Gransnet forums

Food

Basic Air Fryer Advise please

(29 Posts)
Kateykrunch Mon 27-Feb-23 10:56:29

I am picking up an Airfryer from Argos this afternoon and would really appreciate some, just basic advise please, for a non domestic Goddess who is of the pierce and ping (microwave cookery) school of meal prep. I will of course start with chips, roast potatoes and jacket potatoes. Any tips gratefully received. I am aware there are many threads on this topic, but just need a basic start. Thank you.

timetogo2016 Mon 27-Feb-23 11:05:27

Sausages,bacon,hash browns,chops,chicken breasts,chicken dippers ,pizza cook really well in an air fryer.
It`s trial and error to start with.
Once you get the hang of it,you will learn to enjoy it KateyKrunch,we couldn`t do without ours.

Theexwife Mon 27-Feb-23 11:09:28

Think of it as a small powerful oven, cooking time and temperature should be reduced by about 10%.

I find that things like pastry and cakes brown too quickly as the element is closer but a bit of foil sorts that out.

Chips, breaded items, roast potatoes and jacket potatoes are much nicer cooked in the air fryer. The only thing I haven't been able to do is Pizza because it doesn't fit.

Since having mine, about 4 months, I have put on 7lb as I used to just eat a sandwich or ready meal , now I cook and eat more.

Grantanow Mon 27-Feb-23 13:02:50

My air fryer seems to cook a bit more quickly than the electric oven - best to set the timer about 10% less and check occasionally. One soon gets the hang of it.

BlueBelle Mon 27-Feb-23 13:09:40

I have a very simple one, one pull out drawer, one temperature knob one timer
I m a real kitchen and cooking disliker BUT I ve made some lovely cheese scones as well as chips, jackets etc etc Even do my toast in it in the mornings

Hetty58 Mon 27-Feb-23 13:13:05

I'd microwave the jacket potatoes first - then just crisp them up in the fryer. Anything that you'd grill or oven bake will cook faster (and cheaper) in it.

ExDancer Mon 27-Feb-23 13:19:16

My Phillips air fryer cane without any instructions all all, apart from the extended warranty details.. This was sent by someone on here and is very useful.
apis.mail.yahoo.com/ws/v3/mailboxes/@.id==VjN-kHcmsgjc1njcyfSNPWofQ_akVMev6LXtmdPPQMp5tqlDWTcQ1eXpgcGoPuMCR3SO4OU5KQcZU02qmFwdnr-VYQ/messages/@.id==AKrL-OA6yGVVY5yy8gyO2JtOS6w/content/parts/@.id==2/thumbnail?appid=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

LadyGracie Mon 27-Feb-23 15:41:12

I've got a Ninja 2 drawer air fryer. I use it to cook steak, sausages, chops roast veg etc, but I'd much rather use my oven.

Kateykrunch Tue 28-Feb-23 13:51:26

Thanks so much for all your tips, its appreciated.

ExDancer Wed 01-Mar-23 09:36:55

Like ladyGracie I prefer my oven, or better still a mixture of combi microwave and slow cooker. My husband bought the air fryer as a (very nice) gift - but I never craved one. I use it because I think I should, but frankly find my old ways suited me better.

Farzanah Wed 01-Mar-23 09:51:23

I haven’t got one, and am tempted because they clearly save a lot of electricity compared to a main oven. I wonder why they are called air fryers when it seems no frying is done and that initially put me off as we don’t eat chips and fried meat?

I’m still debating whether it will be cost effective for me taking into account initial outlay, the amount of use I will get and the space it will take up. Are they just a thing of the moment?

GrammyGrammy Wed 01-Mar-23 09:59:46

'The only thing I haven't been able to do is Pizza because it doesn't fit.

Since having mine, about 4 months, I have put on 7lb '

Pizza does fit when a slice is cut to the size of the airfryer. This is plenty with salad and coleslaw. Smaller portions are the way to go.

dragonfly46 Wed 01-Mar-23 10:00:51

I have a Ninja but tend to use it to pressure cook and slow cook but not for much else.

LadyGracie Wed 01-Mar-23 10:06:31

ExDancer I too only use my air fryer because I think I should.
My microwave packed up a few months ago, I bought a Samsung Combination that does everything but sing and dance, I tend to use it more, but you can’t beat an oven baked cake or a roast.

Farzanah Wed 01-Mar-23 10:52:13

GrammyGrammy

Pizza does fit when a slice is cut to the size of the airfryer. This is plenty with salad and coleslaw. Smaller portions are the way to go.

7lb. That settles it. Am NOT getting one. Was prediabetic few years ago. Don’t want to go down that slippery slope again 😱

Charleygirl5 Wed 01-Mar-23 11:08:38

I have had my simple air fryer for around 16 months now, used my oven once during that time. I am sure the air fryer has paid for itself.

Last night I cooked duck legs in it, a bit of a squeeze but I managed. It would have taken 35 minutes in the oven and that is without heating time, but 17 minutes +5 minutes heating time in the air fryer. A no-brainer and so tasty. The vegetables I cooked on the hob.

Patsy70 Wed 01-Mar-23 11:09:57

We only have the one drawer basic one, which I bought at Lidl last week. Only cooked, pork chop, chicken breasts, sauté potatoes so far. Will cook a jacket potato later. Someone said they cook bread in it, using a basic recipe. If I did that it would be a strange shape, so I’ll continue using the bread maker.

Auntieflo Wed 01-Mar-23 13:26:43

We have a Tower air fryer, (in the background), and here is the cake that has just been baked.
It is a basic 7" fruit cake, cooked at 170° for 60 minutes. No pre- heating of the oven.

tanith Wed 01-Mar-23 15:30:17

I’ve just ordered a small Tower one I’ll be back to report when I’ve used it.

Sarah75 Wed 01-Mar-23 15:35:39

I have a small Tower one, it was very cheap - ?£50. Using the air fryer, the microwave and the slow cooker has helped keep our energy bills just about manageable. Almost never use the oven (gas) now, and try not to even use the hobs (veg in the microwave). The air fryer is easy to clean.

Greyduster Wed 01-Mar-23 15:36:51

I have one the same as Auntieflo. Very versatile - I wouldn’t be without it.

GrammyGrammy Wed 01-Mar-23 15:42:24

Farzanah

GrammyGrammy

7lb. That settles it. Am NOT getting one. Was prediabetic few years ago. Don’t want to go down that slippery slope again 😱

That was not me- it was the person I was replying to! Just cut a smaller portion and it is great. If you use the main oven you will cook more and eat more.

Grannynannywanny Fri 03-Mar-23 08:14:58

I love my air fryer and use it every day. I’m looking forward to receiving this book from my daughter. In meantime I’m going to try some of these chicken recipes when my grandchildren visit. There are lots of simple recipes on the author’s instagram. I often cook a plain chicken breast and it’s lovely but haven’t tried stuffing them. These recipes look tasty.

www.instagram.com/reel/CpQUoUTI-_5/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

dogsmother Fri 03-Mar-23 08:27:52

Use liners, they save a lot of time with cleaning. I like the paper/ parchment ones best but DO NOT put them in without food to keep them weighted down.

Pittcity Fri 03-Mar-23 08:54:55

We use ours for everything that will fit. I have small bowls, casserole dishes etc that fit nicely. I use foil as a liner. Anything that goes in the oven can be cooked in it.
I find it makes portion control easier as we can only fit enough for 2 in ours.