Gransnet forums

Food

Do you still cook a Sunday roast?

(176 Posts)
MrsPickle Sun 25-Sep-22 18:07:48

As the nights draw in and thoughts turn away from bbq and salads, hub requested a Sunday roast.
Eagerly, I acquiesced, nothing nicer!
However, now I'm in my 70s, the execution is far more arduous than I ever remember!
Pork with crackling, roasties, roast 'snips, steamed cauli, home made stuffing -and now he's requested apple sauce, as 'we have loads of Bramleys'.

Yes, we'll have left overs for later in the week, but thinking that this may be the start of easier roasts in future.
Any tips/hints please?

Grandmahigham Mon 26-Sep-22 15:33:38

I haven't done a proper roast in years,barring Christmas dinner. I can't be doing with all the phaff.We spend most Sundays at our allotment,weather permitting. Do occasionally cook a casserole in the slow cooker accompanied by roasties. Use frylite for the roasties.

Kartush Mon 26-Sep-22 15:35:48

No but my husband does, I haven't cooked in over 10 years, that's his domain now. He made the mistake of telling me that all the best cooks were men so I said Yes my love you are so right so off you go smile and hes been doing it ever since.

Cagsy Mon 26-Sep-22 15:42:21

Made the first of this autumn/winter yesterday as it suddenly turned very chilly. Roast chicken, roasties, lots of veg and gravy made from the chicken juices, frozen Yorkies though. Also almost always buy desserts, love cooking but I'm not a baker. Kids and grandkids come round every other weekend or so and they all love a roast, in lockdown they did me a card and wrote, we miss you and we really miss your roasts smile

Kim19 Mon 26-Sep-22 15:43:26

Purposely never got into the habit. We went straight to the pub/eatery from church and let the professionals take the strain. Very pleased with that arrangement.

Nansypansy Mon 26-Sep-22 16:04:28

I do cook a Sunday roast …. Even if I am on my own …. When my friend and I found ourselves on our own a few years ago, we took it in turns to do the roast …. One week at hers, one week at mine. It gave us something to focus on. I do occasionally get invited to my daughters when she often does a Sunday roast.

kittylester Mon 26-Sep-22 16:15:03

I love autumn and winter Sundays when we have a late lunch and flop in front of the tv or with the papers and fall asleep! It doesn't happen often so, when it does, it's fab.

BlueBalou Mon 26-Sep-22 16:15:03

Definitely not every week, only if I can be bothered. DH won’t cook so he can’t complain ?
I’d be happy with a bitsa meal of anything in the fridge or even cheese and biscuits or a salad.

Farzanah Mon 26-Sep-22 16:17:02

Since childhood have never been a fan of Sunday roast, especially slathered with horrid Bisto gravy. I have memories of a steamed up kitchen with water running down the walls. Never got into the habit of cooking one myself, although OH would dearly love it. What’s wrong with salad ?

kevincharley Mon 26-Sep-22 16:18:42

Lancashire Hotpot, with beef? Granmarderby10.
You'll be giving all us Lancastrians attacks of appoplexy! That's just a beef hotpot, leave Lancashire out of it!

Treetops05 Mon 26-Sep-22 16:20:36

We do, we share a home with my FinL who is 92 and very traditional. We go Beef, pork, lamb then chicken...then start again. About 9 years ago we did a BBQ, and did roasted fish instead - he loved the fish but still complains about 'that time we didn't stick to the rota'. confused

Greciangirl Mon 26-Sep-22 16:33:34

Not worth cooking a roast for one., so it’s usually a chicken breast for me and aunt Bessie’s goose fat potatoes. They are, incidentally very tasty..All veg is steamed.

I love a proper roast if someone else is cooking it or the pub roasts.

Missingmoominmama Mon 26-Sep-22 16:45:38

The pub on the High Street does really good roast dinners, and we go most weeks. I see it as my reward, now the kids have all left, for all the roasts I’ve cooked in the past. It’s my new favourite tradition.

Bijou Mon 26-Sep-22 16:52:06

I used to love a roast dinner but since I have had mobility problems have been unable to cook one.
I ordered a roast beef ready meal from on line supermarket but it was a puzzle to find the meat under the carrots and peas!

Supergran1946 Mon 26-Sep-22 17:11:11

No, no, no. I hate roast dinners (so does my other half). As a child, Sunday meant roasts - I didn’t enjoy them then either, so when we married, 54 years ago, we vowed “No more Sunday roasts”. We have kept our promise !!!!!!

pascal30 Mon 26-Sep-22 17:15:43

glammanana

I enjoy doing a roast every week for myself its just so easy to do I do a plate for my elderly next door neighbour which he looks forword to every Sunday.
I will make up three meals and freeze one for myself to have during the week any veg left over goes into soup for Monday's lunch so no waste in this house.

that is so lovely...

Musicgirl Mon 26-Sep-22 17:29:24

I do as there are normally at least four of us and it is easy to put the chicken or joint (rarely a joint these days as it’s so expensive) in the oven before church. I admit to generally using ready-prepared roast potatoes and vegetables as they save time and taste just as good as if I had done them myself.

2mason16 Mon 26-Sep-22 18:01:15

Maybe once a month for the two of us. I'm up early every day, so a lot of meals in the slow cooker. Then we can go somewhere nice for the day and get home to a nice hot meal.

dirgni Mon 26-Sep-22 18:28:02

Sunday roast and pudding every week! Love it!!!

albertina Mon 26-Sep-22 18:42:28

I don't, but my elder daughter does. I am the sous chef if needed, otherwise I go and do some of her mountain of ironing before we eat.

I love it. She is a brilliant cook. I would like to say she learned everything she knows from me, but it would be a lie. She and her husband have taken on two extra teenagers on a permanent basis and it's easy to see how much they appreciate this wonderful meal every Sunday.

NoddingGanGan Mon 26-Sep-22 19:05:00

We have a lovely farm shop near us with a cafe that does Sunday roast for £13.95 a head. By the time you've paid for the meat and trimmings and run the oven to cook it you've about paid that anyway. For sure there's no leftovers, but no washing up either!

Nan0 Mon 26-Sep-22 19:10:48

Put cored bramley apples in their skins with roast if doing pork, saves separate faffing with apple sauce...

Grandmama Mon 26-Sep-22 19:22:19

Every Sunday, right through the year.
1st course: Yorkshire pudding (cooked in a large tin and cut up, not individual ones) with onion gravy made from the meat juices
2nd course: beef, roast potatoes, veg
3rd course: a cheat - Waitrose almond croissants but the ice-cream is home made.

There's usually just the two of us but sometimes family roll up. Any joint left over is frozen and re-cooked the following Sunday.

Flakesdayout Mon 26-Sep-22 19:47:05

OH cooks a roast every Sunday but not in Summer. Sunday then becomes my day off. We will have a largish joint and freeze portions once cooked for another time. Chicken will be made into a curry or chicken pasta bake the next day. Stuffing is Paxo or ready made (at Christmas) , Mint, Apple, or other sauce is out of a jar. Have just invested in an air fryer oven so that may become a two man job on a Sunday!

CanadianGran Mon 26-Sep-22 21:06:18

We do a roast chicken usually on Sundays. Mashed or boiled potatoes, veg usually microwaved. Easy peasy.

I just make a tiny bit of gravy, then the rest is used as a supplement for the dog during the week. She loves a tiny bit of gravy on her crunchy food.

When we were children Sunday dinner was at noon, after church, but mine is always at around 6:00

I can't remember the last time I roasted beef or pork.

Serendipity22 Mon 26-Sep-22 21:06:47

Nan0

Put cored bramley apples in their skins with roast if doing pork, saves separate faffing with apple sauce...

Oooooooo that sounds nice.

Might try that when I do pork .... mmmmmm.

?