Gransnet forums

Food

Oh yes, we have no tomatoes !

(402 Posts)
Mazgg Sat 18-Feb-23 18:12:04

When I placed my online order last week I couldn't get any tomatoes. Today I visited my local supermarket which usually have a large selection of tomatoes only to find all the shelves bare. Staff were unable to offer an explanation. Have I missed something?

maddyone Sun 19-Feb-23 11:48:44

JaneJudge

There is a field near me which is full of rotting cauliflowers

What’s the matter with British workers that they won’t do these jobs when our Europeans were more than willing to?

JaneJudge Sun 19-Feb-23 11:49:51

I don't know maddyone. In the early summer there were adverts on our local facebook for asparagus pickers and the farmer was exasperated that no one was applying

Witzend Sun 19-Feb-23 11:58:22

Jaxjacky

We’re eating root vegetables and brassicas, mostly from the farm shop, any tomatoes are in tins.

Largely the same here - I’ve nearly always got carrots, swede, turnip and celeriac - nearly all cut and come again if kept in the fridge. I often add a lot of those - finely chopped - to a batch of semi veggie mince - as well as red lentils. I also make a lot of soups in winter, inc. a blended ‘root soup’.

And we both like sprouts and all varieties of cabbage.

HousePlantQueen Sun 19-Feb-23 15:24:38

As I understand, it is a combination of unseasonably cold weather in Spain during the growing season, plus the exhorbitant price of heating glasshouses here in UK, places like Thanet. I have now decided to grow tomatoes again this year, couldn't be bothered last summer, but shall get some started on hot windowsills.

Casdon Sun 19-Feb-23 15:27:15

maddyone

JaneJudge

What’s the matter with British workers that they won’t do these jobs when our Europeans were more than willing to?

There are now more jobs than workers, and for minimum wage jobs most would rather be working in comfort than picking vegetables. It’s cold, wet and backbreaking.

growstuff Sun 19-Feb-23 15:31:26

maddyone

JaneJudge

I guess it depends where the field is. How many unemployed people, who are fit enough to pick cauliflowers, are there in the area? How much is the employer paying? Is the site accessible for people who possibly don't have any transport? Do the prospective cauliflower pickers have childcare available, if needed? How will working for a couple of weeks affect entitlement to other benefits?

growstuff Sun 19-Feb-23 15:33:16

JaneJudge

I don't know maddyone. In the early summer there were adverts on our local facebook for asparagus pickers and the farmer was exasperated that no one was applying

How much was he paying? Is there a pool of people in your area just waiting for the opportunity for a few weeks' work?

JaneJudge Sun 19-Feb-23 15:52:56

It was £15 an hour and it was during the holidays. I think they thought it would appeal to students?

JaneJudge Sun 19-Feb-23 15:54:12

I’d have forced my son to apply but he had already got a delivery job for the summer

JaneJudge Sun 19-Feb-23 15:55:14

I suppose a solution might be that farmers work with universities to recruit people whilst they are away for the summer

tiredoldwoman Sun 19-Feb-23 16:10:40

No cucumbers in St.Andrews Morrisons this morning ! There was a sign up saying ' due to rain in Spain and Morocco we have no cucumbers '. Just when I was about to start my diet - yippee ! grin

HettyBetty Sun 19-Feb-23 16:35:05

No tomatoes in any of the five supermarkets I went to over the weekend. One had cucumber, one had yellow peppers but generally the salad shelves were very bare.

Fleurpepper Sun 19-Feb-23 16:39:49

So many jobs going in much 'nicer' industries- be it bars, hotels, restaurants, and so many more. GS is earning very good money as Pool Attendant- with great training offered.

Norah Sun 19-Feb-23 16:47:34

A partial solution, longer term - more sustainable farming, more hydro farming, more/ better storage of farm products.

growstuff Sun 19-Feb-23 16:57:12

JaneJudge

I suppose a solution might be that farmers work with universities to recruit people whilst they are away for the summer

Most farmers want workers to start earlier than the end of university. Not only that, but that depends on students' living near the farms or, at the very least, the provision of decent accommodation at a reasonable price. My children have always managed to find easier, better paid work than working in fields, which was vaguely related to their future careers.

Eastern European migrant workers were prepared to work for a few years in countries where they could earn more money than they could at home, before settling down in countries with a lower cost of living.

Some farms in Holland have even been offering sick leave and pension schemes, along with better pay.

growstuff Sun 19-Feb-23 16:59:19

JaneJudge

It was £15 an hour and it was during the holidays. I think they thought it would appeal to students?

Did they offer accommodation? Unless you live in an area with a high number of students, it's not surprising that few people applied.

JaneJudge Sun 19-Feb-23 17:24:51

I do take your comments on board growstuff, it’s all relevant

growstuff Sun 19-Feb-23 17:33:13

Thanks!

I just can't see a rush of people queuing up for seasonal, poorly paid, back breaking work in areas which might not have accommodation or transport.

Shelflife Sun 19-Feb-23 18:37:00

Very few tomatoes in Morrisons yesterday, same with eggs .

bevisp1 Mon 20-Feb-23 12:12:54

If this is the case, then this will answer why there was no tomatoes on my plate whilst eating out Saturday.. I thought they forget so when I asked, they didn’t have any…

semperfidelis Mon 20-Feb-23 12:31:31

No tomatoes in Morrisons. When I found some in a small Co-op, I bought extra and made a large batch of tomato and lentil soup and froze it. Delicious, and full of the necessary vitamins!

Bazza Mon 20-Feb-23 12:31:49

I haven’t been able to but celery hearts for months, no one seems to be able to tell me why. Egg supply a bit patchy but I’ve always been able to find some, not always the favoured Burfords though.

Twopence Mon 20-Feb-23 12:32:18

Went into Asda on Saturday and they had no tomatoes. Managed to get some from local shop. They'd come from Morocco.

lizzypopbottle Mon 20-Feb-23 12:32:58

I think there's a problem with tomatoes being hit by a nasty disease. I saw something about it in the paper just this weekend.
I've noticed a shortage of little gem lettuce and Granny Smith apples.

Sandynan Mon 20-Feb-23 12:33:32

It’s winter! Why are we buying tomatoes at this time of year! They don’t taste of anything, grown artificially in forced conditions using lots of water and slave labour in Spain and Morocco. . Why not eat winter veg at this time of year.. a crisp winter salad with pear, walnuts and cheese, We would rather wait in anticipation until the right season comes along for different fruit and veg and enjoy them at their best and most flavoursome.