Gransnet forums

Food

Cherry clafoutis

(42 Posts)
Witzend Sun 21-May-23 11:05:52

Does anyone else love this? I first made it in France when there were masses of small red cherries* on BiL’s trees. Better with fat black ones, of course, but I’ve since made it with both tinned black cherries (well drained) and frozen ditto, which I found in Sainsbury’s.
Luscious fat black U.K. grown cherries are too good for cooking! And the season’s all too short.

*Too small to stone, so we had to teach ‘Tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor…’ to nieces visiting from Singapore!

growstuff Sun 21-May-23 18:52:48

I have a metal cherry stoner which really works. Last year was a bumper year for cherries and I bought a massive box of them for about a fiver, stoned them, ate loads and froze the rest. They lasted me for months.

Norah Sun 21-May-23 18:59:17

I prefer fresh and don't cook clafoutis in off season. Just me.

Vanillasky Sun 21-May-23 19:01:44

I've just fished out one of my old French recipes for clafoutis and it says you must leave the cherry stones in for more flavor. Apparently they contain the same active chemical found in almond extract and give a nutty taste.
I wouldn't think the eating is as enjoyable though.

Fleurpepper Sun 21-May-23 19:16:25

Why, you discretely spit outthe cherry stone in your hand and discard in small bowls left around. Peasant food is simple, very tasty, in season and local, and taste is everything- so yes, stones in.

Vanillasky Sun 21-May-23 19:28:10

My poor teeth if I hit one! 😃

Callistemon21 Sun 21-May-23 19:31:11

I've got a recipe in an old French recipe book but I've never made it.

kittylester Sun 21-May-23 19:47:50

I've made it with bottled morellos in kirsch one - it was fabulous but I have never found them again.

growstuff Sun 21-May-23 19:48:46

Sorry to be a non-peasant, but I prefer mine without stones. I prefer olives without stones too.

And I can't afford to be fussy about always eating fresh. If I see a bargain, I'll go for it. I always freeze surplus and find a use for it.

PS. I love clafoutis, although the sugar means I can rarely have it.

Callistemon21 Sun 21-May-23 19:49:19

kittylester

I've made it with bottled morellos in kirsch one - it was fabulous but I have never found them again.

I remember when you could buy those.
Last seen in TK Maxx one Christmas, I think, kittylester

Callistemon21 Sun 21-May-23 19:50:57

Callistemon21

kittylester

I remember when you could buy those.
Last seen in TK Maxx one Christmas, I think, kittylester

Waitrose or Tesco!

But not a very large jar

Foxygloves Sun 21-May-23 19:55:11

Fleurpepper

Why, you discretely spit outthe cherry stone in your hand and discard in small bowls left around. Peasant food is simple, very tasty, in season and local, and taste is everything- so yes, stones in.

Absolutely - one at a time. Not to spit them out separately would be very bad manners.

Vanillasky Sun 21-May-23 20:06:23

It seems the chemical in cherry stones I mentioned earlier is called amygdalin. But caution, when ingested, this chemical gets converted into toxic hydrogen cyanide in the body. You can experience symptoms such as difficulty breathing, headache, nausea, and even seizures. 🫢
I'm guessing you would need to eat quite a lot!

CanadianGran Sun 21-May-23 20:32:55

Not clafoutis, but my mother jarred cherries every year, and we would have them plain, or with custard or ice cream. She kept the stones in, and we would spit them back into our spoon and have a side dish for them.

I've never make clafoutis, but will give it a go when cherries arrive. It certainly looks like something I would enjoy!

Witzend Mon 22-May-23 09:14:08

When I first made it with big black cherries in France, thinking they should be stoned, we had a major hunt locally to find a cherry stoner. Having found one, though, and having an awful lot of cherries to stone (I was making 2 big ones for a lot of people) I was pleased to find that 2 of the blokes in the party were only too happy to play with this new toy and save me the bother!

Witzend Mon 22-May-23 09:16:53

Re the stones, when I was a child we had bowls with little rims where we put the stones, all ready in a nice neat row for ‘Tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor, rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief.’ 🙂

LRavenscroft Sat 27-May-23 13:40:58

Thank you very much for reminding me of this delicious dish. I made one today from the BBC Good Food Recipe using black cherries and kirsch and it was super delicious approved by all the family.