Gransnet forums

Food

Chai Tea

(31 Posts)
Mazgg Wed 17-Jan-24 17:41:42

Does anyone drink chai tea? My friend tried chai latte when it was being promoted at a local coffee shop and said she found it delicious. Spicy and a pleasant change from 'normal' tea.
I understand it is the usual brew in India and that by saying Chai tea we are saying Tea tea.
I wouldn't want to go to the lengths of using separate spices and wonder if there is an easy way of making it.

Pittcity Wed 17-Jan-24 17:48:59

I use Drink Me Chai tea latte powder. Just add hot water and it's quite nice.
You can also buy tea bags but I don't really rate them.
Coffee shops use a premixed powder unless they are run by someone who can mix the spices.

1summer Wed 17-Jan-24 17:52:07

Yes most supermarkets sell Chai - tea bags, loose tea and even pods. Many are made by well known companies such as Twinings, Pukka, Whittard or supermarket own brands some flavoured.
You make as usual tea.

silverlining48 Wed 17-Jan-24 17:58:23

Had chai tea in India, didn’t like it. It’s cooked in one big pot, tea milk sugar then poured into a cup from a height. Far too sweet for me. Didn’t have seconds. smile

Glorianny Wed 17-Jan-24 18:08:51

Don't like the Chai powders as they are usually too sweet. Chai teabags are great although they differ considerably. I just add milk not sugar.

HelterSkelter1 Wed 17-Jan-24 18:18:07

I was given 2 packets of Tea India teabags.
Masala Chai. One was very strong and not nice. The other was decaff and was lovely. The spices smelt very christmassy and I added milk. I will buy it again. Makes a nice change from coffee.

silverlining48 Wed 17-Jan-24 18:33:20

We visited a tea plantation while we were there and bought back lovely rose and white tea.

CanadianGran Wed 17-Jan-24 18:48:37

I sometimes will have chai. Tetley makes a nice one, as does Twinings. I just make like normal tea. I don't use milk, just a little sugar.

If you're making a latte, then brew the tea a bit stronger because you add foamed milk.

Redhead56 Wed 17-Jan-24 20:20:59

I drink it it’s such a change from black tea I also like fruit teas and in the summer fresh mint tea from the garden.

flappergirl Wed 17-Jan-24 20:50:08

I had Chai at a Dewali celebration (invited by a friend). They made it with a packet of pre made spice mix which they added to the tea along with milk and sugar in a sort of special saucepan.

It was very nice but I wouldn't want to drink more than one or two cups and I love tea.

Freya5 Wed 17-Jan-24 21:26:03

Oh no thanks. Had it once, never again. Son loves it though.

silverlining48 Thu 18-Jan-24 09:21:42

Yes the chai in India is cooked (and cooked )all together in a big pan. Very Sweet and milky
Imagine teabags bought here are completely different

pascal30 Thu 18-Jan-24 09:34:40

I like chai latte in cafes.. also have twinings chai tea at home but prefer builders tea..

Mazgg Thu 18-Jan-24 09:45:17

Thank you all for your interesting replies. I will experiment to find which I prefer.

NotSpaghetti Thu 18-Jan-24 09:52:13

I use a spice "pre-mix" now with honey - but in the 1970s used regular tea with the addition of cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and black pepper. My friend also used nutmeg and ginger. I make chai tea maybe once every week or 10 days and yes, boil it up in a pan including the milk or have even put the whole lot in my milk frother if it was a totally milk version.

JackyB Thu 18-Jan-24 13:18:48

I used to like the chai served in a local Indian restaurant after dinner. It was the only place I could get a nice cup of milky tea anywhere here in Germany. However, no Indian restaurants near here any more.

I do have a sachet of something called chai in the cupboard. I might try it later. It's probably over its sell-by date.

FrankandEarnest Sat 03-Feb-24 21:05:42

YOGI Sweet Chai Tea bags, warming, will keep your sinuses clear, a wonderful infusion

SheepyIzzy Thu 08-Feb-24 19:46:46

I got into Drink me Chai vanilla latte, loved them. Yes, sweet, but it was my daily treat. Then local Tesco stopped selling it, Brexit, Covid etc and I stopped drinking it. I bought some last year, YUCK! My conclusion is that they have changed the recipe as it was pure cinnamon, vile, whereas before it was a hint of warmth.

Also tried one of those turmeric lattes, good grief, it was like slugging down a pot of turmeric powder! It made me heave!

Iam64 Thu 08-Feb-24 19:58:44

I like chai tea as a change, no need to add sugar

SeaWoozle Fri 23-Feb-24 16:01:07

Was made some "real" chai tea a few years ago by a Syrian refugee. Hot milk, loose tea, loads of spices and lashings of sugar! Absolutely amazing 😍. Nothing has replicated it since.

BlueBelle Fri 23-Feb-24 16:08:08

I don’t like it

NotSpaghetti Fri 23-Feb-24 16:12:34

SeaWoozle that's how we made it in the 1970s - but with honey instead of sugar - when I was a student.
The "pre-mix" I use now has the spices and the black tea and honey in a jar and I dollop a teaspoon into milk and cook it as before.
It means I'm not tempted to make a gallon of it at once grin

Bubbe Fri 23-Feb-24 22:32:10

I've tried a few mixes and my favourite is Vadham's Original Chai blend. No sugar and the teeniest drop of skimmed milk /or not, as the mood takes me.
I started experimenting when my friend's husband who had Crohn's Disease said he found it a very soothing start to the day.

drainedme Mon 25-Mar-24 04:47:44

I had it once but I really don't like it.

nanna8 Mon 25-Mar-24 07:00:55

My friend loves it and always gets it when we all drink coffee. Me, I can’t stand it. Too sweet even without sugar.