Gransnet forums

Food

Marmite

(69 Posts)
watermeadow Tue 02-May-23 08:00:51

I’ve eaten Marmite most of my life and remember the giant jar with fondness but I’m sure the consistency has changed.
It used to be a paste, similar to peanut butter. Now it’s sticky. Bring your knife out, laden for your toast and it’s like golden syrup, leaving viscous threads everywhere.
I’ve read comments that the taste has changed but nobody else seems to have noticed the stickiness. Am I imagining it?

Coco51 Thu 04-May-23 13:50:57

I remember as it being dark brown but with a clear appearance - now it is cloudy brown.
Maybe the modern version has been over processed with ingredients that are cheaper to manufacture.

Coco51 Thu 04-May-23 13:55:16

I have a cousin who lunches every day with marmite on a roll - she’s being eating it for years.

Wyllow3 Thu 04-May-23 13:56:26

Took some thought, but yes it is harder to spread.

Celia1475 Thu 04-May-23 15:29:59

Marmite is not the same as it was in the 70’s and before. It was much stronger and darker and a smearing on toast was enough. Now it’s milder and the consistency is softer needing to be spread more thickly (the jar does not last as long!) and so benefits the company financially I’m sure. Definitely not the same product it was back then but I still like it!

harrysgran Thu 04-May-23 15:39:04

I use aldi or lidl it is runny but tastes the same

Lookout01 Thu 04-May-23 15:42:15

I have Marmite on toast for breakfast and have noticed the consistency has changed, it's sticky and stringy as you pull it out of the jar and difficult to spread, ripping up the toast! I've eaten it all my life and it's definitely different now

Greenmeadow Thu 04-May-23 16:33:08

I think the consistency changed when they introduced the plastic squeezy marmites. I preferred the stiffer version.

Blondiescot Thu 04-May-23 16:37:09

I definitely don't find any difference in consistency in the big tubs.

Oldnproud Thu 04-May-23 16:40:15

DH commented only last night on the consistency of Marmite seeming different now. He said it has become a lot harder to spread across toast/bread.

Lexisgranny Thu 04-May-23 16:42:09

This sounds rather strange but I scoop out the Marmite with a spoon, then push it off the spoon with a knife, but spread it with the back of the spoon. It doesn’t tear up with bread/crisp bread that way. Well, it works for me!

Lizbethann55 Thu 04-May-23 17:07:56

My DD has just bought a jar of reduced salt marmite, but it doesn't taste much different to me. I put a dollop of it in allsorts of stews, meat sauces etc. Isn't it supposed to be umami or something?

I have also discovered peanut butter marmite. Now, that is definitely to die for. A jar and a spoon are all I need!!

Caleo Thu 04-May-23 17:12:45

Marmite gives me a bad conscience as ought to use it but I prefer Oxo cubes.

pascal30 Thu 04-May-23 17:21:05

I have a large jar and it seems the same to me

4allweknow Thu 04-May-23 17:21:30

ShazzaKanazza Will be trying your ideas.

SueDonim Thu 04-May-23 17:51:01

Witzend! 😂. Your name is probably on a list with Interpol or something. 👀 😉

icanhandthemback Thu 04-May-23 20:41:41

My husband has marmite spread thickly on toast with black pepper sprinkled on top. 🤢. I prefer mine more thinly spread and I thought it was just me who was having trouble spreading it these days! I've taken to putting the marmite on the toast and then putting the butter on!

NotSpaghetti Thu 04-May-23 21:33:01

I like Marmite and peanut butter (or almond butter sandwiches). I like them best with lots of rocket or watercress.
😋

mistymitts Sat 06-May-23 03:02:08

I think it was always this consistency but there was a time not long ago that it was a bit runnier. They seem to have gone back to the original recipe. At school, we got marmite now and then to spread on our bread but it was already mixed in with margarine and was a pale coffee colour. You could soften it by mixing it in with butter, the colour will change as you press oxygen into the yeast, it will become paler, but will be easier (less sticky)to spread.