Gransnet forums

Food

What is for brunch or lunch ?

(287 Posts)
Frenchgalinspain Tue 28-Nov-23 12:48:41

28 / 11. Tuesday.

Sometimes, my husband and I enjoy having brunch during the week at home instead of a typical Menu del Día as we live in The Madrid Capital.
Eggs Benedict is quite versatile and can be prepared with either Smoked Salmon or Bacon or Ham. Eggs Florentine is quite a healthy alternative and French toast is always quite endearing.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 28-Nov-23 13:20:29

Are you writing a cookery book?

pascal30 Tue 28-Nov-23 13:22:52

yesterday I made spanakopita.. filo pastry round spinach, feta, pepper and grated nutmeg.. butter the pastry,sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake til crisp.. delicious meal in one

Grandmadinosaur Tue 28-Nov-23 13:26:30

I’ve just had a salmon fillet with spinach,avocado,asparagus,vine tomatoes and beetroot.

moggiek Tue 28-Nov-23 13:32:25

Really cold here, so homemade lentil soup and a slice of toast.

Callistemon21 Tue 28-Nov-23 15:01:49

Germanshepherdsmum

Are you writing a cookery book?

I wondered if it was a food blog?

Callistemon21 Tue 28-Nov-23 15:02:41

Cheese on toast with onion - DH made it as I was busy.

Sorry, I forgot the photograph.

M0nica Tue 28-Nov-23 15:07:00

We have the main meal of the day at lunch time: Lamb Rhogan Ghosh, Okra curry, Indian style courgette chutney, boiled rice, all home made, followed by a mince pie and ice cream, an indulgence because we are both down with this horrible cold, usually it would be stewed fruit.

kittylester Tue 28-Nov-23 15:08:23

Cauliflower cheese soup - it was delicious even though I say it myself.

Despite Miss Elkin's best efforts, my food is never so well presented as the OP's.

Can someone tell me what 'The Madrid Capital' is please. Sorry if I am being dim.

Callistemon21 Tue 28-Nov-23 15:08:49

Hope you feel better soon M0nica - at least you haven't lost your appetite so it's probably just a cold although they can make you feel miserable.

crazyH Tue 28-Nov-23 15:20:34

I’m afraid mine was not homemade. On my way back from shopping, I picked up a Zinger Rice Box from KFC. It has everything - Mexican rice, Zinger chicken pieces and a green salad with ranch dressing. 😋

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 28-Nov-23 15:26:51

I’m equally dim Kitty. I wondered but wasn’t brave enough to ask😁

dogsmother Tue 28-Nov-23 16:31:22

Fried egg toasted sandwich using mayo instead of butter. It’s a family go to and quite yummy when you need that special something.

pascal30 Tue 28-Nov-23 16:32:59

Germanshepherdsmum

I’m equally dim Kitty. I wondered but wasn’t brave enough to ask😁

maybe the answer is in the OP's name...

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 28-Nov-23 16:46:01

No idea.

Witzend Tue 28-Nov-23 16:48:00

I’ll settle for bagels with smoked salmon and cream cheese, thanks, and a pint of Buck’s Fizz.

Georgesgran Tue 28-Nov-23 17:19:18

It’s a cafe GSM and others.
Tables available to book on a ‘site called The Fork.

AreWeThereYet Tue 28-Nov-23 17:22:58

I love French Toast (aka Eggy Bread) but usually have it with bacon and maple syrup. Usually means once or twice a year 😁

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 28-Nov-23 17:32:48

I don’t get it Georgesgran. The OP says ‘we live in The Madrid Capital’. I can’t see a place of that name on Google.

MerylStreep Tue 28-Nov-23 17:36:02

kittylester

Cauliflower cheese soup - it was delicious even though I say it myself.

Despite Miss Elkin's best efforts, my food is never so well presented as the OP's.

Can someone tell me what 'The Madrid Capital' is please. Sorry if I am being dim.

They are professional photos.
I think the OP was trying to educate us by informing us that Madrid is a capital, who knew 🤷‍♀️

AreWeThereYet Tue 28-Nov-23 17:40:44

I wonder if she means that she lives in the Capitol building in Madrid - presumably where she gets her 'Menu of the day'. It's quite a famous building so she may be assuming others would know of it. I may be wrong.

V3ra Tue 28-Nov-23 17:41:38

"Madrid" is the name of a province of Spain, as well as the capital city.

Granniesunite Tue 28-Nov-23 17:42:40

Georgesgran

It’s a cafe GSM and others.
Tables available to book on a ‘site called The Fork.

Yes it’s a cafe!

Callistemon21 Tue 28-Nov-23 17:46:25

Despite Miss Elkin's best efforts, my food is never so well presented as the OP's

I really must try harder kittylester (and I bet Miss Elkin used to say that too 😁)

Find the best dinner service, a few artfully arranged flowers, herbs, starched napkins instead of a bit of kitchen roll. Sound the dinner gong instead of yelling '*DINNER*!

It's just too cold to nip outside and pick herbs tonight.
My standards have dropped. blush

kittylester Tue 28-Nov-23 17:56:58

Not forward thinking, calli. I brought in my bay leaves and some mint when I did the bird food this morning.

Just realised that I should also have got parsley but will have to make do with frozen. Sorry Miss Elkin.