Gransnet forums

Food

Have you sorted any Xmas leftovers?

(55 Posts)
Notagranyet1234 Mon 26-Dec-22 13:13:45

We didn't have Turkey I did leg of lamb and roast brined pork. Leftover pork is for hot pork sandwiches. Tonight Lamb curry and casserole. My degree contained food hygiene so I am happy safely reheating meat, I know friends who don't and just have cold cuts for the next few days.

Sago Mon 26-Dec-22 13:13:19

Beautiful turkey stock made in the instant pot, it has now made 10 portions of potato and leek soup.
Half the gammon was frozen as our Xmas eve guests couldn’t come.
The remaining ham will go in to a turkey, ham and leek pie.

I called my neighbour this morning to see if she was going to use her turkey carcass for stock….I was too late it had all been binned, what sacrilege!

We waste nothing.

Grandmabatty Mon 26-Dec-22 13:10:09

I've just had a lovely leftovers lunch of gammon, brie, sourdough bread, pickled onions, olives and cranberry relish. I'll have a second Christmas dinner tonight from the leftovers from yesterday and a piece of cheesecake. I love Boxing Day!

Witzend Mon 26-Dec-22 13:06:22

Turkey will have to wait a couple more days. Whole one for just me and dh, but dd1 and family are descending tomorrow and will help to demolish it. Whatever’s left will go in meal sized packets in the freezer - carcass and last bits for stock and turkey stew.
We haven’t even started on the gammon, but that will be remedied tomorrow.
I made loads of proper gravy yesterday - tempted to warm up some turkey in it for dinner tonight - also have sundry veg left over.
Waste not want not!

Riverwalk Mon 26-Dec-22 12:56:36

I cooked a lovely M&S turkey crown and a small ham so not too much leftover, but I've been ruthless and all is now safely sliced into portions and in the freezer. No messing around!

Last night I resolved never to eat again but of course by midday my appetite had returned so I had a turkey & mayo sandwich, and tonight will have ham & eggs, then will not took at turkey or ham for at least a week smile