Gransnet forums

Food

Storing Veg

(36 Posts)
DollyD Sun 01-Oct-23 19:14:13

Today made a big pan of chunky veg and mixed bean soup.
As usual I have half of my vegetables left over: sweet potato, squash, aubergine and red pepper, celery and onions as well but they keep for ages.
I would normally cover the cut ends of these veg with foil but I often find even then they don’t keep very long in the bottom of the fridge.
Have you any better ideas?

Witzend Thu 05-Oct-23 14:55:51

I keep an old folded tea towel on the bottom of the veg/salad drawer, to absorb moisture, but always take just about everything out of its sweaty plastic or cellophane wrapping - I’m sure that’s crucial in stopping it going rotten.
Exception is bagged salad, but I rarely buy that anyway.

Georgesgran Thu 05-Oct-23 14:57:05

Yes, Alice the QVC bags are washable and I’m sure the Lakeland ones will be too.

Nannashirlz Thu 05-Oct-23 17:28:40

I’d been made redundant from a manager job but still had job but couldn’t start for 6 weeks same company lol I worked in a fruit and salad factory. The same vegetable and fruit go to different shops the very best looking went to your M&S etc and any that got dropped on the floor or didn’t look as good went to markets etc that’s the only difference between them but all come out same boxes or sacks. Also it lasts longer if it’s kept in dark space or cupboard and it’s cold. I only chop or peel what I need the rest I leave in fridge if you peel it all it won’t last unless you part cook freeze and use later also got those bags from qvc lol

4allweknow Thu 05-Oct-23 21:30:36

If I don't freeze leftover veg I stick tge ends in a plolybag and loosely stick a sheet of kitchen paper in the bag. This helps with the moisture problem. I do this with whole veg too, eg cauli, cabbage, carrots, peppers, kale.

DanniRae Fri 06-Oct-23 07:33:39

I buy bags of carrots and have found that if I cut the bag open and store in the fridge the carrots will remain ok for ages. I have tried so many other remedies without success and this method is the best - and so easy!
I would also like to say that I think the resultant attack on the Gransnetter who mentioned M&S veg was totally out of order angry

Callistemon21 Fri 06-Oct-23 10:51:29

yvonnebrown29

Blimey I didn't expect such an attack on mentioning M&S!!
As it happens I usually buy from Aldi !! and just for once since my local shop is actually M&S I had got some carrots from there, my comment was actually meant to be bit of a joke. Especially as I mainly get carrots for our hampster & dog!!

Well!!

I go to M&S sometimes too 😃
It just happens to be nearest and handy and sometimes I even buy a ready meal 😲

I also go to Lidl, Tesco, Morrisons, Waitrose, anywhere we might happen to be.
I'm a floating shopper.

Callistemon21 Fri 06-Oct-23 10:53:08

I line the veg drawers in the fridge with either kitchen roll or JCloth.

Witzend Fri 06-Oct-23 11:04:23

DanniRae

I buy bags of carrots and have found that if I cut the bag open and store in the fridge the carrots will remain ok for ages. I have tried so many other remedies without success and this method is the best - and so easy!
I would also like to say that I think the resultant attack on the Gransnetter who mentioned M&S veg was totally out of order angry

I agree. Since when is it ‘pretentious’ to say you buy anything at M&S? Says more about the poster than anything else.

I might add that M&S baked beans are a lot cheaper than Heinz and very good!

Albangirl14 Fri 06-Oct-23 19:23:38

Yes you can wash and re use the green bags from Lakeland. They used to come in a handy bag but now in a cardboard envelope that falls to pieces once opened.

Susie42 Sat 07-Oct-23 14:10:24

I use the green bags from Lakeland and I also have a Tupperware box that keeps vegs fairly fresh.