Gransnet forums

Food

Any recommendations for a good curry sauce??

(92 Posts)
Notagranny44 Wed 06-Mar-24 13:28:51

I spent ages last night making a curry from scratch to use up the leftover chicken from Sunday. By the time I'd finished, I didn't feel like eating it and it wasn't even all that good!
Can anyone recommend a good quality readymade curry sauce that I could just add to the meat and vegetables to save all the time and effort? At 80, with various health problems and generally in constant pain, I feel like taking the easy way.

Grandmabatty Wed 06-Mar-24 13:41:27

Patak? They do a whole range of different sauces

MissAdventure Wed 06-Mar-24 13:45:01

I like Homepride.
Some of the others can be a touch bitter for my taste.

annsixty Wed 06-Mar-24 13:51:51

I am not a curry fan but some family love it and I have found the Lloyd Grossman ones quite good.
They are small and you need two jars for 4 good eaters.

TinSoldier Wed 06-Mar-24 13:53:36

The GoldFish range of pastes in good and economical too as you just need a spoonful or two mixed with hot water.

Also try local ethnic stores for brands you won't find in supermarkets. Mine does a delicious Massaman paste. It comes in a sachet. Just stir into coconut milk or cream and add other ingredients.

kittylester Wed 06-Mar-24 14:04:28

I find Spice Tailor very good. Bit more expensive but worth it. They are quite often on offer

Jaxjacky Wed 06-Mar-24 14:07:23

Pataks are good, Goldfish economical but contain palm oil, Spice Tailor are excellent, but pricey.

LadyGracie Wed 06-Mar-24 14:19:01

I like Pataks Madras, I've tried others but I think this is the best.

Gin Wed 06-Mar-24 15:00:20

I use Patak’s paste, the recipe on the jar is easy though you do have to chop onion, ginger and meat. I find ready-made
sauces usually have thickener in them and it makes the taste floury.

Notagranny44 Wed 06-Mar-24 15:06:41

Thank you for your suggestios everyone. I have used the Pataks pastes for a long time but don't feel like making the effort at the moment even for chopping an onion- it was a cook-in sauce I was looking for. I haven't heard of Goldfish or Spice Tailor before - we're a bit rural, but I'll see if any of our supermarkets in the nearest big town do them. I'm sure our Tesco would do Lloyd Grossman - must give them a go too.

Notagranny44 Wed 06-Mar-24 15:14:31

I do like a really mild curry too, so I suppose that's another limiting factor!

Bobbysgirl19 Wed 06-Mar-24 16:09:18

I like Patak’s Tikka Masala, lovely! and not too hot.

Bobbysgirl19 Wed 06-Mar-24 16:11:48

Also Patak’s Korma is nice. Mild and creamy with lots of flavour.

Scribbles Wed 06-Mar-24 16:16:46

A word in favour of Lidl supermarkets own-brand curry sauces. They do a range from hot and spicy through to gentle and creamy and the quality is excellent. Well worth a try.

BigBertha1 Wed 06-Mar-24 16:19:23

Pataks again here. My SIL was anglo indian who really knew her spices but when she became older and less able to cook she used Pataks everytime.

Greenfinch Wed 06-Mar-24 16:20:19

I like Sharwood’s and it is generally less expensive than Patak’s.It goes well with prawns and is a really easy meal.

Esmay Wed 06-Mar-24 16:24:13

Making curries takes time so I sympathesise .
As your chicken is pre - cooked then a jalfrezi curry sauce is recommended and there are lots of ready made jalfrezi sauces .
If you find it too sharp add a blob of plain yoghurt or make a simple raita with by adding cucumber .
I like jalfrezi with roasted peppers and nans or even pitta bread .
And a mango chutney gives it a nice sweet lift .

Susie42 Wed 06-Mar-24 16:26:29

Kohinoor, sold in Asda and Sainsbury’s, I also like the Spice Tailor range but not the cheapest.

V3ra Wed 06-Mar-24 16:34:23

Notagranny44 I'm a lazy time-poor cook.
I buy frozen ready-chopped white onions and frozen puréed garlic and ginger cubes from Tesco. So easy 😁

Callistemon21 Wed 06-Mar-24 17:00:30

V3ra

Notagranny44 I'm a lazy time-poor cook.
I buy frozen ready-chopped white onions and frozen puréed garlic and ginger cubes from Tesco. So easy 😁

You can buy frozen chopped ginger too. Tesco does a small packet.

I found if I bought ginger, I used some and most of it got wasted.

Loyd Grossman sauces are good but not so easily obtainable now.
Sharwoods are fine.

It has to be Geeta's chutney 🙂

dogsmother Wed 06-Mar-24 17:04:53

Im all about ease and convenience but…..I love freshly made. Therefore I use frozen ( well I try to remember I have the frozen onions and garlic ready to go) and then it’s so simple with a mix of curry spices. And mix with whatever meat or vegetables you want curried.

Callistemon21 Wed 06-Mar-24 17:07:21

dogsmother

Im all about ease and convenience but…..I love freshly made. Therefore I use frozen ( well I try to remember I have the frozen onions and garlic ready to go) and then it’s so simple with a mix of curry spices. And mix with whatever meat or vegetables you want curried.

But are you 80, with various health problems and generally in constant pain dogsmother?

dogsmother Wed 06-Mar-24 17:19:14

Not 80. But certainly not without dexterity problems.

Notagranny44 Wed 06-Mar-24 17:45:39

Thanks again, everyone. I've compared the ingredients in Sharwoods and Pataaks Korma sauces, and Payaks has fewer, so I think I'll try that this time - maybe get one of two others in for a bit of vaiety.
Thanks dogsmother for reminding me about frozen onions - I'm going to Iceland tomorrow so I'll get some of those too.
Like you, I like freshly made, but at the moment I just can't be bothered. I am waiting for a call-back from the rheumatologist to see if he's got any ideas about my medication - maybe if he adjusts that I'll feel more like proper cooking!

dogsmother Wed 06-Mar-24 18:32:16

Notagranny. It makes things difficult when you’re not comfortable xx