Gransnet forums

Food

Do you think you eat well ?

(87 Posts)
Floradora9 Wed 15-Feb-23 16:47:07

I was thinking about our diet and I think it is pretty good. Breakfast and lunch are light meals , lunch usually home made soup , and our mail meal is usually home made including fish once or twice a week chicken , beef and the odd veggie meal . I must admit I quite enjoy cooking so it is no hardship but I feel sorry for anyone who does not enjoy it . I do envy those of us whose husbands take over the roll of cooking . I am usually only cooking for 2 but family meals from time to time and more lavish affairs. We never have a take aways and eat out only now and again .

HeavenLeigh Sun 19-Feb-23 14:43:13

Yes I eat well, plenty of fruit and veg lots of fish, white meat. But…… it’s the choc that gets me everytime 🙄 non smoker non drinker. Doesn’t seem to stop my health probs though, lots of walking ! Getting the weight off nicely so that’s a bonus

AreWeThereYet Sun 19-Feb-23 14:43:26

I'm a nutritionist so yes, we have always eaten quite well. Sugar is a no-no is this house most of the time, and always has been, so few cakes or biscuits or sweets. In fact we're now very low carb, and only eat two good meals a day. Lots of coloured veg and a little fruit. Very little alcohol and no spirits at all. We both love our food so we make sure whatever we make is tasty and good quality.

Gundy Sun 19-Feb-23 14:50:50

Yes, I feel I do. Only two major meals a day. Breakfast - which varies between 7am to 11am, and my dinner - which varies between 2pm to 4pm. Later into the evening is fruit or nuts or a cheese snack.

I never go to bed on a full stomach. I eat and enjoy most everything and love to cook and bake. I consume everything with moderation - including moderation!
Cheers!
USA Gundy

NanaPlenty Sun 19-Feb-23 15:09:49

Well I feel I’ve gone a bit haywire since lockdown. Got fed up of deciding what to have and it’s sort of run on. Eat
A good healthy breakfast muesli or fruit/yoghurt. Lunch tends to be a roll or sandwich or jacket…..too much cheese . Dinner meat or chicken with vegetables and potatoes. I do know it’s the veg we need to increase and have every intention but don’t always get there. Recent blood tests show low D which I know is nothing unusual during the winter but my cholesterol is a bit too high and sugars so I need to really make more effort. Started using a tracker and it sure is an eye opener!

madeleine45 Sun 19-Feb-23 16:20:53

My diet is rather affected by my health. In general I cook from scratch, but when my back is very painful I cannot stand or sit for a long time and have to keep swapping jobs and sitting down as and when I can. I became diabetic a couple of years ago and so have to allow for that , but only take tablets for it and try and have a reasonable diet and try and exercise more, but now mostly swimming as walking is getting harder for me. So I can also go in patches, so breakfast for a very long time can be cereal say weetabix with a very little sweetener on it and that gets me my calcium / milk level , as I dont eat cheese or drink milk on its own. when the weather is bad I make porridge for a warming breakfast which now you can do it in the microwave is great and I am not put off by the hassle of a porridge pan to clean. Lunch is home made sandwich or soup , poached egg on wholemeal toast and at the moment am loving comice pears for dessert. Hate the skin so peel it but they are so lovely and juicy you need to eat them at home they are very messy. Main meal will depend. I make up casseroles where I start with the same base of meat with onions celery carrots diced but then divide them into either bolognaise with lots of tomatoes etc, or might make curry, or just add good stock for a decent stew. Love a jacket potato and have brown rice and wholemeal or granary bread. So that is when I am having a reasonably good day and quite creative. On a bad day, I can be in pain and have no idea what I want so it is a case of open freezer door and see what I have put in, that I can fancy eating now. sometimes I cant even fancy eating any of that and just want comfort food. so the other day I couldnt care less about my diabetic diet etc and I had two tea cakes which I toasted and put a lot of butter on and had that with a decent cup of very good fresh coffee. Probably a very bad choice food wise but oh how cheering on a rotten day and it revived my spirits no end! Jacket potatoes tend to be a more reasonable comfort food as always have tins of tuna and so forth in Used to cook for all sorts of situation and am quite a competent cook but now living alone I cant be bothered to faff about with loads of ingredients that you cant get in a normal shop but have to hunt for! dont usually look at any cooking programmes these days and if I see them concocting some elaborate set up I just feel lifes too short to faff about.! Must be getting old!!

HazelEyes Sun 19-Feb-23 16:54:47

I have always had a reasonably healthy diet but having become ill last year with an infection, I now eat for my gut. A healthy gut simply means there are more good bacteria than harmful bacteria and plays a pivotal role in your overall health. I eat fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and whole grains for prebiotics (food for the bacteria) and fermented foods like yogurt and kefir for probiotics (good bacteria). Among the worst things for your gut are sugar, red meat and processed foods.

GrammarGrandma Sun 19-Feb-23 18:55:01

Yes. I'm a vegetarian, husband is an omnivore. We make our food from scratch. Like the OP I make a lot of soups, which we have at lunchtime. I've just made a large veg curry, which we'll have with the mushroom biryani husband has made. That will do us on Tuesday as well.

halfpint1 Sun 19-Feb-23 19:04:40

Eating well is often misunderstood. One friend 'eats well' but
never vegetables , another opens a tin of soup ...... and a third
'tries' to keep her drinking within the limits but life's too short.

Quichette Mon 20-Feb-23 01:44:48

We used to eat very well. I had cancer of the tongue 3 years ago and radiation therapy killed my sense of taste completely so that I can not even distinguish salt from sugar. Mr. Quichette now has Mantle Cell Lymphoma, a somewhat rare blood cancer, and lost several stone. I feed him whatever he wants to eat now. Fortunately he likes vegetables and salads. I drink blenderized drinks I make from yogurt, fruits or vegetables, and fill in with nutrition drinks recommended by the hospital dieticians. I also encourage Mr. Quichette to use these to fill in as sometimes he has no appetite. I am eating a very healthy diet with no meat, salt or sugar. I use whole milk yogurt but am still eating a low fat diet.

Hetty58 Mon 20-Feb-23 01:59:42

Floradora9, everyone has their own version of what eating 'well' means. For some, it's light meals, small quantities, for others, overindulging.

Surprisingly often, it's sticking to the same old limited favourite things, year in, year out. I worked with a chap who knew what was for dinner - by the day of the week. His wife liked routine. He'd say 'Oh no, it's Thursday, so chicken, mash and peas again!'

For me, eating well is vegan, organic, home grown, nutritious, additive free and very varied. Still, I have a sweet tooth and love indulging in all my favourite snacks too!

Sleepygran Tue 21-Feb-23 22:31:54

My goodness, everyone seems to be so good at healthy eating!
My dh eats very well, has a selection of home made(by me) soups,muesli,fresh fruits and yogurt, and a carb counter main meal.
I don’t like eating proper food, only eat it because I have to.main meal only most days,and then chocolate.

Wyllow3 Tue 21-Feb-23 22:44:29

Yes, I eat very well, biased towards a necessary diet IBS wise. I don't "cook properly" but the microwave is wonderful - it steams vegetables, poaches fish and chicken, and so on. Can't eat salads so focus on cooked veg. Take vit and mineral supplements.

CanadianGran Tue 21-Feb-23 22:55:54

I'd have to say we are 80% healthy eaters. Good scores for breakfast and lunch, and most dinners, but slip into snacks and convenience dinners sometimes.

For instance last night I had nachos with cheese and salsa for dinner. So probably too much salt and fat, but I did go skiing with the family, so had plenty of exercise! Tonight is planned for small steak to share, air-fryer chips and veg.

M0nica Wed 22-Feb-23 07:51:23

Most people on this thread because we are healthy eaters. Those who aren't or do not care aren't interested in threads like this.

Maggiemaybe Wed 22-Feb-23 08:34:29

I think we eat very well. DH is my chef since he retired, cooks from scratch nearly every day and uses plenty of veg and fish in our meals. We’ve an allotment, so we have lots of soups. We don’t eat much red meat, but no food is banned, and if we fancy a bacon sandwich, thick cheese on toast etc for lunch we’ll have it. We’ve had recipe boxes delivered since lockdown for a bit of variety, now down to only 2 meals every fortnight, but their ever-increasing prices might mean we stop them soon. We both love curries, and since discovering the Chef Akila range of healthy ones, don’t feel guilty about indulging. We rarely have puddings apart from fruit, which I love and eat a lot of, probably more than I should.

We’ve slipped into the habit of snacking in the late evening, but I’m hoping to break this by giving up eating after 7.30pm for Lent. Drinking will still be permitted. smile

Grantanow Thu 23-Feb-23 17:13:41

Yes I do but it costs quite a bit more thanks to Brexit, Johnson and the Tories.

NotSpaghetti Fri 24-Feb-23 12:35:00

You are probably right M0nica.

Unfortunately you can still have too much of a good thing and end up overweight like me!

Caleo Fri 24-Feb-23 13:03:09

My son bakes bread for me. I eat it with fried eggs or butter or peanut butter. I cook for three twice a week usually fish fingers and chips with green veg. I make a lot of ristafel with cheddar, and lentil soup.
Fruit bores me and I have to TRY to eat easy peelers. I eat too much ice cream.
I am healthy for my age, and thin enough.

ceejayjay Thu 02-Mar-23 06:31:43

I’m vegan so eat only plant based. I read it’s a very healthy diet and as I’ve never ate a healthier diet in my life I really believe it is

Liz46 Thu 02-Mar-23 06:44:30

A few years ago my cholesterol was a bit high and the GP sent me to the nurse for advice on diet. My BMI is normal but I found it difficult to appreciate the nurse's help because she was very obese.
I found my mind wandering as I tried to not look at her stomach!

M0nica Thu 02-Mar-23 07:32:51

ceejayjay haven't you seen all the articles and reports warning about how bad for you most of manufactured vegan foods are, the fake meat products and manufactured milks??

This is because it means that many vegan diets are high in UPFs (ultra processed foods) - esstentially anything in a supermarket that isn't a basic food stuff www.zurich.com/en/media/magazine/2021/its-veganuary-but-is-it-really-a-healthy-way-to-start-the-year

If you are cooking from scratch and everything you eat started as a basic fruit/veg/nut in your kitchen, plus you take the necessary supplements, you will indeed be eating a healthy diet. But if like many people, vegan and non-vegan, food and you are going round the ssupermarket buying packaged manufactured food, especially meat, milk and dairy substitutes, then your diet may not be as heaalthy as you think

Poppyred Thu 02-Mar-23 08:39:06

Yes, I do. DH no so much. I cook all our main meals from scratch but have to add white bread,biscuits,cakes and coke to grocery list for him. Have tried very hard to ‘educate’ him but he won’t be moved!

suninthewest Thu 02-Mar-23 08:51:53

I hate cooking and live alone but I try to eat well. I invite someone over once a week for food which makes me cook and then I will often use the slow cooker and do a vegetarian dish. For the rest of the week I use the hob, microwave and steamer. I eat a lot of good food that doesn't require cooking such as salad, tinned fish, raw veg and fresh fruit. Living alone for me the important thing is to eat at set times and turn off the TV, leave my phone in another room and sit down at the table nicely set with table cloth and sometimes a candle or flowers.

nanna8 Thu 02-Mar-23 08:52:19

We eat well. Probably a bit too much,though. I try to balance fruit, vegetables and meat. We are ‘supposed’ to have 5 veggies per day and we usually have 3 or 4 but sometimes 5. We don’t have soft drinks but then we do have wine - and chocolate. I never eat white bread and we limit cakes and biscuits but we do eat a fair bit of cheese and yoghurt.

suhalsutar Tue 14-Mar-23 13:14:44

It sounds like you have a healthy and balanced diet, with a focus on homemade meals and a variety of protein sources. It's great that you enjoy cooking and are able to prepare nutritious meals for yourself and your family.

It's true that not everyone enjoys cooking, but there are ways to make meal preparation more enjoyable, such as finding recipes that are easy and quick to make, or enlisting the help of family members or friends to cook together. And for those who truly don't enjoy cooking, there are plenty of healthy meal delivery options or meal kits that can make eating healthy more convenient.

Overall, it's important to prioritize healthy eating habits and find ways to make them sustainable and enjoyable for your lifestyle. It seems like you're on the right track!

soyabeanrate.in/