Gransnet forums

Food

Cooking for the coronation

(37 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 05-May-23 11:05:26

Staunch Republican here, so I’m only making a quiche, Victoria sponge and coronation chicken 😄

Callistemon21 Fri 05-May-23 22:20:58

Whitewavemark2

Staunch Republican here, so I’m only making a quiche, Victoria sponge and coronation chicken 😄

I haven't made anything 😲
Should have made a quiche from a lovely recipe I saw on here (not a broad bean in sight) but I didn't.

What time is lunch, please?

cornergran Fri 05-May-23 22:51:39

No special preparation here. Mr C and I will watch on tv, have a light lunch and pasta for tea. Didn’t occur to me to do anything special. Oh dear,

MrsKen33 Sat 06-May-23 18:29:29

I was a bit dubious about the Coronation quiche, but did make one at DDs request. I was gratified at the complements and it tastes very good. Will make again .

Callistemon21 Sat 06-May-23 19:00:33

I've poached the chicken and made the Coronation sauce and tested it.

Think I should have added the curry powder bit by bit ...... 😲

foxie48 Sat 06-May-23 19:43:54

I haven't watched any of it but have been invited to a local tea party tomorrow afternoon so I have made a cake.

TillyTrotter Sat 06-May-23 20:01:13

That looks great foxie - is it sponge inside?

M0nica Mon 08-May-23 15:31:40

Friends of ours made the 'official' quiche and said it was very nice indeed.

Callistemon21 Mon 08-May-23 15:33:23

The coronation chicken seemed to go own a treat 🙂
No sultanas or almonds in the one I made, though

rubysong Mon 08-May-23 15:49:01

I got coronation chicken and trifle all ready for today's village hall picnic, then the fluey, sore throat and cough kicked in so I have been in bed all day. I shall get up soon and eat some of it.

foxie48 Mon 08-May-23 17:09:51

TillyTrotter

That looks great foxie - is it sponge inside?

Yes, bottom layer with lemon buttercream, crown had a layers of chocolate and coffee buttercream. I used homemade strawberry conserve as a glue, which worked really well. OH is the cake maker in our house so I was really worried about how it would turn out but it was absolutely delicious and was very pleased and relieved!

TillyTrotter Mon 08-May-23 19:44:49

It’s a masterpiece, well done.
We cheated and had a Krispy Kreme doughnut each with purple icing on top and a gold edible mini crown!