Gransnet forums

Food

Winter Soup Season - What is on the Menú ?

(68 Posts)
Frenchgalinspain Sun 21-Jan-24 13:48:53

Hearty soups are traditionally identified with the winter season. Here is one of our favourite historical Mediterranean soups:
Pasta e Fagioli ( Pasta & Bean Soup)
500 Grams of dried and soaked overnight chickpeas (garbanzos)
2 Tablesp. Butter
5 Tblsps. Extra virgin olive oil of choice - I use 100% Hojiblanca from Tarragona.
2 Medium onions finely sliced
8 cups of water
Diced tomatoes that are de-seeded and peeled or San Marzano in jar or tin.
Orzo or Ditalini Pasta - 100 grams per person. I prepare the pasta in a separate pot.

Place beans in a large bowl and add water to cover. Let stand overnight. Drain beans and rinse.
Melt butter with 2 tablesps of Olive oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the onions (can use shallots or leek or spring onion ) and sauté until tender and translucent - approx. 4 to 6 minutes.
Add the beans in 8 cups of water and the tomatoes with their juices and stir gently during the cooking process. Add a pinch or two of salt to taste and black pepper.
IN BATCHES: Purée 6 cups of soup in the blender. Mix purée and put remainder in the pot. Boil until thick and stir frequently - 10 minutes or so. Season to taste.
Cook the pasta in a different large pot of boiling salted water and a drizzle of Olive oil (prevents sticking). Drain the pasta well and stir into the soup mixture. Ready to serve ..
SERVE with crusty baguette style bread.

MissInterpreted Sun 21-Jan-24 13:59:33

I make soup almost every week, sometimes more than once a week. Last week it was lentil, and today I've made good old-fashioned tattie soup.

Scapa1 Sun 21-Jan-24 14:03:02

Make it every week in wintertime today Scotch broth yummy!,

JaneJudge Sun 21-Jan-24 14:03:51

I just chuck random ingredients into the slow cooker and the soups are always nice. Yesterday I did a veg soup, stock, potatoes, red peppers, sprouts, carrots, celery and some herbs and spices. It turned out quite well

Aldom Sun 21-Jan-24 14:09:10

Over the last couple of weeks I have made a simple, but delicious soup.
4 carrots, 4 sticks of celery, 1 large parsnip, 1 large red onion and a tin of drained lentils. You could, of course use dried. 2 pints of stock. Season to taste. Chop vegetables, add with the stock to a large saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer. About an hour. Blend with a stick blender. Delicious and nourishing. I sometimes sprinkle grated cheese onto my bowl of soup.

Witzend Sun 21-Jan-24 14:12:03

Ours yesterday was yellow lentils, onion, carrot, swede, celeriac, turnip, parsley, one each chicken and veg stock cubes, chopped leek and cauliflower for the last few minutes only, plus some leftover cheese sauce from the other day.

I will have to make extra cheese sauce on purpose next time, it was an excellent addition!

Gwyllt Sun 21-Jan-24 14:15:53

Veg box clear out soup
Always good never the same

wildswan16 Sun 21-Jan-24 14:57:00

The only soup I make these days is Lentil + whatever veg is hanging about. Can’t be doing with anything requiring more than chucking it in the pan. Lasts me four days lunches at a time.

silverlining48 Sun 21-Jan-24 15:04:35

I regularly make red lentil soup too, especially in winter. No need to soak, just chuck in lentils, what veg is about or needs using, an oxo type cube, tin of tomatoes, garlic, sometimes add cannellini beans, or whatever you like. Season as you like. Cook slowly, lid on, stir occasionally and enjoy. Lasts us days or if we want can easily be frozen.

RosiesMaw Sun 21-Jan-24 15:05:41

Spiced parsnip with kale crisps.
I won’t bore you with the recipe but if you are interested in googling, it was a Waitrose one.

Primrose53 Sun 21-Jan-24 15:08:27

I make gallons of soup.
We like Curried Parsnip, sweet potato and red pepper, bacon and red lentil, cream of tomato, broccoli and stilton, cheesy courgette. Last week I made a lovely soup from 7 vegetables.

Norah Sun 21-Jan-24 15:10:13

Black bean over rice&quinoa
Lentil with potatoes
Carrot & sweet potato
White beans & Broccoli
Potato & carrot, ground chickpea thickener (protein)

Favourites ^^ of the 100s I make.

DamaskRose Sun 21-Jan-24 15:11:36

Gwyllt

Veg box clear out soup

Me too - Garbage Soup! Never tastes anything but delicious!

Urmstongran Sun 21-Jan-24 15:16:08

We had a mug of Baxter’s cream of tomato soup with our salad roll at lunch. It was delicious. Open the can, heat & serve. And no need to be eating the same soup for days on end …
😁

Pammie1 Sun 21-Jan-24 15:22:10

Our friend is in a seasonal shooting club and has been providing us with pheasant recently. It makes excellent soup - a scotch broth type with barley and winter veg. Making the most of it as the season ends on 1st February.

Shelflife Sun 21-Jan-24 16:23:37

I use whatever is in the fridge and needs eating , add stock cube ,onion- whatever I can find. My DH says " that was good will you make it again" The answer is no , because my soups are always different and depend on what left overs I have - he can't understand that!!

62Granny Sun 21-Jan-24 16:25:01

I usually make a mixed vegetable with either lentils or pearly barley, but I made a tomato and lentils one the other day which was really tasty.
1 x potato, carrot large, onion and tin of chopped tomatoes + 1 and half time of water and a small cup of lentils , (I actually used a ramekin) 2 stock cubes some chilli flakes and oregano , in the pressure cooker for 10 mins and blitzed . Also love butternut squash soup.

Patsy70 Sun 21-Jan-24 16:25:45

Urmstongran

We had a mug of Baxter’s cream of tomato soup with our salad roll at lunch. It was delicious. Open the can, heat & serve. And no need to be eating the same soup for days on end …
😁

😂

Roasted sweet potato, red pepper, red onion, celery, chilli, garlic, herbs, veg stock, seasoning - I think that was all.🤔 It was delicious.

Frenchgalinspain Sun 21-Jan-24 16:32:27

Wow .. What a pleasant surprise to see so many participants today with scrumptuous soup recipes and ideas.

Thank you to Ladies.
Nice Sunday wishes.

Stansgran Sun 21-Jan-24 16:38:42

I’ve got soup mix soaking for surprisingly enough soup mix soup which was a Lindsey Bareham recipe from the times long ago.ssometimes have a ham hock in the slow cooker but I did gammon last week and I’m using the leftovers.

Siope Sun 21-Jan-24 16:41:13

This week it will be butternut squash soup, and celery soup, because those are what's hanging about in fridge.

Deedaa Sun 21-Jan-24 16:44:44

The current favourite is Hamburger soup which, as its name suggests, is American. Basically minced beef, onions, carrots, celery, potatoes and potatoes, with beef stock, tinned tomatoes and bell peppers.

This weekend it was leek and potato, with some left over bacon and a bit of grated cheese. I love Pasta et Fagioli and Sweetcorn Chowder, but DS doesn't eat beans or sweetcorn.

Grandmadinosaur Sun 21-Jan-24 16:45:19

Spicy parsnip is a big favourite of mine also sweet potato and mushroom.

Witzend Sun 21-Jan-24 16:49:23

DamaskRose

Gwyllt

Veg box clear out soup

Me too - Garbage Soup! Never tastes anything but delicious!

It’s called Dustbin soup here (my mother coined that term) - whatever you’ve got/whatever needs using up.

Staples here include red or yellow lentils, pearl barley, sometimes orzo pasta, but always several different veg chopped small. Plus any leftovers, e.g. boiled or mashed potatoes, parsley sauce, that last, lonely, dried up rasher of bacon or slice of ham, etc.
I hardly ever make a blended soup. And there’s usually grated cheese to add.

Now and then I make a minestrone with a tin of chopped tomatoes, garlic, onion, celery, a tin of kidney or other beans, Italian herbs, stock cubes, pasta (obviously), sundry veg, and serve with grated cheese and garlic bread out of the freezer, assuming that we haven’t already eaten all the last batch.

Baggs Sun 21-Jan-24 16:51:43

Summa soup here: some ‘o’ this and some ‘o’ that, using up leftovers. Never the same; always good.