Gransnet forums

Food

air fryer

(28 Posts)
DianaLouise Sat 13-Jan-24 15:26:50

I had an air fryer bought for me for Christmas are there any recommendations for a book that gives the basics and every day recipes please. Any tried and tested recipes would also be appreciated

Grannynannywanny Sat 13-Jan-24 16:03:46

Here is a link to a previous discussion about air fryers last year with some suggestions and tips.

I hope you enjoy your air fryer. I use mine every day.

www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1322352-Air-fryer-meal-suggestions-please?pg=4

shysal Sat 13-Jan-24 16:58:13

I like a cookbook with photos, so ordered the one below. It only came today, but a quick glance shows some recipes which I might enjoy. Not everything is beige and covered in breadcrumbs! The one I bought before has no pictures, like most of the other ones I considered.
I only bought my air fryer after Christmas, but I have used it most days since. I have cooked banana bread, sausages, toasties, salmon, cottage pie, turkey steak, chicken thighs, sausage rolls, roasted veg and potatoes, and chips from scratch - all successfully. The only failure was toad-in-the-hole which looked risen and brown but the inside was like putty!
I hope you enjoy yours.
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BVCTW3LL?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&tag=gransnetforum-21

welbeck Sat 13-Jan-24 17:04:36

i looked at one in lidl today: 3 litre, salter, £40.
i wondered, but didn't buy it.
i hardly cook at all, so not sure if it would really be used.
i recently had chips that someone made in hers, they were not v nice.
i ate them of course, and thanked her, but it did not sell the idea of an air fryer to me.
she was saying how wonderful, to do them so quickly, but i thought that;s why, they are not cooked properly.
or maybe she didn't know how to operate it, though she's had it a year.

Jaxjacky Sat 13-Jan-24 17:08:11

www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1322352-Air-fryer-meal-suggestions-please

Jaxjacky Sat 13-Jan-24 17:46:33

Sorry Grannynanny you’d already added it.

Charleygirl5 Sat 13-Jan-24 17:50:04

welbeck I never cooked chips before I bought an air fryer mainly because I did not like the oven cook variety.

I only buy French fries, the cheapest I can find and I am 100% certain you would like what I cook.

I do not intend to use my electric oven ever again and my air fryer has paid for itself. How did I cope without it?

LucyAnna Sat 13-Jan-24 17:56:00

I often cook sweet potatoes or ordinary potatoes in the Airfryer - sliced like chips, cut into wedges, or into chunks / sprayed with a little oil. Very quick. Tasty!

Ziplok Sat 13-Jan-24 22:39:56

Did salmon steak in mine tonight. 11 mins to cook 2 mid sized ones at 180 degrees C, no pre-heating with my model, & they were delicious. I followed a bbc good food recipe.
Sweet potato chips cook nicely in it too, but don’t need as long as oven chips or potato wedges, only about 15 mins at 180 degrees, or they tend to burn on the edges. I suppose each model varies slightly, though, so keep opening the drawer to check progress.
I’ve cooked chicken kebabs in it, too. About 20 mins if memory serves me right. However, as I say, check as you’re cooking, as different makes vary.
I’d recommend the bbc good food air fryer book if you’re looking for one with basic ideas to start you off. (Not advertising, by the way, it’s just that I bought one and think it’s helpful - other books are available, plus you can Google recipes on line, including the good food ones).
Really, though, they are a small oven, so treat them as you would your oven, just bear in mind that it’s unlikely that you can do a large roast in one, unless you go for the mini oven type rather than the drawer type.

welbeck Sun 14-Jan-24 00:10:04

Charleygirl5, yours sound tasty; i am sure i would enjoy anything you prepared.
i recognise your good sense.
my friend simply took a raw potato, barely peeled it, sliced it and across, i think sprayed with oil.
i had to pretend the result was as good as she believed; it cert wasn't for me.
the end edges were almost black, the length white, and the inner texture hard.
nothing like any kind of cooked potato, let alone chip.

Charleygirl5 Sun 14-Jan-24 10:43:20

Many items are cook in the oven only. I half the timing but I keep a beady eye on the food. I have my air fryer down to a T. I am partially sighted, and cannot fiddle around with temperatures so the T for everything is 200 C with time adjustments.

I have only ever had one disaster and that was a large prepared mushroom (M&S) which shrunk into oblivion, looked revolting but tasted okay. I will not be buying that again.

I had duck leg a l'orange for Christmas, delicious.

MayBee70 Wed 03-Apr-24 19:55:19

Used mine for the first time today. Did some baked potatoes. Didn’t find them as nice as those cooked in the oven. The skin was nice but the inside was more boiled potato than baked. Ok to have with chilli though. Currently making fairy cakes. If they don’t work I’ll stick them in the oven and turn them into chocolate crunch!

Primrose53 Thu 04-Apr-24 09:47:15

I wish they weren’t called Air FRYERS as they don’t fry and if oil is used at all, it’s just a teaspoon.

My daughter has just obtained one and we just heated up a quiche in it. We were having chips and salad with it so still did chips in oven! 🤣

Lovetopaint037 Thu 04-Apr-24 10:47:47

Primrose53

I wish they weren’t called Air FRYERS as they don’t fry and if oil is used at all, it’s just a teaspoon.

My daughter has just obtained one and we just heated up a quiche in it. We were having chips and salad with it so still did chips in oven! 🤣

It depends which type of air fryer you have. I have a Ninja 400 dual drawer one. So your quiche could have been put in one drawer and your chips in the other. Each can be set appropriately - maybe quiche on bake and chips on airfry with different temperatures and timing. Then by pressing synch the two will finish together. So many different types of fryers, sizes and prices. I have found I can cook anything in mine so long as I can get it the drawers. My daughter now tells me you can get one where there is an option to remove a partition between two drawers so enabling a larger cooking area.

MayBee70 Thu 04-Apr-24 11:39:50

My son has given me his single drawer air fryer and bought a two drawer one for that reason.

Kate1949 Thu 04-Apr-24 13:03:52

Our Ninja 9:1 is a pressure cooker as well as an air fryer. We use one or the other every day. We haven't had the oven on since Boxing Day. We boil eggs in the Ninja, make bread, soup, scones etc in it, boil potatoes and veg. We love it.

GrannyIvy Thu 04-Apr-24 14:33:52

I have a Tefal double drawer airfryer and use it regularly with more success than failures but prefer to do my roast dinner in the oven and bake my cakes in the oven. An airfryer is useful but would never replace my oven. However I am not a very adventurous cook😵‍💫

LadyGracie Thu 04-Apr-24 14:46:46

I have one that decorates my worktop. I prefer to cook the old fashioned way.
My DD however uses hers every day with great success.

AreWeThereYet Thu 04-Apr-24 17:40:31

Kate1949

Our Ninja 9:1 is a pressure cooker as well as an air fryer. We use one or the other every day. We haven't had the oven on since Boxing Day. We boil eggs in the Ninja, make bread, soup, scones etc in it, boil potatoes and veg. We love it.

Kate1949 Have you had any success with softboiled eggs? Hardboiled is easy enough but when I do softboiled they always have runny white in them.

Kate1949 Thu 04-Apr-24 17:45:15

Sorry we haven't AreWeThereYet. We've only done hard boiled up to now. I don't like runny eggs. DH does but rarely has one.

BlueBelle Thu 04-Apr-24 17:52:43

I haven’t used an oven for 15 months since I had my airfryer but then I m not a sophisticated cook

Oldnproud Thu 04-Apr-24 18:07:32

Last night I briefly microwaved (3 - 4 mins) some small chunks of potato, then seasoned and lightly oiled them before putting in the air fryer. Meanwhile, I prepped and lightly microwaved sone veg: chunks of onion and peppers, mushrooms and (added last) halved cherry tomatoes. Seasoned, they then went in the air fryer under the potatoes, that had started to brown.. Lastly I put 2 pork shoulder steaks on top and cooked until they were nicely browned on both sides. Delicious!

Maggymay Thu 04-Apr-24 18:27:10

I rarely use my oven now,I make roast chicken medium size in one drawer in the other drawer roast potatoes and roast carrots all ready in an hour.

MayBee70 Thu 04-Apr-24 19:24:16

Do you cover the chicken with anything?

Maggymay Thu 04-Apr-24 20:20:33

No just spray with a little oil