Gransnet forums

Food

Cherry clafoutis

(41 Posts)
Witzend Sun 21-May-23 11:05:52

Does anyone else love this? I first made it in France when there were masses of small red cherries* on BiL’s trees. Better with fat black ones, of course, but I’ve since made it with both tinned black cherries (well drained) and frozen ditto, which I found in Sainsbury’s.
Luscious fat black U.K. grown cherries are too good for cooking! And the season’s all too short.

*Too small to stone, so we had to teach ‘Tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor…’ to nieces visiting from Singapore!

Blondiescot Sun 21-May-23 11:09:52

Oooh yes please!

NotSpaghetti Sun 21-May-23 11:16:06

Yes. I've never called it that though when I've made it as it's a "bung it" pudding here (if I have a lot of cherries ever). Have made similar with other fruit (more often than not, plums).
Also nice with almonds and/or madeira if no kirsch or rum.
I'd have called it "cherry pudding" or similar. It would of course never be quite the same twice!

Grandmabatty Sun 21-May-23 11:17:27

My mum used to make this a few years ago. Sadly she's not able anymore. I absolutely love it.

Chocolatelovinggran Sun 21-May-23 11:20:43

Oh my - yes please. I hadn't thought of using tinned cherries, but it's a great idea.

Vanillasky Sun 21-May-23 11:23:30

Mmmm j'adore 🍒
You can do it with raspberries too.

Witzend Sun 21-May-23 11:27:31

Some recipes I’ve seen include kirsch, but personally I prefer it without- just cherries and batter.

Siope Sun 21-May-23 11:27:32

I love clafoutis. I make a rhubarb version too.

NotSpaghetti Sun 21-May-23 11:30:40

Oooh rhubarb grin

BlueBelle Sun 21-May-23 11:33:26

Never heard of it it sounds very posh

Witzend Sun 21-May-23 12:07:53

BlueBelle

Not posh at all, just a layer of cherries, with a simple batter mix on top, shove in the oven.

Redhead56 Sun 21-May-23 12:15:18

Matte Tebbits recipe with white chocolate sauce is delicious.

BlueBelle Sun 21-May-23 12:27:10

Never heard of cherries and batter mix either Witzend perhaps I m in the wrong part of the country is it prevalent somewhere ?
I ve not seen it on a menus or anything

MiniMoon Sun 21-May-23 12:29:08

I make it with blueberries. Cherry clafoutis is one of my favourite puddings.

Vanillasky Sun 21-May-23 12:31:08

It's from the Limousin area where cherries are grown in abundance. The batter is soggier than English batter.

Fleurpepper Sun 21-May-23 13:17:22

Love Clafoutis, my Godmother used to make it always when I visited. But I will only make it in season- when the black cherries are ripe and plentyful. For me, eating such things in season makes it so so special- and something to look forward to.

And no, not posh at all- simple peasant fare- where cherries abound. Can make it with soaked prunes too.

Vanillasky Sun 21-May-23 13:19:03

Can make it with soaked prunes too.
That sounds a bit like far. Have you made that?

Fleurpepper Sun 21-May-23 13:19:59

Yes, Far Breton- same thing.

Llamedos13 Sun 21-May-23 13:29:51

This is a new recipe to me, I just looked it up and plan to make it later today.It looks delicious

Vanillasky Sun 21-May-23 13:30:22

Fleurpepper

Yes, Far Breton- same thing.

With Armagnac.

Jaxjacky Sun 21-May-23 13:33:24

I too used to make it if France Witzend with fresh cherries, I find the frozen ones rather tasteless, but tinned work, as do blueberries. Rhubarb is a great idea Siope, I’ll try that, thanks

AreWeThereYet Sun 21-May-23 13:58:19

Love clafoutis but I've only ever made it with fresh fruit. I'll have to try some tinned or frozen.

Fleurpepper Sun 21-May-23 18:35:29

BlueBelle

Most famous foods from around the world, that may sound 'posh' elsewhere, are actually peasant food, using what is growing for more or less free locally.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 21-May-23 18:40:21

I think that it is better made with morellos tbh as tinned fruit lacks the flavour of fresh fruit.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 21-May-23 18:45:46

I made cherry clafoutis many years ago and it was delicious. The only downside is that I made a tremendous mess when preparing the cherries. I got lots of teeny, tiny half-moon shaped cherry-coloured spills on the kitchen tiles.

It took forever to clean them all off. When I thought I'd got the last of them another appeared. For weeks later I kept spotting them, "Oops, there's another!" I thought I'd never get rid of them. Needless to say, I only made them once but the evidence remained.