally I just want to go to sleep after a big lunch.

grandMattie Mon 26-Sep-22 07:48:55

Whitewavemark2

grandMattie

I agree, WWm2.

I think if I am left on my own I’d be exactly the same GM.

I have a love/hate relationship with the kitchen?. Love delicious food/ hate the phaffing around.

I used to love cooking, enjoying conjuring up delicious meals. DH was always very flattering.
Now, food is stuff I put in my mouth. I do make sure I eat the right things, but there is no pleasure any more.

glammanana Mon 26-Sep-22 08:03:54

I enjoy doing a roast every week for myself its just so easy to do I do a plate for my elderly next door neighbour which he looks forword to every Sunday.
I will make up three meals and freeze one for myself to have during the week any veg left over goes into soup for Monday's lunch so no waste in this house.

luluaugust Mon 26-Sep-22 09:45:40

A roast joint is a rare thing in our house now, however, I do all the veg and sauces etc with chops.

Auntieflo Mon 26-Sep-22 10:00:12

I made a rare Chicken Sunday roast yesterday, to have in the evening.
It was fine, but I can't do roast potatoes like our daughter. I'm sure her oven gets hotter than ours. I did cook the chicken in a roasting bag, and the yorkies were the last 2 in the freezer. Everything else was fresh.

Probably will not do it again for months as ghere are only the two of us and the left overs go on for ever.

Redhead56 Mon 26-Sep-22 10:14:02

I don’t cook a roast every week and haven’t for years maybe once a month if that really. Our daughter makes the most gorgeous Yorkshire's I can’t compete and I don’t try I make better roasties though.

Apricotdessert Mon 26-Sep-22 10:24:32

Love a roast and don't find it harder than many other meals, and worth any extra effort ?

M0nica Mon 26-Sep-22 10:39:08

If I cook a roast, it is done in the way it was done when I was a child, the frugal 40s/50s. Roast meat, roast potatoes and one veg, and a sauce mint/horseradish/ apple. Straight forward and simply.

The problem with roasts, to make it worth while you need a decent size roast, which either means eating it in various forms for the rest of the week, or freezing it an dusing it up in other dishes.

I will do a roast when family visit. I always think of a roast dinner as an easy time efficient meal. Peel and parboil the potatoes. Put the roast in the oven and go away and forget about it for couple of hours, an hour before the meal put the potatoes in. For me, in another tin and rolled in gosse fat. Then cook veg as with any other meal

I am not that keen on carveries because the quality of the meat served is so variable, I have had really poor quality meat in quite expensive venues and surprisingly good meat in more modest establishments. I also like meat well cooked and the lamb and beef is almost always served pink, or even red.

However I must confess that I am very much a casserole or stew person and I am more likely to serve a venison stew than roast beef.

LovelyLady Mon 26-Sep-22 11:54:32

No too expensive to cook a roast

Nannapat1 Mon 26-Sep-22 11:56:21

Not very often and will probably do even fewer this winter. It's cheaper to put the slower cooker on for a nice warming casserole!

pen50 Mon 26-Sep-22 11:56:46

DH's American DiL loves Sunday roasts - "like Thanksgiving every week!"

Cossy Mon 26-Sep-22 12:02:22

Only in the winter ! Sometimes not in a Sunday for lunch but one evening, along with slow cooker casseroles, curries and lots of other comforting cold weather foods like cottage and shepherds pie

JdotJ Mon 26-Sep-22 12:03:06

No, but would happily eat if someone else provided it smile

Nannan2 Mon 26-Sep-22 12:03:54

Had roast pork yesterday-(oven roasted) has anyone had any success with doing a roast in an air- fryer at all though?

Saggi Mon 26-Sep-22 12:03:55

Cooked one yesterday cos my son came to do a few jobs for me , and I cook him roast lamb …his favourite. He also took remainder of the half-leg home with him… as I’m not a great fan of lamb. So the answer is …yes , I still cook a Sunday roast if I have a guest. But never just got me.

Saggi Mon 26-Sep-22 12:04:28

‘for me’

Fernhillnana Mon 26-Sep-22 12:08:37

Don’t you all find it incredibly boring?

Nannashirlz Mon 26-Sep-22 12:10:02

Yes I do homemade yorkie but veg is frozen whatever comes ready made I will buy normal cheaper and I buy my meat normally from Donald Russell buy in bulk and get it delivered or my local butcher and he deliverer it tends to work out cheaper than supermarkets

Spec1alk Mon 26-Sep-22 12:11:27

I loved making roast dinners in my previous house - I had an Aga.
Now not so keen!!

Helenlouise3 Mon 26-Sep-22 12:11:37

Huge fans of the Sunday roast here, unless we're out for a spin. Everything is made from scratch except the yorkies that are courtesy of Aunt Bessie. Any time we have bread left over we make crumbs and freeze them. Our two children rarely make it but often turn up here to share ours.