Gransnet forums

Food

Marmite

(68 Posts)
watermeadow Tue 02-May-23 08:00:51

I’ve eaten Marmite most of my life and remember the giant jar with fondness but I’m sure the consistency has changed.
It used to be a paste, similar to peanut butter. Now it’s sticky. Bring your knife out, laden for your toast and it’s like golden syrup, leaving viscous threads everywhere.
I’ve read comments that the taste has changed but nobody else seems to have noticed the stickiness. Am I imagining it?

Caramme Tue 02-May-23 08:33:36

You are right, it is very sticky these days and rips up whatever you are trying to spread it on, and leaves thick puddles which are not always pleasant to eat. I now dribble some into a ramekin and give it a brief blast in the microwave, a quick stir, and then it spreads easily and evenly. Love the stuff!

Aldom Tue 02-May-23 08:34:12

The jar of Marmite I have just finished seemed the same as ever. I will buy a new jar and come back to your thread once I've tested the contents for texture and taste. smile

ShazzaKanazza Tue 02-May-23 08:38:20

We have to use the stores own brand of yeast extract because of my coeliac disease so no allergens and it isn’t sticky like marmite. It tastes more or less the same maybe a little saltier. I like it. But I haven’t tasted actual marmite for years.

Sar53 Tue 02-May-23 08:39:40

I have started using Lidl's own brand of marmite. The taste is the same but it is slightly more runny and easier to spread. I'm sure it is probably cheaper too.

Redhead56 Tue 02-May-23 08:40:25

I love Marmite I always have but only ever have it on toast. If I go away I take a tiny pot of it away with me It’s always been the same to me. I have a Marmite soup mug egg cups and cook book I’m Marmite mad I would know if it changed.

FannyCornforth Tue 02-May-23 08:41:45

I’ve got some truffle marmite at the moment and it’s absolutely delicious.
Like Aldom, I haven’t noticed any change. I’ve been eating it since the 80s.

Something I’ve just remembered.
Did you know that if, with a teaspoon, you repeatedly hit a smear of marmite on a plate, it turns white?
It’s absolutely true!
It takes a while, but it does

NanaDana Tue 02-May-23 08:48:57

250g Marmite from Sainsburys, £3.35. 240g Grandessa Mighty Yeast Extract from ALDI, £1.89, tastes the same, and easier to spread. No contest.

ShazzaKanazza Tue 02-May-23 08:58:30

I use yeast extract in my beefy gravies. It goes in Chilli and bolognese too. If I’m having eggs and avocado on toast or beans on toast I spread with that instead of butter.

Davida1968 Tue 02-May-23 09:04:41

Marmite seems just the same to me!

Pittcity Tue 02-May-23 09:26:29

Sar53

I have started using Lidl's own brand of marmite. The taste is the same but it is slightly more runny and easier to spread. I'm sure it is probably cheaper too.

I might have to try the Lidl one as the real thing is getting so expensive. I love it!
DH likes Vegemite which I think is yuk.

Blossoming Tue 02-May-23 09:28:07

I haven’t noticed any change, but it’s usually Mr. B that makes my toast of a morning.

MrsKen33 Tue 02-May-23 09:38:22

DH has a whole draw of Marmites. Chilli, ordinary, truffle and his favourite peanut butter. We have a lot of toast in our house .

paddyann54 Tue 02-May-23 09:41:49

I've never had Marmite but I've eaten Vegemite for 3 decades or more .Its Ausralian, a vegetarian product and I use it a lot on toast and in beef gravies for a bit of body .Worth a try if your Marmite is failing you .

Callistemon21 Tue 02-May-23 09:53:24

FannyCornforth

I’ve got some truffle marmite at the moment and it’s absolutely delicious.
Like Aldom, I haven’t noticed any change. I’ve been eating it since the 80s.

Something I’ve just remembered.
Did you know that if, with a teaspoon, you repeatedly hit a smear of marmite on a plate, it turns white?
It’s absolutely true!
It takes a while, but it does

😂😂😂
That's the funniest thing I've heard so far today!!

I remember when they brought out a limited edition champagne Marmite, not sure if it's still available.

Callistemon21 Tue 02-May-23 09:55:25

paddyann54

I've never had Marmite but I've eaten Vegemite for 3 decades or more .Its Ausralian, a vegetarian product and I use it a lot on toast and in beef gravies for a bit of body .Worth a try if your Marmite is failing you .

I think Vegemite is fine to eat if you're coeliac, too.

Marmite isn't.

FannyCornforth Tue 02-May-23 10:12:22

Callistemon
The lad here has really quick results, it happens almost immediately. It must be because it’s the end of the jar and has oxygenated (or something 🤔)

youtu.be/VpE0E9GXTLQ

Callistemon21 Tue 02-May-23 10:21:33

I'm not telling DGS, he'll be practising on his mother's precious Marmite!

NotSpaghetti Tue 02-May-23 10:24:45

Vegemite in my opinion is lighter and more malty so quite a lot sweeter. It's also on the "grainy" side.
Not my thing at all.
I'm assuming this is paler and sweeter because more lager than beer is drunk in Australia? When Marmite made a "lager" version it was definitely lighter and paler too.

I would expect that the reason Marmite is different (arguably one batch to another) is that it's made from the left-over yeast from the brewery vats in the big brewery town Burton-on-Trent where it's based.

As our tastes change in beer I would expect Marmite to slowly morph. They can't logically keep it exactly the same if we are drinking less porter and dark ales and more lagers etc. Also, hoppy beers will have to be modulated by different vegetables in the stock or perhaps other tweaks to counteract the bitterness.

Just as a sourdough starter will also be constantly changing if your flour is different over time.

I'm sure Unilever is trying to keep the flavour the same though. The consistency may be down to less "reduction" and energy savings.

All this is only guessing really. But having read about the processes I think it's likely.

This is the only yeast extract paste I like other than Marmite - I keep both at home. It used to be marketed as Vitam-R and is very very different to all the others, - light, fresh and sweet... (but not in the Vegemite way!!).
Yummy.

www.essential-trading.coop/products/vitam-r-yeast-extract-s713p/#:~:text=Not%20all%20yeast%20extracts%20are,your%20vegan%20stocks%20and%20recipes.

NotSpaghetti Tue 02-May-23 10:25:33

Fanny - I think it's just incorporating loads of tiny bubbles. That's all.

M0nica Tue 02-May-23 10:27:46

paddyanne marmite is not only vegetarian but suitable for vegans. It is made from a by-product from brewing. There is no beef in my beer.

GagaJo Tue 02-May-23 10:28:11

Oh I adore Marmite! But the high salt content has forced me to very sadly give it up. 😭😭

midgey Tue 02-May-23 10:38:05

Totally agree with you Watermeadow, marmite is now quite difficult to spread. I thought at first it was an old pot but the new one is just the same….’stiffer’!

Blondiescot Tue 02-May-23 11:15:26

I absolutely love Marmite and have done ever since I was a toddler! I buy mine in the big tubs from Costco, and can't say I've noticed any change in the taste or consistency. Can't remember the last time I bought it in a jar though.

shysal Tue 02-May-23 11:17:22

I think they have made it runnier to use in the squeezy jars.