Gransnet forums

Food

The difference a little lemon zest/juice can make…

(41 Posts)
Witzend Mon 26-Feb-24 17:31:10

I made some oat biscuits earlier - so quick and easy, but IMO vastly improved by a little lemon zest and juice.

Ditto banana bread - a dd frequently makes this - they’ve so often got over-ripe bananas, but to me it’s over-sweet and is vastly improved by lemon zest.

posset Mon 26-Feb-24 17:38:03

Sounds like a good idea, I'll do that next time I make them. Usually I shove in some ginger powder, or cinnamon, or both.

halfpint1 Tue 27-Feb-24 12:41:26

Thanks for posting this. I made Banana bread last night
and added just the lemon zest and yes it did give more flavour.
I shall try adding the juice as well next time Good suggestion.

Nannylovesshopping Tue 27-Feb-24 19:28:54

I use lots of lemons, squeezed over grilled chops, into a fish chowder, with baked fish, chicken and of course in the gin, gorgeous little gems of deliciousness 🙂

MissInterpreted Tue 27-Feb-24 19:56:33

I find that, with many dishes, if you taste them and feel there's just something lacking, a squeeze of lemon juice often makes all the difference.

foxie48 Tue 27-Feb-24 20:34:51

I often put a little olive oil, black pepper and a squeeze of lemon on green veg before serving. Healthier than butter and really tasty.

Doodledog Tue 27-Feb-24 21:33:29

You probably all do this anyway, but in case it hasn’t occurred to anyone, I cut unused lemons into wedges and freeze them to use as ice cubes. Even a glass of water is livened up by them.

Marydoll Tue 27-Feb-24 21:41:52

I have just added lemon juice to my lamb kebab marinade, to see if it improves the flavour.

granfromafar Tue 27-Feb-24 21:48:03

Doodledog

You probably all do this anyway, but in case it hasn’t occurred to anyone, I cut unused lemons into wedges and freeze them to use as ice cubes. Even a glass of water is livened up by them.

That's a great tip. Will buy a lemon tomorrow and do that!

Norah Tue 27-Feb-24 22:32:01

I add lemon (or lime) zest and juice often when cooking.

Orange zest or juice is good in many foods as well.

I freeze the skins, after using juice, easy to zest frozen skins.

Sparklefizz Wed 28-Feb-24 08:39:07

Doodledog

I do this.

Baggs Wed 28-Feb-24 08:47:00

I thoroughly agree, Witz. The trouble is, my guts disagree quite violently! 😳

Redhead56 Wed 28-Feb-24 09:09:54

I love lemons and limes I use them in sweet and savoury it’s so easy to make salad dressings with them.

Esmay Wed 28-Feb-24 09:44:51

I love lemons and limes as well .
Apart from being good for you -
They are yummy on chicken or fish ( especially with capers ) and nice on vegetables too .
They're great in a salad dressing .
I prefer a lemon /lime cake or dessert as they aren't too sweet .
And afterwards , they go in the utensil basket in the dishwasher to prevent any pongs .

JenniferEccles Wed 28-Feb-24 09:51:22

Talking of banana bread my local Waitrose last week had some slightly over-ripe bananas by the door with a sign saying
‘Please help yourself’

What a good idea isn’t it?
They would only have gone to waste and very ripe ones are better for baking anyway.

halfpint1 Wed 28-Feb-24 10:48:16

Before covid and the emergence of banana bread I often binned over ripe bananas, and I'm not normally a waster!

Tanjamaltija Fri 01-Mar-24 11:31:12

I grate some peel into pastry for pies, too.

KnittyNannie Fri 01-Mar-24 11:41:00

Halfpint1: bananas freeze very well for future use in baking.

RakshaMK Fri 01-Mar-24 12:03:43

Try a squirt on fried mushrooms:-)wink

Maggiemaybe Fri 01-Mar-24 12:10:08

I’ve just made some roasted cauliflower soup, which has turned out very bland. I might try a quick squirt.

Rosiebee Fri 01-Mar-24 13:16:36

A good squeeze of lemon juice in the chicken pie filling. Cuts through the creamy sauce, same with fish pie.

Gundy Fri 01-Mar-24 14:33:12

When you're cooking and the food is bland - adding more seasonings isn’t always the answer. What dishes may need is an acidic accent. Lemon is often used. It’s a real flavor booster! And it’s great in baked goods, just because I love lemon 🍋

schnackie Fri 01-Mar-24 14:35:19

I put lemon into so many things, most mentioned here. I have had a severe aversion to vinegar, and was thrilled to find some time ago that lemon juice could be used instead of vinegar in salad dressings.

Bobbysgirl19 Fri 01-Mar-24 15:06:14

I watched a cooking program recently which said lemon juice is great to tenderise meat. Marydoll’s suggestion to add to a marinade sounds spot on.

Witzend Fri 01-Mar-24 15:13:37

We lived in Cyprus for a while ages ago, and the Cypriots would put lemon juice on just about everything - must say it really improves pork chops. My neighbour once came round asking whether I could spare a lemon - she was cooking spinach, and ‘How can you eat spinach without lemon juice?’

‘Er, quite easily,’ I thought - until I tried it!