Gransnet forums

Food

Cherry clafoutis

(41 Posts)
Fleurpepper Sun 21-May-23 13:17:22

Love Clafoutis, my Godmother used to make it always when I visited. But I will only make it in season- when the black cherries are ripe and plentyful. For me, eating such things in season makes it so so special- and something to look forward to.

And no, not posh at all- simple peasant fare- where cherries abound. Can make it with soaked prunes too.

Vanillasky Sun 21-May-23 12:31:08

It's from the Limousin area where cherries are grown in abundance. The batter is soggier than English batter.

MiniMoon Sun 21-May-23 12:29:08

I make it with blueberries. Cherry clafoutis is one of my favourite puddings.

BlueBelle Sun 21-May-23 12:27:10

Never heard of cherries and batter mix either Witzend perhaps I m in the wrong part of the country is it prevalent somewhere ?
I ve not seen it on a menus or anything

Redhead56 Sun 21-May-23 12:15:18

Matte Tebbits recipe with white chocolate sauce is delicious.

Witzend Sun 21-May-23 12:07:53

BlueBelle

Never heard of it it sounds very posh

Not posh at all, just a layer of cherries, with a simple batter mix on top, shove in the oven.

BlueBelle Sun 21-May-23 11:33:26

Never heard of it it sounds very posh

NotSpaghetti Sun 21-May-23 11:30:40

Oooh rhubarb grin

Siope Sun 21-May-23 11:27:32

I love clafoutis. I make a rhubarb version too.

Witzend Sun 21-May-23 11:27:31

Some recipes I’ve seen include kirsch, but personally I prefer it without- just cherries and batter.

Vanillasky Sun 21-May-23 11:23:30

Mmmm j'adore 🍒
You can do it with raspberries too.

Chocolatelovinggran Sun 21-May-23 11:20:43

Oh my - yes please. I hadn't thought of using tinned cherries, but it's a great idea.

Grandmabatty Sun 21-May-23 11:17:27

My mum used to make this a few years ago. Sadly she's not able anymore. I absolutely love it.

NotSpaghetti Sun 21-May-23 11:16:06

Yes. I've never called it that though when I've made it as it's a "bung it" pudding here (if I have a lot of cherries ever). Have made similar with other fruit (more often than not, plums).
Also nice with almonds and/or madeira if no kirsch or rum.
I'd have called it "cherry pudding" or similar. It would of course never be quite the same twice!

Blondiescot Sun 21-May-23 11:09:52

Oooh yes please!

Witzend Sun 21-May-23 11:05:52

Does anyone else love this? I first made it in France when there were masses of small red cherries* on BiL’s trees. Better with fat black ones, of course, but I’ve since made it with both tinned black cherries (well drained) and frozen ditto, which I found in Sainsbury’s.
Luscious fat black U.K. grown cherries are too good for cooking! And the season’s all too short.

*Too small to stone, so we had to teach ‘Tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor…’ to nieces visiting from Singapore!